Off Topic New TV suggestions

Oh, look, just like the 2nd one I posted.
BECAUSE LG IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER FOR A TV.
Why are we still talking? Buy that! :D

The point of this discussion is to consider my options. I was pretty set on the Sony A80J, but after the suggestions made by you and the other posters, as well as this side-by-side comparison, I'm now leaning more towards the LG C1. I'm trying to avoid a snap decision because a TV this size is something that I plan to use and keep for at least as long as I've had my Samsung (about 8 years).

The C1 is currently $300 less than the A80J, which is great, but I see that in the Audio Passthrough section of this comparison, the C1 doesn't offer:

DTS:X via DTS-HD MA via eARC​

5.1 DTS via ARC​

5.1 DTS via Optical​

I'm planning to use my older Pioneer Elite SC-61 receiver and at least a 5.1 setup with this TV. I can upgrade to a newer receiver down the line for Dolby Atmos and such, but are any of these important for my use case as described in the OP?

Bigger is not necessarily better. It depends on the viewing distance.
My 65 Sony , simply put no longer satisfies my viewing interest because of the size. Watching the same movies at my friend's house with hi 80 inch was very much different experience. Both our living rooms have our tv at the same approximate distance which is 15 feet. The 80 inch also is my limit I can get away with without the wife vetoing the whole project.

Attachments

• IMG_20220421_103501246edit.jpg
    IMG_20220421_103501246edit.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 88
No, different model. I agree that if I were buying a 65" OLED it would be an LG. Best bang for the buck.
I'm pretty sure it is the exact same model but part of that shell game BS that retailers do these days. They have a company like LG/Samsung (and I've seen it with Asus routers) where they have one model called example: ALX2345C. That's the main one available at their website. Then they make a version for a major retailer with ONE slight difference and they call it: ALX2345XJR. So when you buy it at BB for $1900 but see it on Amazon for $1600 and you go to get the difference back on a price match.... no no no! Not the same model, sorry. So sketchy.

DTS:X via DTS-HD MA via eARC

5.1 DTS via ARC​

5.1 DTS via Optical​

Sorry to triple quote. Your receiver probably will not support those things. I'm sure you know DTS is a competitor to Atmos. I doubt you'll use the Optical out, will you? I used to think that was THE way to go but I don't think there is any advantage to that over HDMI these days.
Not even sure what the first one even means. Virtual DTS over.... DTS-HD.. over... I know what eARC is but... I'm guessing it' an attempt to create DTS without the required speaker config. I have a sound bar that supports DTS and ATMOS but the way my living room is configured, neither really sounds all that different sadly.
Will you have ceiling speakers? That's the one thing I wish I could do...

Sorry to triple quote. Your receiver probably will not support those things. I'm sure you know DTS is a competitor to Atmos. I doubt you'll use the Optical out, will you? I used to think that was THE way to go but I don't think there is any advantage to that over HDMI these days.
Not even sure what the first one even means. Virtual DTS over.... DTS-HD.. over... I know what eARC is but... I'm guessing it' an attempt to create DTS without the required speaker config. I have a sound bar that supports DTS and ATMOS but the way my living room is configured, neither really sounds all that different sadly.
Will you have ceiling speakers? That's the one thing I wish I could do...

That first one confused me as well, lol. It's why I figured I'd ask.. someone has to know what it means, right? Haha.

I used to have the Samsung set up with the Pioneer receiver, a PS4, a cable box, and a 2.1 speaker setup. I think I had both the PS4 and cable box going straight to the TV via HDMI, plus an optical cable from the PS4 going to the receiver. If I can just use HDMI in the future (might need newer cables), that would be ideal. So no optical is no big deal I guess.

I won't have ceiling speakers because the area has a really high ceiling. I'll most likely stick to tower or bookshelf speakers. Still need to research those as well, but that won't happen until later.

You should get a more current receiver. Your Pioneer doesn't support eARC, not to mention 4k passthrough.

You should get a more current receiver. Your Pioneer doesn't support eARC, not to mention 4k passthrough.

