Engine mounts

:
2x 2001 SP20 323's
Gidday guys and girls, does anyone know if the LH engine mount (timing belt end) can be split? I've got the mount out but need to remove the cast iron shaft that bolts to the engine so I can replace the rubber mount and put in some urethane inserts. I'm assuming it can be as all the replacement mounts for sale are just the chassis side without the cast iron bit

Any good methods apart from hitting it with a BFH?

I don't know how other guys did it but I think they just hacked off the old rubber then struggled to get the shaft into the new mount.
Soapy water may help?

One thing to note though is that the shaft is a different length between the automatic and standard transmission and the other rubber part is slightly offset.

Some guys had the wrong mount and when they installed the shaft then went to install it on the car it would twist the whole engine off-kilter.

I have no idea why the mounts are different but I'm pretty sure that if you had the complete mount including the shaft, it will fit either the automatic or standard.

So make sure your new mount is specifically designed for your transmission or it won't line up properly.

If your part supplier didn't specifically ask what transmission it is for, then beware.

They are almost identical just offset differently by about 1/2".

Last edited:
Thanks PCB, will definitely check before I buy a new mount!

I'll have to split the mount somehow as I want to stick AWR inserts in it, and cutting the insert would probably defeat the purpose!

I thought you had a new mount , and that you just had to remove the shaft from your old one and put it in the new one??

I'm thinking...
Rip the shaft out of your old mount.

Install the inserts in your new mount, and jam the old shaft into the new mount.

Are you installing inserts into your old mounts??

Just do this..
Window Weld.

"so I can replace the rubber mount and put in some urethane inserts."

If you're replacing the rubber mount then just hack out the old one...

Yep, did the window weld trick to the front and rear mounts lol, have the AWR inserts for the side mounts, haven't bought a new mount yet, just wanted to see if there were any tricks in getting the shaft out of the original, but I think it'll be a hack and whack job 😊

Getting the shaft in to the new mount might be a challenge!

I'm just guessing but it may help to reinstall the rubber part of the mount to support it while you pull on the shaft part.
I know some guys managed to remove it without hacking it to pieces.

Ohh... One more thing of note, I remember one guy had a standard transmission but found that the mount for the standard was way more money than the mount for an automatic.
I think he purchased OEM from the dealer and went with the mount for the automatic instead to save money.
The mount came with the shaft and fit in his standard perfectly.

thanks guys
@pcb, yep that seems to be the case, Manual mounts are around $30-40 more than auto mounts across the board

Why Mazda, Why? :p

CV shafts too...

I could see why they would put in tougher half shafts on a manual, but why just one side???

Update time.
bought a new mount off a reputable dealer that was specified as a MT mount, turns out it's not :(
20200118_131549.jpg

Grrrrr, will try and return it, otherwise will press the original cast piece out and swap it over

Also did more reading, apparently the AWR inserts will squeeze over the shaft, so no need for cutting, yay!

The used one came with the shaft.

It will probably fit. The mount and shaft are matched.

As far as I know, either entire mount including the shaft will fit either a standard or auto transmission.

Try it the way it is.
You'll know if everything lines up.

As far as I know, one mount has a shaft that is about 1/2" longer but the rubber mount is offset by that same 1/2".

It's when you swap shafts that the alignment goes off.

It kinda makes sense because it's not like the whole engine sits 1/2" closer/further away from the engine bay between the auto and standard.

Last edited:
Used mount (lh side) is the one from the car, RHS is a brand new unit advertised as MT :( the hole centres are about half an inch out, so what you've said makes sense :)

Will try and swap it over, hopefully the dealer has a MT mount in stock!

Back