What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Sorry I never updated y'all...backstory: My daughter's 2016 CX-5 only came with one key fob so I bought one on-line and called Mazda dealer, $170 to get it working. I called Toyota dealer (where we bought the car used) and the lady said they'll do it for $65.
So I show up at the Toyota Dealer and service manager said lady making appointments doesn't know stuff and the can ONLY program Toyota cars. (They can't even program Lexus!) So, on the drive home, I remember our Battery Plus store advertises they can do it so I dropped it. Guy said they an do it for $70.....SWEET!
Fast-forward 4-hours (and two program tools) and the poor kid finally got it working. Unfortunately, the key cutter didn't make a workable key (even after two runs) but figured that's okay...got two working fobs.

I did a transmission service on her Mazda and also want to drain/fill the differentials but looks like I can only use Mazda gear lube which is $30 a quart at the dealer. This is unacceptable, even Toyota lets us use GL-4 or GL-5 in our other vehicles. What do y'all use for this? (No way I'm paying $30 a quart.)

Her roof rack has a cover part missing and discovered I have to buy a whole new rack, can't buy that part. She just wants me to remove it but, now, I'll need to find the black rubber piece to replace when I remove the old one...back to Mazda Parts to search.

Thanks!

Offset is +40. No spacers. The cleaning should be easier than the OEM rims. The spaces are large and the surfaces flat, so it's easier to wipe with a towel. I already did one wipe down to get mounting junk off. It took about 2-3 minutes per wheel.

As to looks, I'm just the opposite, as I don't like minimum wheels with 5 spokes or so because they show too much of the mechanics. I like the artistry of the metal work and not the emptiness of air spaces.

lol I'm the opposite. I like to see the brakes. I still remember as a kid in the late 80's and early 90's, when aluminum wheels became more common on cars, how I thought it was so cool to be able to see the brake discs and calipers behind the wheel spokes. I used to draw cars all the time back then, and always made sure to draw the brake disc and caliper behind the wheels. :p

lol I'm the opposite. I like to see the brakes. I still remember as a kid in the late 80's and early 90's, when aluminum wheels became more common on cars, how I thought it was so cool to be able to see the brake discs and calipers behind the wheel spokes. I used to draw cars all the time back then, and always made sure to draw the brake disc and caliper behind the wheels. :p

It's in your blood! I think if I had some red Bembro calipers with polished disks, I'd be on board with you, but I have just boring OEM stuff. I too used to draw cars in elementary school. Somewhere along the line, I lost the bug.

I had ordered a keyfob sleeve from Aliexpress around 2 months ago, and to my surprise, it finally arrived today. (I order from Aliexpress often and usually they arrive in 15-30 days)
For such a nice car I feel like Mazda could have done a little bit better with the key, it feels hollow and light. I also didn't want the key to get scratched all over, but it already has as the cover arrived so late. And lastly it prevents accidental key presses. For $6 Canadian I think it was a good deal.

Now I am considering getting one of those center console covers as the piano black trims are already scratched. They are widely available on Aliexpress but they don't have the cutout for lock/unlock buttons on the passenger side. Has anyone seen one for North American CX-5s specifically?

IMG_2913.jpeg
IMG_2914.jpeg

IMG_2915.jpeg

Getting mine washed /polished /clayed and ceramic coated today + whatever they coat the exterior glass, plastic trims, headlights, & rims with. 😁

Floor & cargo mats will be ordered soon too, from Canada if they're still available.

Hi! So I made a huge mistake while moving some stuff from my old place to the new one, and I badly scratched the front armrest.
IMG_3337.JPEGIMG_3339.JPEG
Is there any way to buff out these scratches? Would a leather conditioner work? Or is getting a new one the only option? Thanks!

Hi! So I made a huge mistake while moving some stuff from my old place to the new one, and I badly scratched the front armrest.
View attachment 309141View attachment 309142
Is there any way to buff out these scratches? Would a leather conditioner work? Or is getting a new one the only option? Thanks!
Ooof. I'd first try to gently heat up the area with a hair dryer or heat gun and try to finger massage and condition the damaged area with a leather product.

