Dreaded 'Starts at First Song' Glitch Comes to USB

TreyP

2018 Soul Red AWD Touring CX-5
If there is a current thread on this I couldn't find it. Anyway, I have been using a USB stick for music because as we all know, when using an iPod it always starts with the same song each time you restart the car, regardless of where you left off.

As of a few weeks ago (I'm guessing a firmware update happened) the USB stick is doing the same thing. Very frustrating. It used to start exactly where it left off, but now it plays the same song each time I start the car, and the songs after that all play in the same order unless I bump over the shuffle, turn that off then back on, then hit the 'next' button. Is Mazda just determined to drive us all bat s*** crazy or what?

If there is a current thread on this I couldn't find it. Anyway, I have been using a USB stick for music because as we all know, when using an iPod it always starts with the same song each time you restart the car, regardless of where you left off.

As of a few weeks ago (I'm guessing a firmware update happened) the USB stick is doing the same thing. Very frustrating. It used to start exactly where it left off, but now it plays the same song each time I start the car, and the songs after that all play in the same order unless I bump over the shuffle, turn that off then back on, then hit the 'next' button. Is Mazda just determined to drive us all bat s*** crazy or what?

"I have been using a USB stick for music because as we all know, when using an iPod it always starts with the same song each time you restart the car, regardless of where you left off."

I must have missed this since it's the first I've heard of it. I don't use an iPod so it doesn't matter for me.

"As of a few weeks ago (I'm guessing a firmware update happened) the USB stick is doing the same thing."

I could be wrong but I don't believe that your 2018 has wifi so there's no way that the firmware was updated without your help.

99% of my music listening in my Mazdas come from a USB flashdrive, so I do know what you're taking about with the thing starting over from song 1 and not from where you left off.

The only time this happens in my Mazdas is if I start the car, or turn on the ignition, and then shut the car off without first letting the system finish 'booting', or allowing the music to start.

If I don't allow the boot to complete the next time that I turn the car on it will start at song 1.

"Shuffle" on Mazda infotainment systems is really similar to the one in Toyotas. When you press shuffle, it doesn't act the same way new media players do. When you press shuffle, it creates a new list of tracks, ordered randomly, and starts going through it. And whenever you shut off the car and then turn it back on, for some reason (in your case) it starts from the first element of that list. I assume something makes the counter go back to the first track.
Maybe there is a file somewhere in the infotainment that is supposed to be deleted but wasn't for some reason. You could try formatting your thumb drive, changing its name and copying all your songs back on it.

What really annoys me about this is going back to a song. Say you're in Song #32, then you press next and it goes to Song #17. When you press the rewind button to go back to the previous song, it goes to Song #16. WHY?

Well, I tried my wife's USB stick and it behaved the same way, starting at the first song each time the car is started. It doesn't do that in her '18 CX-5 Sport though.

Also, pretty sure my car does have wifi connectivity, because I found an option in the settings to update the music database. When I clicked that it said something like "Updating USB software", but then said "No update currently available"

Well, I tried my wife's USB stick and it behaved the same way, starting at the first song each time the car is started. It doesn't do that in her '18 CX-5 Sport though.

Also, pretty sure my car does have wifi connectivity, because I found an option in the settings to update the music database. When I clicked that it said something like "Updating USB software", but then said "No update currently available"

My CX does the same thing as you mentioned above and it most definitely does not have Wi-Fi.

The music database is updated from a flash drive plugged into your USB port. If you tell it to update it looks on the drive currently plugged in and if there's no update on that drive it gives you the message you quoted above.

Well, whatever the cause, something definitely changed and broke USB playback. Hopefully someone has found an answer to this since the USB playback was a great alternative 'fix' to this issue when using an iPod.

Well, whatever the cause, something definitely changed and broke USB playback. Hopefully someone has found an answer to this since the USB playback was a great alternative 'fix' to this issue when using an iPod.
Did you ever find a solution the the Previous Song vs. Track issue? I'm having the same problem and I can't find anyone who is even mentioning it.

Here is the issue that I have with my ’19 CX5 Signature… I play my music from a flash drive, on shuffle mode. It works fine, except it plays the first track on the first album way more frequently than anything else. The longer the music is playing, the playing of that track becomes much more frequent. When it is playing that particular track, you can’t skip to the end of it. I’ve tried various things to get around this issue. One was to create a 10 second track of silence. I put that track in a folder named AAA, so that would be the one that gets frequently played and that is the case. The problem there is it keeps playing it for 5 successive times before it will move on the random play routine. Because of the many glitches in the infotainment software and it’s extremely slow booting, I will never buy another Mazda.

Back