Shut off TCS for a day!

Driving with the TCS off is not advised as it could render the vehicle unstable especially in the Winter. It is a safety feature which can help prevent the vehicle from getting stuck in snow and from fishtailing.

Driving with the TCS off is not advised as it could render the vehicle unstable especially in the Winter. It is a safety feature which can help prevent the vehicle from getting stuck in snow and from fishtailing.
Actually, it is the dynamic stability control that would keep you from fishtailing. It is still not clear to me whether turning TCS off also disables stability control in my vehicle. In a discussion of an earlier model (a 2016 Mazda6, maybe a 2017) that car has instead a stability control off (DSC OFF) button instead which also disables TCS. Are DSC and TCS no longer interdependent or did they just re-label the button? Dunno. After testing with TCS OFF I've not found any particular advantage so I leave it on all the time making the question of integration more a curiosity.

Anyway, there is near consensus agreement in the posts above that TCS OFF should be limited to dry roads. Otherwise, It may also be advantageous to turn it off if the vehicle is stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just think us old guys drove cars and SUVs for decades without such features. And some of the cars we drove were rear wheel drive. And we survived!

It's amazing that we lived to tell the tale! No rearview cameras, no parking assist, no ABS, no GPS, no self-driving cars, the list goes on and on. It's a miracle we made it.

Last edited:
I remember driving a 1980 Chevette 25 miles through a raging snowstorm to work some 26 years ago with a crappy set of all-season tires. To this day I don't know how I made it.... Wouldn't do it today in that car.

I remember driving a 1980 Chevette 25 miles through a raging snowstorm to work some 26 years ago with a crappy set of all-season tires. To this day I don't know how I made it.... Wouldn't do it today in that car.
What the?

Is that you Troy? Remember near the end of that trip? We slid through that stop sign at the intersection and ended up in the ditch! Good times!

Seriously, this did happen in that same car. We called it your shitvette. lol

What the?

Is that you Troy? Remember near the end of that trip? We slid through that stop sign at the intersection and ended up in the ditch! Good times!

Seriously, this did happen in that same car. We called it your shitvette. lol
At the Chevy dealer where I worked at we affectionately referred to them as Shove-ettes...

Back