Best place for touch up paint? Clear Coat?

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 132k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
So I had a little bit of a uhh...scraping incident involving me and the side of a parking garage leaving after working far too long and hard this week and my mind apparently elsewhere. Needless to say that was a jolt to full awareness and another case study of don't drive when exhausted.

Anyway, I was able to clean up most of the lesser scratches and all the paint transfer through clay, compound, polish with the DA polisher. But I have some deep scrapes on the edge of one panel that will definitely need probably some sanding, touch up, etc.

So where's the best place to get touch up paint? Do you then need to spray on some clear coat? I am a bit new to handling deeper scratches.

Its a 2014 CX-5 Touring in Jet Black Mica.

Last edited:
Painting is not my forte. I've found that unless it's minor dings/ chips in the paint, that painting is best left to professionals. If the scratches are over a substantial area, you might want to find a local body shop that would do the work at a reasonable price. Unlike a roof rail or spare tire, if you mess it up your bumper and fender panels, there's no going back. Again it depends how large and how bad the area is and your experience level as to whether you feel confident to tackle the job.

When I had the Mazda 6, I personally used Dr. Colorchip - Squirt and Squeegee kit, it works, colors matched and the technique to cover chips were better IMO. Dr. ColorChip |
I will check them out as well, thanks!
Painting is not my forte. I've found that unless it's minor dings/ chips in the paint, that painting is best left to professionals. If the scratches are over a substantial area, you might want to find a local body shop that would do the work at a reasonable price. Unlike a roof rail or spare tire, if you mess it up your bumper and fender panels, there's no going back. Again it depends how large and how bad the area is and your experience level as to whether you feel confident to tackle the job.
Yeah its not something I've ever done before, but that particular door has been scraped before and I was living with it as it wasn't noticeable. Since it got scraped again worse figured I could try my hand at fixing and maybe learn how to do something in the process. I'm not afraid to fail at it. Other parts of the body need work, so car won't end up any worse than it is now in the grand scheme of things.

Car really needs some paint correction and front bumper has a hole in it from way back when maybe first 6 months of owning, some metal came flying out of the back of a guys pickup truck and lodged into the bumper. Then he quickly disappeared off that freeway.

I will check them out as well, thanks!

Yeah its not something I've ever done before, but that particular door has been scraped before and I was living with it as it wasn't noticeable. Since it got scraped again worse figured I could try my hand at fixing and maybe learn how to do something in the process. I'm not afraid to fail at it. Other parts of the body need work, so car won't end up any worse than it is now in the grand scheme of things.

Car really needs some paint correction and front bumper has a hole in it from way back when maybe first 6 months of owning, some metal came flying out of the back of a guys pickup truck and lodged into the bumper. Then he quickly disappeared off that freeway.
Yeah. As long as you've decided it's a project car, go to it.

I tried touching up the chips in a 13 year old hood. Once started, there ending up being so many in the badly chipped hood that I tried to sand down and repaint. Didn't go too well. The sanding and primer and even paint went on well thanks to friends advice. And the paint adhered well too.
So far so good. But once I clear-coated and it dried, it didn't match the rest of the vehicle.
It definitely stuck out.

So just be careful. Even if you get it sanded and prepped perfectly, Professionals have years of paint matching experience and materials that is worth the $$. Far better paints than the spray can stuff we use.

Yeah. As long as you've decided it's a project car, go to it.

I tried touching up the chips in a 13 year old hood. Once started, there ending up being so many in the badly chipped hood that I tried to sand down and repaint. Didn't go too well. The sanding and primer and even paint went on well thanks to friends advice. And the paint adhered well too.
So far so good. But once I clear-coated and it dried, it didn't match the rest of the vehicle.
It definitely stuck out.

So just be careful. Even if you get it sanded and prepped perfectly, Professionals have years of paint matching experience and materials that is worth the $$. Far better paints than the spray can stuff we use.
That is an excellent point and I will keep it in mind. Maybe I'll get a quote to fix first before I make a decision.

You want a supplier that will send . primer, paint and sealer or clear coat. The paint you are trying to match is over 2 yar old so don't expect miracles in color matching.

Mica black however tends to be a more forgiving when blending old paint.
My Mazda is Mica black and I am constantly adding or changing or touching up body parts. Most of the time unless you are in the body painting business you can't see the new comparing older paint.
The spray can mica black is a very good match and is easily applied.
As I said mica black is very forgiving when it comes to color matching and blending old paint with new.
Look at Dupli-color BMZ1159 16w
The picture is an aftermarket universal rear spoiler that I sanded primed with rattle can and applied the Dupli-color BMZ1159 16w . This was 2 years ago . This picture I just took.

Attachments

• IMG_20220720_183802988edit.jpg
    IMG_20220720_183802988edit.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
You want a supplier that will send . primer, paint and sealer or clear coat. The paint you are trying to match is over 2 yar old so don't expect miracles in color matching.

Mica black however tends to be a more forgiving when blending old paint.
My Mazda is Mica black and I am constantly adding or changing or touching up body parts. Most of the time unless you are in the body painting business you can't see the new comparing older paint.
The spray can mica black is a very good match and is easily applied.
As I said mica black is very forgiving when it comes to color matching and blending old paint with new.
Look at Dupli-color BMZ1159 16w
The picture is an aftermarket universal rear spoiler that I sanded primed with rattle can and applied the Dupli-color BMZ1159 16w . This was 2 years ago . This picture I just took.
Thanks!

Yeah my CX-5 is almost 10 years old so :LOL:.

Back