CX-60 Towing Capacity

I didn’t realize that Sweden was pushing for this. A towing capacity of 2,500kg (5,500lbs) would be a big selling point for some people and will likely apply to the CX-70/90 as well.

One of the arguments Mazda uses to sell the CX-60 is the high towing weight of 2.5 tons.

"It took some work from us in Europe to convince Japan to offer a high towing weight. In Japan, towing weight may not be a completely unknown concept but almost no one pulls trailers. Sweden is one of the countries with the highest requirements for towing weight. Previously, many customers were dissatisfied with the towing weight, but now it is at 2.5 tons without restriction on the slope of the road.

Is there any official rating in USA?
I don't remember there is one.

AFAIK (might be wrong), automakers announce their ratings ... and, of course, they need to stand behind such claims.

Heavy trailer puts stress on engine, cooling, transmission, etc. And, stability control algorithm might also need to be revised... Fish-tailing can be scary. Over-heating is detrimental.

The US CX-5 has a much lower tow rating than other country models. I assume something similar for upcoming models. The CX-60 isn't planned for the US.

I am thinking the same. Towing rating in europe is very often higher than in the US.

The towing limit of a UK CX-5 is 2000 kg (braked). Or the equivalent to 4400 lbs. (Even with the 2.0 liter engine).

In the US i believe it is 2000 lbs. (With no mention of braked or not)

Last edited:
I am thinking the same. Towing rating in europe is very often higher than in the US.

The towing limit of a UK CX-5 is 2000 kg (braked). Or the equivalent to 4400 lbs. (Even with the 2.0 liter engine).

In the US i believe it is 2000 lbs. (With no mention of braked or not)
US is 1000 un-braked, 2000 braked.

Back