Toyo A36 tire blew up; Toyo website does not list A36; what to buy?

:
2020 CX5 Signature
I just had a left rear OEM Toyo A36 tire blow out on the freeway on my 2020 CX-5 Signature with 12,500 miles and the only thing left on the rim is the sidewalls. I don't wish to replace all four tires this early in the game. Much to my surprise, the Toyo website doesn't list the A36 tire; perhaps it is an OEM model only.

Anyway, If I can't find one Toyo A36, what can I purchase that will match the other three tires (other that tire wear tread due to the mileage, of course).

Last edited:
tIre rack shows the A36 in stock for $177

I just had a left rear OEM Toyo A36 tire blow out on the freeway on my 2020 CX-5 Signature with 12,500 miles and the only thing left on the rim is the sidewalls. I don't wish to replace all four tires this early in the game. Much to my surprise, the Toyo website doesn't list the A36 tire; perhaps it is an OEM model only.

Anyway, If I can't find one Toyo A36, what can I purchase that will match the other three tires (other that tire wear tread due to the mileage, of course).
You had a blowout but it didn’t have any damage to the wheel well? Lucky you.

When was the last time you checked the tire pressure?

With only 12,500 miles, you may be able to get warranty coverage from Toyo as a defective tire. Contact Toyo USA to find out.

In addition to Tire Rack, any Discount Tire Store or America’s Tire should be able to order a Toyo A36 tire, and shave the tread a bit to match the tread depth to the rest 3 tires as you have an AWD.

You had a blowout but it didn’t have any damage to the wheel well? Lucky you.

When was the last time you checked the tire pressure?

With only 12,500 miles, you may be able to get warranty coverage from Toyo as a defective tire. Contact Toyo USA to find out.

In addition to Tire Rack, any Discount Tire Store or America’s Tire should be able to order a Toyo A36 tire, and shave the tread a bit to match the tread depth to the rest 3 tires as you have an AWD.
As the bead and entire sidewall of the tire is still on the rim, that gives several inches of cushion before you get to the rim. I'll find out tomorrow for sure when a new tire is to be mounted.

I checked the tire pressure yesterday. Got a "low pressure" warning on the way to the mailbox and while all tires looked fine when there, upon returning to the garage checked all four tires and the one that blew was a little low so I added air.

I did NOT get a "low pressure" warning when out this morning. And, of course, because I was late to a doctor's appointment, forgot to check the tire pressures again.

Thanks for the suggestion about a possible Toyo warranty. Having read the pamphlet, it says to present the tire to a dealer. Given that A: there is no tire, only the sidewalls and B: I'm getting a new A36 from a non-dealer, there may be some hoops to jump through.

Unfortunately for me, there are no Discount Tire or Americas Tire near me. I may have to find someone local who offers that service.

As the bead and entire sidewall of the tire is still on the rim, that gives several inches of cushion before you get to the rim. I'll find out tomorrow for sure when a new tire is to be mounted.

I checked the tire pressure yesterday. Got a "low pressure" warning on the way to the mailbox and while all tires looked fine when there, upon returning to the garage checked all four tires and the one that blew was a little low so I added air.

I did NOT get a "low pressure" warning when out this morning. And, of course, because I was late to a doctor's appointment, forgot to check the tire pressures again.

Thanks for the suggestion about a possible Toyo warranty. Having read the pamphlet, it says to present the tire to a dealer. Given that A: there is no tire, only the sidewalls and B: I'm getting a new A36 from a non-dealer, there may be some hoops to jump through.

Unfortunately for me, there are no Discount Tire or Americas Tire near me. I may have to find someone local who offers that service.
Keep in mind that low tire pressure will be more likely cause the tire blowout. The one blew on you may already have some leak, hence it was low and need some air. But the TPMS should give you a warning if it was really low. Hence I believe it’s more likely you got a defective Toyo A36.

From my blowout experience on the highway 3 times on my 1987 VW Vanagon Syncro AWD (hence the gap between the tire and wheel well is huge) with Michelin’s, each time the tire blew would at least scratch some paint on the wheel well area by the metal bead exposed. The 3rd time was the worst, which caused some body damage by the pieces of tire been thrown against. At the time Michelin only gave me a new tire handled by my Discount Tire, but didn’t pay for anything on body damage.

With 12,500 miles your old Toyo’s may still have about 7/32” tread depth left. Keep us posted on your tire shaving experience to match up your old tires.

I just took a screw in my right rear A36, in the sidewall, unpluggable. The tires have 9mm tread on them even though they have 22,000 miles. A tire store wanted me to replace just the two in the rear. Of course, many resources state replace all 4 if you have AWD, as I do. Went to Mazda dealer and they said I was fine just replacing the one tire. You know I got that in writing!

I just took a screw in my right rear A36, in the sidewall, unpluggable. The tires have 9mm tread on them even though they have 22,000 miles. A tire store wanted me to replace just the two in the rear. Of course, many resources state replace all 4 if you have AWD, as I do. Went to Mazda dealer and they said I was fine just replacing the one tire. You know I got that in writing!
Based on my calculation, 9mm = 0.354331” = 11.3386/32” tread depth doesn’t add up to a 22K-mile tire. In theory your 22K-mile Toyo A36 tire should have about 5/32” ~ 7/32” tread depth left. You can always shave a new A36 to similar tread depth matching the other 3. And many tire stores such as Discount Tire or America’s Tire, as well as Tire Rack provide such service.

