Post Pictures of Your CX-5 Mods, Upgrades and Accessories!

I can also vouch for japanparts. Many of us replaced our rear headrests with the JDM versions and purchased them through that site.

This company based in Japan sells that lip kit. They are legit, I've purchased a couple parts from them before, not cheap though.

Also available on this site which is legit as well...

Nice but $479 for just the front lip on 2nd link wow. What about the sides and back? Thanks

Happy to report that I've done it, finally. Not an easy mod, I have to say. Followed @Candurin advice and did it without removing the bumper but it was tedious.

IMG_1907.jpg
IMG_1908.jpg
IMG_1909.jpg

Never done any work on this car. I did it on the spot, after work, no jacks, ramp, nothing. I had to figure out what screws/bolts/inserts I had to remove. The process goes slow, not a fast pace. Then I had to squeeze myself under the car trying to find the best position to work and, to my surprise, I discovered that you have to remove the fog light too, you can't just simply put the DRL led strip in. Extra screws to take off, careful because plastic threads and you don;t want to damage the threads, otherwise you need to buy a new plastic mold for the fog light. I could barely fit one hand in, let alone two hands. Probably I found it tedious because it was the first time and I had no idea how the car was assembled together. It was a discovering process. Once I've got everything out I realised I had to make a cut in the fog light plastic molding to make room for the small DRL connector ( I bought the ones that you recommended). Then wasted some time figuring out the routing. I eventually decided to route the harness from the right side to the left side of the car underneath the radiator. Basically, the harness rests freely on the panel until it makes it on the left side. I should mention I started the mod with the right side because that side seemed the more difficult to me. So, just installing the light took me probably one hour and a half, without terminating the wires, just disassembly - install - reassembly everything. Then I spent another 45 minutes deciding on the best wire routing for the yellow wire and the blue wire. Put the yellow wire through heat shrink tubing, ty-raps, ran the wire along the existing harness. Used some environmental splices to connect the two signal wires and that's about it. Again, tight space, could not fit in the wire stripper so I had to find the best position for stripping the wire just enough and be able to use the crimper. Wiring and terminating the wires was, actually, the easy part for me ( my daily job is avionics). I think that, for a regular person with no mechanical inclination , this could be a challenging mod. I was so tired and I was thinking, man, if somebody would ask me to do this mod for his/her car, I would definitely charge 100$/hour. The prices mentioned earlier by someone that did the mod in a autoshop kinda make sense.

So, was it worth it? Hell yes. If you don't mind getting dirty and save few hundreds, do it. If you want to stay clean, pay the money.

I was lucky and had a pair of rhino ramps. Made it easier.

Yeah, I did have some busted knuckles, but, I’d help someone do it again :)

Luckily for me, none of my friends have Mazda CX-5 so they don't need help. 🤣 But I guess a second install would go a lot faster, now that I know what's going on down there.

Mazda's instructions for installing foglights might also be helpful for this (though they do show removing the bumper to do it)

Attachments

• KB7W-V4-600A Fog Lamp Installation.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 134
Never done any work on this car. I did it on the spot, after work, no jacks, ramp, nothing. I had to figure out what screws/bolts/inserts I had to remove. The process goes slow, not a fast pace. Then I had to squeeze myself under the car trying to find the best position to work and, to my surprise, I discovered that you have to remove the fog light too, you can't just simply put the DRL led strip in. Extra screws to take off, careful because plastic threads and you don;t want to damage the threads, otherwise you need to buy a new plastic mold for the fog light. I could barely fit one hand in, let alone two hands. Probably I found it tedious because it was the first time and I had no idea how the car was assembled together. It was a discovering process. Once I've got everything out I realised I had to make a cut in the fog light plastic molding to make room for the small DRL connector ( I bought the ones that you recommended). Then wasted some time figuring out the routing. I eventually decided to route the harness from the right side to the left side of the car underneath the radiator. Basically, the harness rests freely on the panel until it makes it on the left side. I should mention I started the mod with the right side because that side seemed the more difficult to me. So, just installing the light took me probably one hour and a half, without terminating the wires, just disassembly - install - reassembly everything. Then I spent another 45 minutes deciding on the best wire routing for the yellow wire and the blue wire. Put the yellow wire through heat shrink tubing, ty-raps, ran the wire along the existing harness. Used some environmental splices to connect the two signal wires and that's about it. Again, tight space, could not fit in the wire stripper so I had to find the best position for stripping the wire just enough and be able to use the crimper. Wiring and terminating the wires was, actually, the easy part for me ( my daily job is avionics). I think that, for a regular person with no mechanical inclination , this could be a challenging mod. I was so tired and I was thinking, man, if somebody would ask me to do this mod for his/her car, I would definitely charge 100$/hour. The prices mentioned earlier by someone that did the mod in a autoshop kinda make sense.

So, was it worth it? Hell yes. If you don't mind getting dirty and save few hundreds, do it. If you want to stay clean, pay the money.
I wonder in the long run will it have condensation inside led strip or any other issues?

Btw does the add on light ever get out of sync with the factory orange blinkers?
I don't know. If you keep you blinker on for an extended period of time, who knows? I have no idea if they will. But they should not because the LED strips are spliced together with the turning lights, they receive the electric signal in same time so they should never go out of sync.

Nice work you make me want to do this mod and add the lip kit.

Btw does the add on light ever get out of sync with the factory orange blinkers?
To answer all the questions.

1. Nope, never out of sync.
2. Never had a single instance of moisture or condensation.
3. I live in NJ. You pay for flight and I’ll gladly help :) (or wait until I’m in the Bay Area in august).

Back