Wrap Shifter Console in Matte Black (Gloss Black Delete)

:
'12 Mazda5 GT
:
‘17 CX-5 GT
Got the Apple CarPlay update dealer installed yesterday. Once I got it back home I pulled the console apart to “permanently” install a nice Anker braided cable from inside the armrest, under the shifter console, and out through the corner of the front storage tray. I added a couple of rubber grommets to keep everything looking neat and clean. When I had it all apart I saw how easily the shifter console would separate into individual components and switches etc. So I decided to take the opportunity to do what should have been done at the factory - get rid of the piano gloss black section and make it matte, to match the rest of the console. I also wrapped the bright chrome trim between the two main sections. Not sure why this wasn’t originally done in brushed chrome like all the other chrome in that area.

I used 3M 2080 matte black, and did each piece separately instead of just laying a big sheet over the whole thing. Super happy with the way it turned out, especially the “peek-a-boo” section that I did around the gear indicator. If you look really closely there are a couple of spots that aren’t perfect. Also, in the first photo the two sections look quite different. However, that is mostly just the lighting, and once in the car the difference is imperceptible. For my first attempt, I’ll take it and it's 100% better than piano black. Next up, maybe the door switches, although those really don’t bother me as much as the shifter console once did.

Attachments

• CX-5 Matte Balck Console.jpg
    CX-5 Matte Balck Console.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 414
  • CX-5 Matte Balck Console 2.jpg
    CX-5 Matte Balck Console 2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Wow! That looks really good.
Thanks, it was really easy to do as well. I think a big part of what makes it look so good is the rounded corners around the gear selection indicator window. The wrap should last WAY longer than Plastidip or other coating, and looks far more sleek than the stick on metal covers, and those typically cover stuff up as well.

Yep…briefly as I’m at work, I put a piece of masking tape, the width and length I wanted, on a big sheet of wrap. Then I slit the tape in the middle for access, then used a single hole punch to cut nice clean and smoothly round (inside) corners. Then an exacto knife to join the corners if you see what I mean. Then stuck the wrap on aligning the opening with the PRND letters and went from there.

If this doesn’t make sense, I’ll try and recreate in a photo or two what I did.

But 100% the neat rounded corners make it look factory. Worth the tiny bit of extra effort for sure.

Last edited:
Looks very nice.
I don't have a CX5, but this would be an excellent mode for my Edge.
Piano black drives me nuts.

Back