If that doesn't work, and you gouged it into the backing layer then it won't ever look good aside from lid replacement.

Ouch! Maybe get in touch with your dealer and see if they have someone that they use for leather repairs. They can work magic sometimes. Otherwise I'd try heating up the leather gently as suggested by @Tchman2016.

Ooof. I'd first try to gently heat up the area with a hair dryer or heat gun and try to finger massage and condition the damaged area with a leather product.

If that doesn't work, and you gouged it into the backing layer then it won't ever look good aside from lid replacement.
Ouch! Maybe get in touch with your dealer and see if they have someone that they use for leather repairs. They can work magic sometimes. Otherwise I'd try heating up the leather gently as suggested by @Tchman2016.

I went to the dealership today to ask what can be done, and they apparently have a guy who does leather repairs. I have an appointment soon with them to get my summer tires installed, I'll just leave the car with them and they'll take care of it.
Tried to save a couple of dollars by not getting a U-Haul, but now this is probably gonna cost me at least $100. Lesson learned.

I went to the dealership today to ask what can be done, and they apparently have a guy who does leather repairs. I have an appointment soon with them to get my summer tires installed, I'll just leave the car with them and they'll take care of it.
Tried to save a couple of dollars by not getting a U-Haul, but now this is probably gonna cost me at least $100. Lesson learned.

Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll goodwill the repair. No reason for them to do it aside from making a good impression with a new customer, but it also never hurts to ask :)

Finally got the summer tires installed... when it was 2 degrees (Celcius) outside and snowing. Anyways, had an appointment at the dealership at 7:30AM. They said I might need to drop the car and leave to get the leather on the armrest repaired (see my previous post). There was also noise coming from the passenger side B-pillar.
I didn't talk to the advisor I had talked before, and I really didn't get a good impression from him. When I mentioned the leather repair, he got visibly annoyed and said "Oh, I don't know if the leather guy is going to be available today, I don't know if the other guy called him, I'll have to do it." Honestly, I let the dealership know more than a week ago, they should have figured this out. Anyways, I said whatever and left.
Tracked the car through the Mazda app during the day. They parked it at 8am, and didn't touch it until 3pm. I called around 2pm to see if I'll be able to get the car at the end of the day, the service advisor didn't bother answering/calling me back.
He calls me at 4:30pm and says they replaced the tires, the noise was coming from two pieces of plastic in the rear door bottle holder (rookie mistake on my part, I shouldn't have left them there -- obviously they are not the reason for the noise and obviously they didn't check further once they saw those) and that the leather guy isn't available until next Wednesday. I complained a bit on the phone, advisor didn't seem to care one bit.
I know they are not telling the truth about the noise, because I gave them the car at 5373km, and took it back at 5373km. They clearly didn't go for a test drive. What a shame.
Anyways, picked up the car. They put two tires in the trunk and two in the rear seats; good except the bags were dirty. Had to clean the seats once I got them out of the car.
So they half-assed the entire thing and made me wait an entire day for something that they didn't spend more than an hour on. I'll have to go back again for the leather thing (and I have two free oil changes from them -- so I am going to go there for at least two oil changes); but I am for sure going to wait at the dealership. Will also get tires replaced somewhere else. I have both sets on rims; so it shouldn't cost $65 Canadian dollars.
Dealership really disappointed me today.

PS: The microSD card in my dashcam was corrupt when I took it back -- unsure if they have anything to do with that.