4k passthrough wasn't important at the time because the regular PS4 doesn't output 4k. I got the receiver used for like $300, so I wouldn't complain if I had to upgrade it to get 4k passthrough. I think for the moment, the SC-61 is fine, but if I get a PS5, I would definitely get a newer receiver.

4k passthrough wasn't important at the time because the regular PS4 doesn't output 4k. I got the receiver used for like $300, so I wouldn't complain if I had to upgrade it to get 4k passthrough. I think for the moment, the SC-61 is fine, but if I get a PS5, I would definitely get a newer receiver.
Are you planning on using the TV's built in apps for all your sources, like Netflix? If so, there wouldn't be a need for the 4k passthrough, but then having eARC support becomes more important. For example, our Sony OLED only sends back 2ch PCM audio back to the receiver via optical cable. Even though it should support DD 5.1, it does not for some reason. Maybe the LG is different.

Here's a comparison chart between the connections and their limitations:

HDMI ARC connection-2.png

Are you planning on using the TV's built in apps for all your sources, like Netflix? If so, there wouldn't be a need for the 4k passthrough, but then having eARC support becomes more important. For example, our Sony OLED only sends back 2ch PCM audio back to the receiver via optical cable. Even though it should support DD 5.1, it does not for some reason. Maybe the LG is different.

Here's a comparison chart between the connections and their limitations:

View attachment 309256

Thanks for posting that chart, very useful!

For the "DTS:X via DTS-HD MA via eARC", the description is "Whether the TV can receive and pass a DTS:X signal to a receiver via HDMI eARC, when DTS-HD MA is used as the carrier signal." The C1 does have "eARC support," which is described as "Passthrough of Dolby Atmos/TrueHD and DTS-HD MA / DTS :X." It sounds like DTS:X can be received via eARC without using a carrier signal, so that first option is not necessary.

That is what you want. LG ALL DAY.

One of those 2. Both are EXCELLENT.
I know TVs. Sony is excellent too, but LG is the best.

I got a Vizio and I regret it so much. I should have gotten the LG.
Right on, this is the answer.

If LG ever makes a 42" OLED, I am totally getting one to be my new desktop monitor. The 48" is just a bit too big. I think they will be with the C2's, but I haven't looked recently, and am thinking more a next year thing for me.

I've settled on the LG C2 in 65". It doesn't seem like I can get the C2 from Best Buy yet (considering Best Buy because a friend of a friend may be able to swing me a deal), but it doesn't really matter. I'll wait for the C2, even if it's only slightly better than the C1. I kept my Sammy for a really long time because I was so happy with it, so I don't mind spending a little more knowing I won't be tempted to go TV shopping again for another 7+ years (fingers crossed).

I'll post here again once I have it! :)

I've settled on the LG C2 in 65". It doesn't seem like I can get the C2 from Best Buy yet ...
I can go pick one up today from a local BB store. Is this a Canadian problem, or just your location? Why not have it shipped?

I can go pick one up today from a local BB store. Is this a Canadian problem, or just your location? Why not have it shipped?

It might be a local supply problem, but I haven't actually gone to any brick and mortar stores to see if they're in stock, so I don't know for sure. I'm planning to drag the wife along with me after work sometime this week. Worst case scenario I order online, but I'd like to buy from a physical store just so I can try to swing a better deal.

It might be a local supply problem, but I haven't actually gone to any brick and mortar stores to see if they're in stock, so I don't know for sure. I'm planning to drag the wife along with me after work sometime this week. Worst case scenario I order online, but I'd like to buy from a physical store just so I can try to swing a better deal.
Interesting, I didn't know you could barter at a Best Buy in Canada.

Best Buy in Canada has haggling?

I worked at Future Shop when they were operating here some years ago. You could haggle there no problem, and sometimes Best Buy customers would come to Future Shop, get a quote in writing, then take that quote back to Best Buy, which they would use to match or beat prices. So I suppose it's not technically "haggling", it's more along the lines of price-matching against a competitor's quote. Since Future Shop is no longer operating here, I'd be going to other local stores that allow haggling, then taking that quote to Best Buy if necessary (to pad my friend-of-a-friend's sales numbers). But you guys are right, Best Buy does not haggle.

Back