2021 Mazda CX-5 No Audio?

I recently purchased a 2021 Mazda CX5. I previously leased a 2018 CX5 and loved it, so naturally with interest rates being low, it felt awesome to buy.

The trouble I am having is that it will randomly have no sound. I thought it was possibly blue tooth issues, but my radio won't even play. It happened twice, so I took it in to the service department. They said let us try to recreate it and see what we can do. They said there was only one update that it needed, but they couldn't recreate it and they couldn't find what the problem was. Those were the answers I got. NOTHING was wrong.

I thought well maybe that one update would help. NOPE!!!! It happened again. THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING. A brand new car should not be having these sorts of problems or at least they should be able to fix it. I have another appointment today with them. I don't know what it can be.

One common cause of this issue is the volume knob by the cup holders on the console. If it is pushed down for mute it will shut off the sound. Easy to do accidentally, or to forget that you did it. Not saying that is your problem, but it comes up regularly.

Upvote 0
I recently purchased a 2021 Mazda CX5. I previously leased a 2018 CX5 and loved it, so naturally with interest rates being low, it felt awesome to buy.

The trouble I am having is that it will randomly have no sound. I thought it was possibly blue tooth issues, but my radio won't even play. It happened twice, so I took it in to the service department. They said let us try to recreate it and see what we can do. They said there was only one update that it needed, but they couldn't recreate it and they couldn't find what the problem was. Those were the answers I got. NOTHING was wrong.

I thought well maybe that one update would help. NOPE!!!! It happened again. THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING. A brand new car should not be having these sorts of problems or at least they should be able to fix it. I have another appointment today with them. I don't know what it can be.
Same thing is happening to me with my 2021, brining it back to the dealership for the second time Monday, did they ever resolve the issue?

Upvote 0
Randomly occurs in my 2020 as well. It's mostly annoying on the interstate with no convenient place to pull over and fiddle with it.

Upvote 0
Every once in a while, the system will be slow to boot up. Sometimes it doesn't complete bootup until I'm half a mile down the road or so. The problem we are complaining about in this thread is missing audio. Nevertheless, It's fair advice and I'll checkout the contacts on my SD card. That may help with the irregular bootup times.

Upvote 0
Every once in a while, the system will be slow to boot up. Sometimes it doesn't complete bootup until I'm half a mile down the road or so. The problem we are complaining about in this thread is missing audio. Nevertheless, It's fair advice and I'll checkout the contacts on my SD card. That may help with the irregular bootup times.

I understand that you're talking about missing audio here. The issue could arise from connectivity issues with the SD card, or it may not. Eliminating possible connectivity issues with the SD card is easy to do, so why not try this and see if it fixes the problem before looking elsewhere?

Upvote 0

@rubyroo76 Was checking to see if your issue was ever resolved and if so what was solution. Same thing happening with my 2021 CX5.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Have this same problem on my 2021 CX5 Sig (Type B Mazda Connect).
I don't know what triggers it. It doesn't happen often. I have about 5k miles on it and it happened 3 times.

- tried switching input sources to FM/Bluetooth/Android - YT Music --> no dice
- toggled mute button --> no dice
- changed volume on console --> no dice
- change volume on steering wheel --> no dice
- tried the back-nav-mute (10 sec) reset --> nothing happens (can anyone confirm this reset applies to the new infotainment software; it seems to be applicable to previous infotainment software only)
- tried SD card contact cleaning --> no dice (added this)

I also noticed that music occasionally pops to phone speaker for a split a second and then back to car speakers. I can't be sure if it's the new Android Auto update or if this is a Mazda thing.

Letting the car sit with engine off while I'm away resolves the issue. So it makes me think it might be Bluetooth related, but haven't test it yet. Perhaps BT audio and USB-C cable audio are conflicting?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Only issues in the area we’ve had for is when CarPlay has been disconnected and then reconnect and gone into some kind of hung state. Has required ignition off /on cycle to resolve.

Upvote 0
I did the SD NAV card contact cleaning and with the latest update I have had no problems with the Infotainment system!
Good tip for my M6GT.

I believe the issue is for Type B Mazda Connect ('21+ CX5s only), the one with the UI that resembles Gran Turismo and seems shared with new M3s and CX30s. Previous CX5's all have Type A. The software feels different, although some bugs may have carried over. For example, the software reset with nav-mute-back doesn't work with Type B (my '21 CX5Sig) but works with Type A (my '17 M6GT).

Upvote 0
I disabled Bluetooth (going either FM or Android Auto) and will report back if I encounter this problem again.

Upvote 0
Resolved: Leasing a new CX5 2023 - same issues - entertainment system would work abt 25% of the time. When not working, no sound, cannot do anything, cannot switch from car play to radio, it is not the mute buttons, not blue tooth, not the cable...
The dealer was able to reproduce and discovered that the amplifier lost contact with system. Replaced the amplifier and no issues since. Car play working all the time now.

Upvote 0
Back