IMG_3464.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally got the summer tires installed... when it was 2 degrees (Celcius) outside and snowing. Anyways, had an appointment at the dealership at 7:30AM. They said I might need to drop the car and leave to get the leather on the armrest repaired (see my previous post). There was also noise coming from the passenger side B-pillar.
I didn't talk to the advisor I had talked before, and I really didn't get a good impression from him. When I mentioned the leather repair, he got visibly annoyed and said "Oh, I don't know if the leather guy is going to be available today, I don't know if the other guy called him, I'll have to do it." Honestly, I let the dealership know more than a week ago, they should have figured this out. Anyways, I said whatever and left.
Tracked the car through the Mazda app during the day. They parked it at 8am, and didn't touch it until 3pm. I called around 2pm to see if I'll be able to get the car at the end of the day, the service advisor didn't bother answering/calling me back.
He calls me at 4:30pm and says they replaced the tires, the noise was coming from two pieces of plastic in the rear door bottle holder (rookie mistake on my part, I shouldn't have left them there -- obviously they are not the reason for the noise and obviously they didn't check further once they saw those) and that the leather guy isn't available until next Wednesday. I complained a bit on the phone, advisor didn't seem to care one bit.
I know they are not telling the truth about the noise, because I gave them the car at 5373km, and took it back at 5373km. They clearly didn't go for a test drive. What a shame.
Anyways, picked up the car. They put two tires in the trunk and two in the rear seats; good except the bags were dirty. Had to clean the seats once I got them out of the car.
So they half-assed the entire thing and made me wait an entire day for something that they didn't spend more than an hour on. I'll have to go back again for the leather thing (and I have two free oil changes from them -- so I am going to go there for at least two oil changes); but I am for sure going to wait at the dealership. Will also get tires replaced somewhere else. I have both sets on rims; so it shouldn't cost $65 Canadian dollars.
Dealership really disappointed me today.

PS: The microSD card in my dashcam was corrupt when I took it back -- unsure if they have anything to do with that.

View attachment 309459
dealership services are similar here in US. Drop car off for simple repairs, and overpriced.

Similar to how the cable companies take up your whole day and say they can have someone meet you in morning or afternoon with no designated times.

You need to get a 2nd set of rims for winter .
Time permitting I swap mine out in less than 1/2 hour plus do brake check, etc. If brakes are close to worn out, I change those too.

If I have alot going on and weather is bad, my local shop will swap them for $16 USD as long as bought tires there. If they need to mount tires on same rims, it's $32 USD. And you're in/out in less than 1 hour.

You really need to find a local shop.

You didnt say if rattle noise was warranty repair. If so, you're stuck taking it back. If not, local mechanic will get you fixed up. Local mechs can usually test drive while your there ...repair easy fixes while wait or may have to leave car for other problems.

You need to get a 2nd set of rims for winter .
Time permitting I swap mine out in less than 1/2 hour plus do brake check, etc. If brakes are close to worn out, I change those too.
You really need to find a local shop.
You didnt say if rattle noise was warranty repair. If so, you're stuck taking it back. If not, local mechanic will get you fixed up. Local mechs can usually test drive while your there ...repair easy fixes while wait or may have to leave car for other problems.
I do have a second set of rims for winter, but the dealership had my summer set (as they delivered me the car new with winter tires and steel wheels). I am annoyed because if it weren't for the other things I mentioned them, they would have swapped my tires in an hour or so and I would have been on my way.
I do agree that I need to find a local shop, but the places people around me go don't seem to be great. Hopefully I'll find one.
And the rattle noise is warranty repair. That's why the dealership didn't even try diagnosing itr and blamed it on some plastic things that I left in the car.

I do have a second set of rims for winter, but the dealership had my summer set (as they delivered me the car new with winter tires and steel wheels). I am annoyed because if it weren't for the other things I mentioned them, they would have swapped my tires in an hour or so and I would have been on my way.
I do agree that I need to find a local shop, but the places people around me go don't seem to be great. Hopefully I'll find one.
And the rattle noise is warranty repair. That's why the dealership didn't even try diagnosing itr and blamed it on some plastic things that I left in the car.
If you take it back and they still deny the noise...then you'll need to make a choice. Keep trying until the 12 month bumper to bumper is expired at which point they'll want you to pay. Or take it to a local mech now and pay him to diagnose only/not fix what's wrong with it then take it back to dealer and make them fix it.

If you take it back and they still deny the noise...then you'll need to make a choice. Keep trying until the 12 month bumper to bumper is expired at which point they'll want you to pay. Or take it to a local mech now and pay him to diagnose only/not fix what's wrong with it then take it back to dealer and make them fix it.
That makes a lot of sense. I can get it diagnosed elsewhere and get the dealership to fix it. Thanks!

Back