Off Topic New TV suggestions

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
Anyone bought a new TV recently? We just bought a new house, and we're moving in next month. We have started looking at new furniture, as well as a new TV. I bought a 55-inch Samsung JS8500 in 2015 that I've been really happy with, but that TV will be relegated to a different area of the house.

I'm hoping to spend $2500 CAD or less, but no more than $3000 CAD before taxes. I want to go with a 65-inch OLED this time around. I've done a bit of research, and so far I'm thinking that a Sony A80J fits the bill without breaking the bank, but it does come very close (currently $2500 before taxes). The TV will mostly be used for movies and Netflix/Prime Video/Crave etc., maybe some occasional gaming down the road. It will be used in the main living room, which has a "casement-fix-casement" window. Minimal glare would be nice, but it's not a dealbreaker since we do most of our movie watching at night anyway.

Any thoughts or suggestions on other TVs to check out in this price range? Or should I wait to buy until later in the year maybe?

I am with you on thinking about a new Big Screen. Only I am looking at 85-inch Sony. Currently we have a 65-inch Sony.
I have been reading revies to the point of getting a headache.

We only watch Netflix, Prime and DVD's. No cable or other input sources. So you would think it would be easy. But at this point I am using my 8 ball and asking the question which model to get. The answer seems to be "ASKL AGAIN LATER". LOL

This seems to be ahead so far. Sony 85 Inch Series X91J LED 4K UHD Smart

Zenith, RCA, Sylvania, and Admiral used to be the best. Curtis Mathes was pretty good, too.

I am with you on thinking about a new Big Screen. Only I am looking at 85-inch Sony. Currently we have a 65-inch Sony.

We only watch Netflix, Prime and DVD's. No cable or other input sources. So you would think it would be easy. But at this point I am using my 8 ball and asking the question which model to get. The answer seems to be "ASKL AGAIN LATER". LOL

I bought an 85" Sony a year and a half ago, but when it got to my house, they couldn't fit it down the stairs to my basement. I sent it back and bought an Epson Projector and a 100" screen. I'm so happy the TV didn't fit down my stairs. :)

I bought an 85" Sony a year and a half ago, but when it got to my house, they couldn't fit it down the stairs to my basement. I sent it back and bought an Epson Projector and a 100" screen. I'm so happy the TV didn't fit down my stairs. :)
I have one for business when I do seminars or attend SEMA show. But for home I like the clarity of either SONY or Panasonic big screen TV.

A projector would be great, but it would be wasted on the space I'm working with. I need something with a wide viewing angle, and if I went with a projector I would also need to install a small shelf for the projector on an otherwise bare wall, as the vaulted ceiling is too high to mount to.

A projector would be great, but it would be wasted on the space I'm working with. I need something with a wide viewing angle, and if I went with a projector I would also need to install a small shelf for the projector on an otherwise bare wall, as the vaulted ceiling is too high to mount to.
Yeah, you're looking for a 65", so an OLED is your best bet. I have a 55" Sony OLED that has been great for the past 2 1/2 years. OLED is the new plasma, as far as picture quality goes.

Yeah, you're looking for a 65", so an OLED is your best bet. I have a 55" Sony OLED that has been great for the past 2 1/2 years. OLED is the new plasma, as far as picture quality goes.

I remember when I first saw an OLED TV. I was working at The Sony Store/Sonystyle at the time, and they just came out with the XEL-1. It was this tiny little 11" display that cost like $2500 USD lol.

Great to hear that your Sony has been good to you! Another thing I like about Sony is how nice their menu systems are. It's such a minor detail, but noticeable compared to most other brands.

That is what you want. LG ALL DAY.

One of those 2. Both are EXCELLENT.
I know TVs. Sony is excellent too, but LG is the best.

I got a Vizio and I regret it so much. I should have gotten the LG.

Definitely excellent TVs. The C1 is more in line with my budget, and it would be at the top of the list if I was gaming as much as I used to 10 years ago. These days I care more about picture quality and colour accuracy for watching movies/TV shows. Thanks for the suggestions though!

I remember when I first saw an OLED TV. I was working at The Sony Store/Sonystyle at the time, and they just came out with the XEL-1. It was this tiny little 11" display that cost like $2500 USD lol.
I remember that same TV! It was in a special glass case so you couldn't touch it. It was playing some high def. video of water or a dock or something on loop.

I remember that same TV! It was in a special glass case so you couldn't touch it. It was playing some high def. video of water or a dock or something on loop.

I guess your store was much more careful with theirs, haha. The store I worked at just had it on a small pub height table dedicated to the TV, and it was set up right at the entrance, so you had to walk around it as soon as you walked in the store. No glass case or anything, so people could just walk up and fiddle with it if they wanted. Many fingerprints were cleaned off of that unit lol. I remember the water scenes, and I think there was a rose scene as well.

Definitely excellent TVs. The C1 is more in line with my budget, and it would be at the top of the list if I was gaming as much as I used to 10 years ago. These days I care more about picture quality and colour accuracy for watching movies/TV shows. Thanks for the suggestions though!
Consumer Reports from November 2021:
IMG_1635.JPG

Here are the column headings from the top of that page:

IMG_1637.JPG

It looks like prices have gone down since then. On-line at the CR web site (subscription required), evidently including more current models than above, LG OLED65CXPUA is their highest rated at 87, Sony XBR-65A8H ranks second at 84. The category scores for these two are the same as the top rated models pictured above except sound quality went up to 5 of 5 for both. This LG's higher score looks based on a 4 of 5 rating for motion blur (not a magazine category) whereas the newer Sony model gets 3 out of 5. That may be an important difference if you watch a lot of sports.

A quick search shows that LG OLED65CXPUA can be had for $1650 on Amazon to take just one example. With the money saved under budget you can add a nice speaker system or buy a new set of tires for the CX-9 ;) Edit: I forgot your budget is in CAD. $2500 CAD = $2000 USD.

I'm a fan of LG over Samsung from my reliability experience, be it TVs, washer/dryers, kitchen appliances albeit that's going back 8-9 years with several Samsung issues. Sony = more $, slightly better reliability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consumer Reports from November 2011:

Yeah, but TV's have changed more in the last 15 years than in the probably 50 years before. Even the tuners are completely different today. 15 years ago, they were still making CRT tubes (though they were definitely on the way out). Used to be NTSC tuners, now it's ATSC. Used to be 1080i was the highest definition, and now it's 8k. People used to subscribe to cable, now nobody does, it's all streaming and the TV's now more often than not run actual operating systems like Android or Roku.

So yeah, you just can't go by info that old, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Yeah, but TV's have changed more in the last 15 years than in the probably 50 years before. Even the tuners are completely different today. 15 years ago, they were still making CRT tubes (though they were definitely on the way out). Used to be NTCS, now it's ATSC. Used to be 1080i was the highest definition, and now it's 8k. So yeah, you just can't go by info that old, unfortunately.
That was a typo--should have been November 2021 if that was not obvious given the models and prices. ;) Now corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigger is not necessarily better. It depends on the viewing distance.

A quick search shows that LG OLED65CXPUA can be had for $1650 on Amazon to take just one example. With the money saved under budget you can add a nice speaker system or buy a new set of tires for the CX-9 ;)

I'm a fan of LG over Samsung from my reliability experience, be it TVs, washer/dryers, kitchen appliances albeit that's going back 8-9 years with several Samsung issues. Sony = more $, slightly better reliability.
Oh, look, just like the 2nd one I posted.
BECAUSE LG IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER FOR A TV.
Why are we still talking? Buy that! :D

If you WANT the top end 65: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-...4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6501491.p?skuId=6501491

Back