CX-5 vs CX-50 sales year to date

Hmmm. Perhaps the Mazda article from previous poster is exaggerating???

While the article says it can't compete with McDonald's wages of $20 to $25 per hour, MCD's own website(for Indiana) is offering $13 per hour.

While I completely acknowledge that the newer generation want to start at the top making six figures a year( they all think they'll be influencers) and hence a labor shortage...
There still seems to be a discrepancy in reporting.

Likewise, the article blames shortage of autos(due to shortage of workers) for the sales slump.

Meanwhile I have seen new cx50s sitting on our car lots for months. As well as ued car inventory has gone drastically up. People have cut spending, especially on autos.

Mazda seems to be caught in a loop of misdirection and blaming the wrong factors for their own car slump and worker shortage.

The true reasons are:
they can't hire the skill level the want for the low wage they offer...
And the sales slump is due to the current recession we are entering.
Nice story buddy. The discussion was about the CX50 sale slump and the comparison between CX5 and CX50., not about wage differences and mcdonalds workers. The article, and they are multiple today, reference the same thing, they cannot produce more cars at Alabama due to staff shortage. Its simple as that. That's why you see a "slump" in CX50 sales. They are not slumping, they cannot build more cars.

They have more than enough
Nice story buddy. The discussion was about the CX50 sale slump and the comparison between CX5 and CX50., not about wage differences and mcdonalds workers. The article, and they are multiple today, reference the same thing, they cannot produce more cars at Alabama due to staff shortage. Its simple as that. That's why you see a "slump" in CX50 sales. They are not slumping, they cannot build more cars.
Lol. Then it's a logistical issue.

They have more than enough cx50

The demand is not there....there are plenty on some dealer lots just sitting for weeks/months while it seems maybe other dealers have none.

and MSRP is dropping and inventories are going up.

If the demand were there, they would be completely out of stock and it would be years to get one(like what happened with the Ford bronco)

They are trying to create the scarcity issue. Or just plain bad at logistics.

Anyone that overpays now for the privilege of having one is just plain bonkers.

They have more than enough
Lol. Then it's a logistical issue.

The demand is not there....there are plenty on some dealer lots just sitting for weeks/months while it seems maybe other dealers have none.

and MSRP is dropping and inventories are going up.

If the demand were there, they would be completely out of stock and it would be years to get one(like what happened with the Ford bronco)

They are trying to create the scarcity issue. Or just plain bad at logistics.

Anyone that overpays now for the privilege of having one is just plain bonkers.
I will not pretend that I know what is happening in America, even though you're reality probably is different than in other side of the country. I can tell you that, here, in Great Toronto Area, I am passing daily near a Mazda dealer (not my dealer) and I can see they're lack of CX50, while my dealer has basically none. When I asked them about the availability, as I said previously they told me its a 1yr wait.
No, in Canada its not about MSRP because as far as I know you are not allowed to sell over MSRP. Yes, you they can add stuff but the basic price is at MSRP. So pricing is not an issue. On the other hand, usually dealers are purchasing the cars from other dealers, if they are available. This is not happening, because, there are no cars available. Why ? Same answer. They are not building enough. End of story.

I will not pretend that I know what is happening in America, even though you're reality probably is different than in other side of the country. I can tell you that, here, in Great Toronto Area, I am passing daily near a Mazda dealer (not my dealer) and I can see they're lack of CX50, while my dealer has basically none. When I asked them about the availability, as I said previously they told me its a 1yr wait.
No, in Canada its not about MSRP because as far as I know you are not allowed to sell over MSRP. Yes, you they can add stuff but the basic price is at MSRP. So pricing is not an issue. On the other hand, usually dealers are purchasing the cars from other dealers, if they are available. This is not happening, because, there are no cars available. Why ? Same answer. They are not building enough. End of story.
Actually sounds like they are building enough to meet demand they are just not sending enough to Canada.

I don't buy that it is a low wage, nor factory issue. The Toyota Corolla Cross is made in the same factory alongside the CX50 in Alabama. For October, they sold 7,419 Corolla Cross, roughly triple the sales of the CX50 for the same month.

During the 6-month wait for any Toyota Corolla non-hybrid models available with a deposit at a Toyota dealer in Oakland, California since March this year, I found ALL Corolla Cross’s delivered to the dealership were imported from New Zealand, not from Alabama.

