Pep Boys - 2016 CX-5 oil change

Greetings....looking for advice please on oil change for a 2016 Grand Touring, 35,000 miles - is there a special oil (full synthetic, brand?) and oil filter I should request? I've not had an oil change in about 15,000 miles. I'm having the oil change done at my local Pep Boys. I installed a new engine filter myself a few days ago.

Also, I'm having a set of Continental CROSS CONTACT LX25 225/55R19 tires fitted by Pep Boys (ordered on Amazon $200 each) - anything I should keep an eye out for when they're installing them? I still have the original Toro OEMs which have been the harshest ride I've ever known on any car I've ever driven so defo looking forward to the Continentals.

Thanks,

Last edited:
15000 OCI is way too much. most manufacturers recommend 7500mi but imo this is cheap insurance so i change every 5000, even with synthetic.

re oil...i'd do a premium fully synthetic such as pennzoil platinum or castrol edge along with a wix or oem filter.

Upvote 0
If you were underneath and changed the oil filter, why not change the oil also while you had everything apart down there? 15,000 miles? What kind of oil was in there for so long?

Upvote 0
If you were underneath and changed the oil filter, why not change the oil also while you had everything apart down there? 15,000 miles? What kind of oil was in there for so long?
I sincerely hope he's talking about the engine AIR filter he changed and not the oil filter.

Upvote 0
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20, with OEM Mazda oil filters. I get the oil for $25/5 quarts from Amazon, and the filters from online dealerships for $6 each when I buy a pack of 6 (Usually Quirkparts). And I change it every 5,000 miles, and I do tire rotations at the same time.

Never, ever, stretch to 15,000 miles again! Just don't. Keep looking at your odometer. When you get to the next "5", change your oil. So, 35,000, 40,000, 45,000, etc. That makes it easy to remember.

Also, at 35,000, it's time for a drain and fill of your ATF. You should be using Mazda type FZ fluid, and you'll need between 4 and 5 quarts. It's even easier than an oil change, so there's absolutely NO reason not to do it.

Upvote 0
Greetings....looking for advice please on oil change for a 2016 Grand Touring, 35,000 miles - is there a special oil (full synthetic, brand?) and oil filter I should request? I've not had an oil change in about 15,000 miles. I'm having the oil change done at my local Pep Boys. I installed a new engine filter myself a few days ago.
Agree with other posters, 15,000 miles is too long, but what's done is done. Hopefully you were checking the level periodically and keeping it topped up.
Replacing the oil filter without changing the oil at 15,000 miles is useless. You'll need to replace it again when you change the oil. Check the owners manual, but I assume it says 0w20. It will be synthetic oil only at that grade. There is no 0w20 that is non synthetic. The brand won't really matter. They are all more than adequate. As for a filter, I'd go to a Mazda dealer and buy the factory filter and have Pep Boys install it.

Upvote 0
As others have said, I agree that 15k miles is too long. Stick to 5k-7.5k mile oil change intervals.

Anyway, its pretty simple, the owner's manual calls for either 0w20 or 5w30 full synthetic oil. Brand doesn't really matter. I usually go with what's on-sale at Walmart for the 5 quart jugs, so usually between Castrol Edge and Pennzoil Platinum. I personally use 5w30 as I don't seem to lose as much oil between changes with it like I did with the 0w20. All these oils as far as I can tell have been updated to the newer GF-6 rating, so any of them should be a good choice.

Some prefer to use the Mazda Moly 0w20 oil which is high in traditional moly, but definitely not necessary.

As for filter, get either the Mazda OEM filter from a dealer, or else a Wix 57002.

Upvote 0
I never let my oil change go 15k miles per change. When running synthetic mix I go 5k-7.5k miles. When I get a good deal on full synthetic I’ll let her go to 7.5-10k miles. But that goes out the door if I’m driving aggressively, launching car hard, track racing, etc.

Upvote 0
I have to believe that the OP is pulling out legs :) How many years did it take to get 15K for the oil change? My car is almost 4 years old and doesn't have 15K. And why on earth would he change the oil filter that will have to be changed?

Upvote 0
AVOID Pep Boys! Incompetent.

RTM! Follow its recommendations. Top quality synthetic oil will go 15k miles, or more, but if you were using it, you'd know what oil to use. I run Quaker State Ultimate Durability synthetic. I run Mobil 1 in other cars.

Upvote 0
As an aside, Have Discount Tire install your new tires. Tires is all they do. Also, wouldn't let Pep Boys, Quick Change, or "Iffy" Lube change my pine cone air freshener

Upvote 0
Always depends on the attitude and experience of the place and person doing the work. I don't think it is proper to make general statements or offer advice if you have no personal experience at the place.

Upvote 0
Oil analysis form the Black Stone Labs tends to show that many newer engines can and do go over 7k miles with no critical concerns. I have read UOA reports on forums that they even suggest to customers changing their oil at 7-10k miles to go another 3-5 k miles next time. But to be clear I change my oil at 3-5k miles religiously.

I am supportive of all service shops and not everybody has a negative service experience, or they would not still be in business. You could say that about just about any service provided on almost any topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem I have with mass market "oil change" shops is that nearly none of them use appropriate oil filters for the various vehicles. Think about it: for all of the dozens of makes, and hundreds of models, there really is no way to carry every possible oil filter SKU.

Lucky for them, but very, very unlucky for us, almost all vehicles use one of just a few thread sizes on their filters. What they do is buy mass quantities of the same filter, and so long as it threads up and tightens down, then that's what you get.

Upvote 0
Back