First oil change on 2020 CX-5 Signature: WTF Surprise?

I have no issues with my oil change cover. I find it easy, once I got the correct tool and method.

I do throw up on some ramps but easy to get at filter and drain on my '15. I also have the scandalous Fumoto but have been using them for over 25 years without issue so not gonna change now. :)

This had been discussed here before. The ex-moderator Chris_Top_Her did an experiment on his 2015 CX-5 by actually removing the oil pan and seeing how much the Fumoto valve sticking out inside the oil pan, and how much the oil will be stayed inside the oil pan with Fumoto valve. When he removed the oil pan, the substantial amount of oil left in the oil pan leaking out and caught him by surprise even thought he had drained all the oil with Fumoto valve. He posted pictures showing how much the oil will be stayed in the oil pan with Fumoto valve sticking out inside the oil pan. There’s another member actually measured the length of the thread of the drain hole, and cut the Fumoto valve to match, so that it won’t be sticking out inside the oil pan.

And when did I say ”using this product is detrimental to engine life?

The fact of matter is the company claims “It is unlikely that your Fumoto valve would be sticking out inside the oil pan. Your Fumoto valve would allow you to drain just as much oil as your original drain plug., which simply is not true!

No, it’s not just my personal opinion, it’s the fact.

I'm Resurrecting old thread as I forgot to mention a pretty nifty solution I tested during last few oil changes to expel old oil out (for those with Fumoto valves).

Upon doing an oil change I usually save the bottle with some leftover oil in it. Perhaps 1/8 quart or so? Anyhow when the time comes to do oil change again....lets fast forward to when the old oil is slowly dripping out the Fumoto valve. I pour the saved leftover oil (from previous oil change) in the engine and it "pushes" any old residual dark oil out to be drained out the Fumoto valve resulting dark oil coming out for a second or so then clear oil coming out.

So is the conclusion that the Mazda oil filter tool should only be used with the Japanese made filter and not the Thai version?

So is the conclusion that the Mazda oil filter tool should only be used with the Japanese made filter and not the Thai version?
See post #2:

“I ordered a "Genuine" Mazda Oil Filter Wrench A255 for $10.20 from Med Center Mazda along with oil change kits years ago but it ended up exactly the same as https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) The sizes of CTA A255 cap wrench are 65 & 67 mm with 14 flutes. It fits Mazda OEM Japanese oil filter perfectly on 67 mm and OEM Thai oil filter on 65 mm size.”

I have the Fumoto to install and will shorten it 1.5threads. But I also forgot I had from a previous car, an oil sucker. That oil extractor works great! I stick the tube in the dipstick tube till she hits bottom and go away for 20 mins. Then do the filter and drain with no much left. Only problem I have now is the hex tool to remove the drain plug is wallowing out. And I'm glad I have the Fumoto. ::)

I have the Fumoto to install and will shorten it 1.5threads. But I also forgot I had from a previous car, an oil sucker. That oil extractor works great! I stick the tube in the dipstick tube till she hits bottom and go away for 20 mins. Then do the filter and drain with no much left. Only problem I have now is the hex tool to remove the drain plug is wallowing out. And I'm glad I have the Fumoto. ::)
Whats the basis of nipping it? I plead don't nip your Fumoto!!! Fumoto lives matter!!!

Yes, Thai made OEM Denso oil filters are a bit smaller in diameter than Japanese made OEM Tokyo Roki oil filters. The stock oil filter on 2.5T is Japanese made Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302, but Mazda North American Operations had stopped supplying PY8W-14-302 a couple of years ago and it’s superseded by Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302 which is smaller. Usually it isn’t an issue unless you use cap wrench on the oil filter. I ordered a "Genuine" Mazda Oil Filter Wrench A255 for $10.20 from Med Center Mazda along with oil change kits years ago but it ended up exactly the same as https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) The sizes of CTA A255 cap wrench are 65 & 67 mm with 14 flutes. It fits Mazda OEM Japanese oil filter perfectly on 67 mm and OEM Thai oil filter on 65 mm size.

Here is the size comparison between Japanese and Thai oil filters for my 2.5L. The sizes of OEM oil filters used on the 2.5T are the same as on the 2.5L.

View attachment 304620
View attachment 304621
I just did the 1st oil change on my daughter's 2021 CX5 GT today and came to the conclusion that I need a filter wrench/cap for the the next time. Searched and found your post, I will order the filter cap you posted. Thank you for your contribution.

On a different note, as many DIYers have found out and posted on this forum. I added the whole 5L jug to get the oil level to max where as owner manual stated 4.5L.

to Sigcx-5. I wish my hand strength was higher but, I've lost a lot at 84 years old. Maybe I should get the device you showed but, I decided not. :))

Back