OK, I just did an MSN search for CX-50 Turbo Premium Plus models. At a search radius of 75 miles, there is just ONE (and not in the color I want). Note this car shows 'in transit' and may already be taken. Opening up to 100 miles, gets 3 more at one dealership - again not my color. (By the way, the distance from me to that dealership is shown as 90 miles, but is actually 110 miles by road).

So that's just MY data point.

1668305674618.png

OK, I just did an MSN search for CX-50 Turbo Premium Plus models. At a search radius of 75 miles, there is just ONE (and not in the color I want). Note this car shows 'in transit' and may already be taken. Opening up to 100 miles, gets 3 more at one dealership - again not my color. (By the way, the distance from me to that dealership is shown as 90 miles, but is actually 110 miles by road).

So that's just MY data point.

View attachment 314147
Thats a whole different ballgame...
No manufacturer produces a ton of top of the line models.
Near my area, there are 68 CX-50 of which 28 are turbo's and 5 are turbo premium plus.

The dealership i'm near has 2 turbo premium plus and a boat-load of other CX-50 that have been just sitting on the lot. They are just not selling. It's a Mazda production preference and logistics issue
Mazda chose to produce more of the low end CX-50 instead of the turbo premiums and Mazda chose where to send them. They can produce more but who is gonna buy them?
If they double production, they will have 136 cx 50 on their lots with 10 turbo premiums plus... Customer may have more color selection but they still will have an over-supply and low demand problem.

While there may be high demand and limited supply of the exact model and color you want, overall the CX-50's are just sitting on the lots... Just the same as other cars(new and used) are starting to pile up. Dealers want you to think we are still in a sellers market when we are actually at the beginning/entering a buyers market. Its been a nice run for them but it's over now.

Since you are looking for a particular model and color, your best bet is probably to pre-order what you want and sit back and wait.

Or open up your mileage search and have the car shipped to you. Your dealer could this for you but they want a piece of the action. Thats why they are telling you there will be a wait.
Instead, find what you want at the dealer that has it and buy it from them and have them ship it to you. There may be a shipping charge but it shouldnt be outrageous. Well, shouldnt be...but they are capitalists.

Imo, if you do not need a vehicle right now, and can hold off, prices should drop and if you time it right, interest rates may drop back down slightly as well over the next year/2 years as things normalize. Inventory will also continue to build up.

If you need/want the vehicle now, you can have it but it's gonna cost you. A friend actually had a vehicle shipped from several states over and it was still less than what his local dealer was trying to squeeze out of him. But your experience may vary.

Most people right now are not gonna spend over $40 k with current environment of mass layoffs, high inflation and high interest rates. The CX-50 is overpriced compared to other mazda models(CX-5) and indeed other manufacturer cars.
Production is not the CX-50 sales slump problem. They are producing a vehicle that few people want during a volatile economy when the customers out there are looking for value.

Last edited:
Since you are looking for a particular model and color, your best bet is probably to pre-order what you want and sit back and wait.
Yeah, that's exactly what I have done, but no idea when it'll come (could be >3months). So then the question is why doesn't Mazda prioritize the orders?

Interesting points about the model imbalance, though. Uggh.

I don't buy that it is a low wage, nor factory issue. The Toyota Corolla Cross is made in the same factory alongside the CX50 in Alabama. For October, they sold 7,419 Corolla Cross, roughly triple the sales of the CX50 for the same month.

In my mind, while the CX50 has some differences from the CX5, it is not significantly better, yet it costs more. This is the basic issue, and this is why the sales are going to be slow. Perhaps when the CX50 gets the hybrid powertrain, and the CX5 does not, then the CX50 will be a more attractive proposition. So far, the market is not responding well to it, and Mazda should seek to understand why that is.
First of all, corolla cross has been produced since September 30th, 2021. Cx50 has started production January 27, 2022. Thats 4 months difference. And again you are comparing sales from Toyota, largest car manufacturer in the world with Mazda, small player.
Yeah, that's exactly what I have done, but no idea when it'll come (could be >3months). So then the question is why doesn't Mazda prioritize the orders?

Interesting points about the model imbalance, though. Uggh.
There is an interesting article on the internet in which one of the Mazda representatives said that the bulk of theyre sales come from top trims. And they are happy with that because even they sell in smaller numbers, they get higher profits due to Mazda customers prefering the top trims.

There is an interesting article on the internet in which one of the Mazda representatives said that the bulk of theyre sales come from top trims. And they are happy with that because even they sell in smaller numbers, they get higher profits due to Mazda customers prefering the top trims.
Hmm. Well, that does counter to this:
Near my area, there are 68 CX-50 of which 28 are turbo's and 5 are turbo premium plus.

