Mazda CX-50 announced

The old iStop mandates a Q85 expensive 12V battery.
Hope the *new* iStop does not.

My '16 Mazda6 GT has the iEloop tech (supercap to drive accessories), which also came with a Q85 12V battery. It costs up side of $400 to replace it every 3 yrs or so (mine failed after 3 yrs).
I heard about this too and there's a large discussion about using AGM batteries as an alternative, or even a standard battery but from what I read a standard battery dies rather quick (~2 years). Oddly when searching on Costco, for a '16 Mazda 6 with i-Eloop tech it list both a standard and AGM battery as options too. Have you tried either?

I heard about this too and there's a large discussion about using AGM batteries as an alternative, or even a standard battery but from what I read a standard battery dies rather quick (~2 years). Oddly when searching on Costco, for a '16 Mazda 6 with i-Eloop tech it list both a standard and AGM battery as options too. Have you tried either?
I speak only for iEloop since there is no iStop in USA.
In the case of iEloop (for '16/'17 on Mazda6 GT models), it needs *programming* by dealer (reset some sort of status, I guess). Otherwise, the warning/error message might not go away... Not sure about iStop. Someone else can chime in.

4) Lexus NX - > Run flat tires
I rode in an NX the other day. Not sure what year--the owner bought it last year as a manufacturer certified. Late model anyway.

I was shocked how poorly it handled a series of buckles in a road at low speed. Jarring. By my personal experience and by Toyota reputation this is not something I woulde have expected. Cushy ride has been a traditional Toyota hallmark.

I've driven that same road in my CX-5 numerous times, stepping over those buckles with relative aplomb. That's with the 17" shoes--I'm of the understanding the 19" ride harsher. Anyway, my version strikes a fine balance between sporty handling and comfy ride, no mean feat. I can't speak to the NX handling but I suspect it satisfies neither.

E44DA77C-893D-494B-A0A5-0530050C9F8D.png

9A7676BD-06C0-45AE-9B48-F306213423B3.png

What's the deal with that fake vents on the rear bumper?
It seems like trend these days.. Supra (or Zupra) has many of those.

The CX50 is the first Mazda I'm considering (ever). I've always heard great things, but please correct me on the below in case I'm wrong:

1) There is a spare tire on the CX50 and that it doesn't use run flats
2) Sadly, the rear suspension is a torsion beam (from the CX30?)
3) Corrosion resistance on Mazdas is massively improved these days.
4) The CX50 *should* be on the quieter side (wind noise/road noise) despite it being the 'off road' version
5) Seat comfort should be pretty good?

Any thoughts?

I am in the same situation as you! I have a 2017 A8L, and need something more practical for grocery runs and such. The A8L is a limousine and it does that job well, but it is not versatile enough to be the only car in the household. It can't even carry its own replacement winter tires, when it comes time to do the seasonal switcheroo! I had previously owned a 2017 CX-5 concurrently with the Audi and found it much more practical for daily use. The A8L is also far less reliable than the CX-5.

Now, I am going back to Mazda with a 2022 CX-5. My priorities were reliability, safety, and conveniences features (like adaptive radar cruise control, lane keep assist, road sign recognition, etc.). Like you, my budget allows me to get the Signature trim with all the gizmos that the A8L has, and adds CarPlay and USB ports as a bonus.

I decided against the CX-50 for the following reasons:
1. CX-50 has too much cladding for my taste. CX-5 looks classier and has all the same capabilities as the CX-50.
2. 2022 CX-5 was refined with more comfortable seats, less NVH, improved transmission and suspension, independent rear suspension, and has a spare tire.
3. Turbo engine does not have I-Stop tech, which I hate in the A8L. Failed several times and caused damage to my A8L.
3. CX-50 is brand new, built in a new factory. CX-5 is proven reliable, continuously improved, and built in Japan.

I am very comfortable with my decision.

Last edited:
They started production last month, so I'm hoping by mid March cars should start hitting dealer lots

They started production last month, so I'm hoping by mid March cars should start hitting dealer lots

Based on a Reddit user who works at the plant, they are currently assembling 30 cars/day and will gradually increase over time. They are most focused on QC and trying to hire more workers.

He mentioned that Mazda would not ship to dealers until they have a few thousand cars on the compound which also ensures they can fix any QC issue that may have initially been missed.

This is not like previous vehicle rollout as they are dealing with a new vehicle, new employees and a new plant. This will take some time.

Based on a Reddit user who works at the plant, they are currently assembling 30 cars/day and will gradually increase over time. They are most focused on QC and trying to hire more workers.

He mentioned that Mazda would not ship to dealers until they have a few thousand cars on the compound which also ensures they can fix any QC issue that may have initially been missed.

This is not like previous vehicle rollout as they are dealing with a new vehicle, new employees and a new plant. This will take some time.
They would also like to hire 1000 more workers for the line. They've offered free training.

No they don’t. I saw the local manager offering it…think they’re pretty hungry for employees. True in other job sectors too of course.

He was being "that guy", you know, the smart ass
Thanks…I read it too quickly and missed the lame sarcasm. My point obviously is that in a normal economy, you’d have some experience on your CV but they’re waiving that.

Back