Protege5 Motor Mounts - Time to do them

smetzger

03 P5 (x2), 09 Miata, 07 Mazda3, 13 Fit, 09 Ody
It's motor mount replacement time...
Just did them on my daughters Mazda 3 and she was driving the Blue Auto P5 while I did the job. She came back and said "it vibrates at 60 mph just like the 3".
I checked and sure enough the right motor mount is cracked... So I checked my manual P5 and it is also cracked...

1) Is the Front Right Motor mount the same for both the auto and manual?
They look the same to me... but Rock Auto only has one listed for the Automatic and the full kit for the manual doesn't even have a right motor mount

2) Any recommendation on brands?
The economy STP brand has the right side connections. I actually like that better. Of course Partsgeek has DIY Solutions with the extra hardware.

1) Is the Front Right Motor mount the same for both the auto and manual?

All the mounts are different.
I know that the rear mounts are only different in that the one for the automatic has a clip on it to support the shifter cable.
The front left mounts have a different length pin that goes through the mount.
I'm pretty sure the front right mount also has a clip on it for the automatic (or the 5-speed. I forget) that isn't on the other.
And the front mount on the 5-speed has a roll damper on it but not the one for the automatic.
(You might be able to reuse the roll damper though, I'm not sure.)

Make sure that they specify what it's for, or they may not fit.
Back a while ago they didn't list whether it was for an automatic or 5-speed and things weren't fitting.

Be careful with ebay stuff.
I remember Jackie Chan bought ebay mounts and the holes didn't line up.
He had to dremel out the holes to make them fit.

Keep in mind that the rear mounts are a Royal PITA to replace, so you may want to only replace the other 3.

All the mounts are different.
I know that the rear mounts are only different in that the one for the automatic has a clip on it to support the shifter cable.
The front left mounts have a different length pin that goes through the mount.
I'm pretty sure the front right mount also has a clip on it for the automatic (or the 5-speed. I forget) that isn't on the other.
And the front mount on the 5-speed has a roll damper on it but not the one for the automatic.
(You might be able to reuse the roll damper though, I'm not sure.)

Make sure that they specify what it's for, or they may not fit.
Back a while ago they didn't list whether it was for an automatic or 5-speed and things weren't fitting.

Be careful with ebay stuff.
I remember Jackie Chan bought ebay mounts and the holes didn't line up.
He had to dremel out the holes to make them fit.

Keep in mind that the rear mounts are a Royal PITA to replace, so you may want to only replace the other 3.
Well, I am looking at the Right Motor Mounts on the two cars and they look the same.

Manual - front and rear had previously been done by a shop. So, I am just gonna do the right (ordering one for an auto) and the manual trans mount. Front still looked good.

Auto - Gonna order a SKP kit and most likely will not replace the rear.

I'll report back

Reactions: pcb
I found this.
My memory was a bit foggy.

Perhaps they have a universal fit mount that includes the welded tab/clip that will work with both engines?
(assuming that it isn't in the way for the engine that doesn't need it?)

Some info about the left engine mount,..

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. that link about the LH engine mount... that is actually the Right side of the car so it is the Right engine mount.

There may be a difference between the auto and manual ones for that side. Very difficult to tell.
Here is the auto trans, which looks to be less than two inches from housing to center of bolt. But there is a lot of flex in there and maybe it is pushing the mount in.

Manual Transmission
1662052697661.png

And here is the auto trans. Clearly 2 inches. but everything is very straight .
1662052859800.png

All the manual trans ones on both Rock Auto and Parts Geek do not include that bracket with the two bolts.
Possible that previous owner forced the wrong motor mount on. I'll try and get it off this weekend. Hopefully the new part fits or at least that bracket with the two bolts slides out easily.

Here is what the manual trans part looks like
1662053308868.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. that link about the LH engine mount... that is actually the Right side of the car so it is the Right engine mount.

Yeah, it gets confusing.
When you're standing in front of your car looking at the engine, the left side is the right side and vice versa.
If you say passenger side or driver's side, that is switched for the UK, Australia and New Zealand 🇳🇿.

I guess the best way to say it is Timing-Belt side and transmission side.

Both of your engine pictures say that they are pictures of auto trans.

This is LankyKiwi's picture of the manual and auto mounts,..

Screenshot_20220901-160719_DuckDuckGo.jpg

The complete manual mount is on the left and the auto mount is on the right.
They sent him the wrong mount for his manual transmission and the bolt holes were about ½ inch out of alignment.

I don't know what's going on?
Maybe the entire engine is ½ inch closer to the engine bay?

Try measuring between these two bolts on both your cars to see if they are the same.
(the bracket bolt may line up with what it supports and maybe not the engine?)

Screenshot_20220901-162808_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Somehow, somewhere, there's a half inch that is different between the two engines or mounts.
I don't know where it's hiding.

If the engine is closer, then the different pin/bracket should take up that difference and the rubber part of the mount should be the same, but they aren't.

I think that maybe the angle of the pin on the bracket may be different?
That would mean the rubber part of the mount would be different between the two engines.

Screenshot_20220901-165053_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Yellow is the manual trans. I added a label.

When I get the manual trans one off, hopefully tomorrow. I can take a close look. Very difficult to tell when it is on the car.

I called the dealer they are two different part numbers for the two cars. But $288 instead of $40-50 for afermarket.

Well.... It worked :)

I think the guy above could have gotten it to fit if he just wiggled the engine a little bit.
Both SKP and Beck/Arnley right motor mounts for Auto trans fit on a manual transmission car. So for future reference...

1. When ordering make sure it has the circled part. Or its gonna be heck getting the old one off and the new on on..
1662230443220.png

2. When putting the new one on, wiggle the engine a little bit to get holes to line up.
Finger tighten bolts on the frame of the car first then
Finger tighten nuts on the engine
tighten bolts on the frame
Tighten bolts on the engine

Now for the manual transmission mount...

All of my mounts except the manual transmission mount have been replaced with OEM parts. I simply can't tell if that last mount actually needs replacing or not. Anyone have any advice on how to inspect it, or do I just remove battery/tray, air box, coolant overflow, etc. and stick my head in there? :D

All of my mounts except the manual transmission mount have been replaced with OEM parts. I simply can't tell if that last mount actually needs replacing or not. Anyone have any advice on how to inspect it, or do I just remove battery/tray, air box, coolant overflow, etc. and stick my head in there? :D
There really isn't a good way to tell unless you remove everything.

If the other's were bad it is a good bet that this one is bad also.

Back