I read today that in the province of Quebec where I live, for the first 9 months of the year the CX-5 was the second best selling compact SUV behind, you guessed it, the RAV 4 beating the CR-V who came 3rd! I think this is a first for the CX-5. I don't have the CX-50 numbers but I'm sure they're low. Mazda has always been very popular here.

I was at my dealer a few weeks ago for my first oil change on the CX-5 and heard a sales dude telling a prospective buyer that they'd be happier in a CX-5 vs a 50 unless they were actively off-roading enough to warrant it. They said the 5 would be a better fit for the highway travel we have in Texas. I wonder if other dealers are steering people in such a way as well.

I hope they do. Sounds like an honest salesperson to me. I think most folks are better off with the CX-5 as lower in price, and the lighter weight fits the powertrain better.

I hope they do. Sounds like an honest salesperson to me. I think most folks are better off with the CX-5 as lower in price, and the lighter weight fits the powertrain better.
Yes. The CX-5 is perfect for mostly highway use and adverse winter weather with modest off-road use.
Hugs the road with just the right amount of pep in the engine and great gas mileage.
For the driver that uses mostly for commuting/shopping but occasionally drives down some dirt/gravel trails or does some light offroading.

The whole CX line is still a unibody...

Imo, at the point you are paying over $40k for an off-road vehicle(CX-50), you should just get a Jeep Wrangler or 4x4 truck.

I would most likely stick with another
CX-5 if they still make them otherwise will be switching to Ford or Dodge trucks or any new hybrid gas/EV trucks.

Last edited:
Recently test drove both a turbo and non-turbo CX-50. Premium Plus and Turbo Premium packages respectfully. Both were super nice and pretty fun to drive. While I am not planning to replace my CX-5 anytime soon though for me personally I would stick with the CX-5 for my daily driver.

We were shopping for my wife. We looked at Toyota and Subaru as well for her. I am personally a Mazda fan boy but my wife wanted to venture out. In the end she is leaning Mazda. We are thinking CX-9 at this point since she wants something bigger than the CX-5. Not sure we want to wait around until later in 2023 for the CX-90.

Recently test drove both a turbo and non-turbo CX-50. Premium Plus and Turbo Premium packages respectfully. Both were super nice and pretty fun to drive. While I am not planning to replace my CX-5 anytime soon though for me personally I would stick with the CX-5 for my daily driver.

We were shopping for my wife. We looked at Toyota and Subaru as well for her. I am personally a Mazda fan boy but my wife wanted to venture out. In the end she is leaning Mazda. We are thinking CX-9 at this point since she wants something bigger than the CX-5. Not sure we want to wait around until later in 2023 for the CX-90.

That is what I recommend. The CX-5 and CX-9 have been out for a long time and Mazda has had time to make them very reliable. Just check out how few complaints are on the CX-5 and CX-9 forums. Not the case for some of the new stuff like the CX-50 which has a dedicated problems forum. 2022+ Mazda CX-50 Complaints, Issues And Problems
cx5022.png

Those are made in Alabama with Mexican made engines (and Japanese engines for turbo models), but the other new hybrid models are also a lot more complex. Then there will be the new six cylinder models, which will be around $50,000 dollars or more. Mazda has stated their intention to raise prices (to pay for the new hybrid tech and six cylinder engines) and prioritize revenue per car over total sales.

Last edited:
If we had a dedicated problems subforum like that (and I'm glad that we don't), I think every model would have a similar number of threads, especially during the first few years of a new model.

Toyota is going to sell more cars because they have more dealers (greater than 2:1 when compared to Mazda and in many more cities).

My local dealer has 11 CX-50's and over 63 CX-5's listed on their site. But if you go to the dealer, they have 1-2 CX-50's and the rest most likely are in transit. They have a good number of CX-30 on the floor.

I am starting to see more and more CX-50's on the road. It is just a mater of time. By us, Volvo is having a hard time with hiring - the unemployment rate is 3.3% and everyone is looking to hire someone. Heck, we can't find physicians or nurses!

Last edited:
If we had a dedicated problems subforum like that (and I'm glad that we don't), I think every model would have a similar number of threads, especially during the first few years of a new model.

roflmao1.png

Rattles, Seats or Trim Falling Apart, Moulding Issues, Road Noise, Rattles, More Rattles.

roflmao2.jpg

I have not seen complaints like this on a CX-5 forum.

cx50222.png

Assorted issues in main forum

roflmao3.png

Last edited:
Back