From my blowout experience on the highway 3 times on my 1987 VW Vanagon Syncro AWD (hence the gap between the tire and wheel well is huge) with Michelin’s, each time the tire blew would at least scratch some paint on the wheel well area by the metal bead exposed.
Wow, 3 blowouts. I also have an '87 Syncro, curious what tires you were running that blew out? Were they rebular passenger tires? XL rated? C or D load range?

Based on my calculation, 9mm = 0.354331” = 11.3386/32” tread depth doesn’t add up to a 22K-mile tire. In theory your 22K-mile Toyo A36 tire should have about 5/32” ~ 7/32” tread depth left. You can always shave a new A36 to similar tread depth matching the other 3. And many tire stores such as Discount Tire or America’s Tire, as well as Tire Rack provide such service.

There is no need for that. Neither differential on US cars has limited slip, so a small diameter difference causes no harm there. Once you reset the TPMS, the diameter difference is moot. I have done just this when I cut a sidewall on one this August that had maybe 15k miles on it.

There is no need for that. Neither differential on US cars has limited slip, so a small diameter difference causes no harm there. Once you reset the TPMS, the diameter difference is moot. I have done just this when I cut a sidewall on one this August that had maybe 15k miles on it.
I agree. Waste of good tire tread to just shave it off.
And if someone's really worried about it, they can just run a little less air in the replacement tire...which should offset any minor tread depth difference.

Wow, 3 blowouts. I also have an '87 Syncro, curious what tires you were running that blew out? Were they rebular passenger tires? XL rated? C or D load range?
My 1987 Vanagon Syncro GL came with alloy wheels and 205/70R14 Michelin tires from factory. These tires were XL rated with maximum inflation pressure at 40 psi. Keep in mind that at the time ALL passenger tires had 32 psi maximum inflation pressure except the “newer” P-Metric tires which had 35 psi. The factory recommended tire pressures on 1987 Vanagon Syncro are 36psi at front and 40 psi at rear. The factory Michelin tires lasted about 30K miles without any issues. It was the Michelin replacements which were exactly the same tires as the OEM kept having blowout problem. But really there was nothing else available for the size、maximum inflation pressure、and load range which met the specs.

Yeah there’s no limited slip differential for front and rear on the CX-5, but there’s a clutch pack in the rear differential which will wear if a tire has different diameter. The TCS will also be activated due to different rotations and wear the brake pads.

my mistake, I meant 9/32", not 9mm.

My 1987 Vanagon Syncro GL came with alloy wheels and 205/70R14 Michelin tires from factory. These tires were XL rated with maximum inflation pressure at 40 psi. Keep in mind that at the time ALL passenger tires had 32 psi maximum inflation pressure except the “newer” P-Metric tires which had 35 psi. The factory recommended tire pressures on 1987 Vanagon Syncro are 36psi at front and 40 psi at rear. The factory Michelin tires lasted about 30K miles without any issues. It was the Michelin replacements which were exactly the same tires as the OEM kept having blowout problem. But really there was nothing else available for the size、maximum inflation pressure、and load range which met the specs.
Thanks @yrwei52. Finding suitable tires for the Vanagon is a challenge, I've switched mine to 16" wheels as nothing but delivery van tires are available for the OEM 14" wheels.

Thanks @yrwei52. Finding suitable tires for the Vanagon is a challenge, I've switched mine to 16" wheels as nothing but delivery van tires are available for the OEM 14" wheels.
Yes, I found the 205/70R14 tire for my Vanagon Syncro is no longer available in the US. My 2.1L Wasserboxer eventually developed coolant leak on “rubber” cylinder head gaskets at 75K miles, and got rid of it a couple of years ago. The 4X4 Syncro system and the 5-speed manual are unique at the time for a van. It gave us all good memories with kids especially for the long road trip to California and Florida from Texas. There’s nothing like this Vanagon nowadays on space and convenience with a build-in double-size bed in the rear and walk-through aisle from front to the back. We definitely miss it!

One day I drove through Adeline St. in Berkeley California, and I saw a row of all kind of Vanagons, I’d say more than 20, parked on the entire street! Not sure why (a Vanagon graveyard? or the Buslab Vanagon Shop?) but it was quite a scene to me!

my mistake, I meant 9/32", not 9mm.
You have driven 22K miles and your A36’s have used only 1/32” tread?

Anyway, if your other 3 tires have 9/32” tread depth, don’t worry about shaving your new tire.

It used to be that anything over 1/4 inch difference was unacceptable. I don't remember where I read that, might been from Subaru. I don't think Mazda has a spec for this, their warning is as vague as their torque specs. Anyway, found this below:

https://tiregrades.com/tire-maintenance/tread-wear/tire-tread-depth/awd-tire-replacement-myth/
Ha ha, I like this! Mazda’s warning on tread depth difference for their AWD is as vague as their torque specs!

On the other hand, if others who believe no need to worry about putting on a new tire with the other 3 old tires on an AWD CX-5 because it has open differential at front and rear, then we shouldn’t even need to put a new pair at a time to the same axle.

Ha ha, I like this! Mazda’s warning on tread depth difference for their AWD is as vague as their torque specs!

On the other hand, if others who believe no need to worry about putting on a new tire with the other 3 old tires on an AWD CX-5 because it has open differential at front and rear, then we shouldn’t even need to put a new pair at a time to the same axle.
True.

Back