2016~2023 Has anybody tried All-Terrain tyres?

:
2020 CX-9 Touring
Hi,

Has anybody tried All-Terrain tyres on the CX-9? Does it give a stiffer or softer driving feel?

Thanks!

Sorry, do you mean like small truck tires?

I was at Firestone getting my wifes' car serviced and looking at tires and was thinking the same thing.

Sorry, do you mean like small truck tires?

I was at Firestone getting my wifes' car serviced and looking at tires and was thinking the same thing.
I mean ocasionally off-road tyres, like the pics! I reckon Toyota Land Cruiser uses this.
Just curious about the steering feeling with them on CX9.
102533-kumho-road-venture-at51.jpg104055-pirelli-scorpion-all-terrain-plus.jpg

If i use my winter tires as a comparison. The steering feel will be less direct and less precise and they will probably be more noisy. Of course that depends how aggressive of a tire you choose.

The ride would generally be softer, but that also depends on the load rating of the tire. If you pick a truck tire with a very high load rating, the tire and ride may actually be pretty stiff.

You used a land cruiser in comparison, a car with literally no steering feel ;). It may not be that bad depending on the tire you choose, but steering will most likely be softer than on street tires.

We took the 20s off of our 4runner for 17s and some tires with more sidewall and the ride got much smoother. The tires are definitely louder because of the aggressive tread, but the actual ride got better. It soaks up potholes and bumps in the road much more smoothly. It doesn't corner as confidently as before on smooth surfaces, but the 4runner was never exactly a touge machine anyway.

Not to mention it flies across the deep sand now without even airing down the tires. (y)

We put Pirelli Scorpions on.

Last edited:
Hey folks, I'm new here. Just purchased a 2017 CX-9 GS-L. I am also curious about switching to a more agressive tire. I do a bit of driving in the woods and in winter I also deal with a lot of snow. The open country AT3's are intriguing me...Anyone running anything else? Suggestions?

Thanks!

I have a 2016 CX-9 touring AWD which is currently on the stock OEM Yokos 255/60/r18. I'm planning on changing to Falken Wild Peak AT3w 265/60r18. This setup is slightly ooutside of the tolerance limit, and there would be a slight change in speedometer, but I guess that should be ok. I've heard good review about the Falken wildpeaks and wanted to try them out.

I have a 2016 CX-9 touring AWD which is currently on the stock OEM Yokos 255/60/r18. I'm planning on changing to Falken Wild Peak AT3w 265/60r18. This setup is slightly ooutside of the tolerance limit, and there would be a slight change in speedometer, but I guess that should be ok. I've heard good review about the Falken wildpeaks and wanted to try them out.
We put 30k miles on our Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws in 2020. We drove through torrential downpours in Florida during the summer with no issue. We drove through the whiteout conditions and icy mountains of Montana, Idaho, and Washington during the middle of winter with no issue. They aren’t that loud on the road. I absolutely love them. I am due for new tires in a month or so and was trying to figure out if I wanted to go with the Wildpeak Trails or the AT3W. The Trails come in the correct size and are less aggressive than the AT3W but I am anxious to hear what you think of the AT3W on this vehicle!

Interesting, I'm not able to find Falken Wildpeak Trails in 255/60/r18 its only available in "65". Did you run your CX9 on Wildpeak AT3Ws ?

Interesting, I'm not able to find Falken Wildpeak Trails in 255/60/r18 its only available in "65". Did you run your CX9 on Wildpeak AT3Ws ?
You’re right. I was looking at the stock 20” size. I should have clarified the vehicle too. I have run the Wildpeak AT3W on our 4Runner. I will be going with a larger size of the AT3W when it needs new tires because they are so good.

My debate on the CX-9 was keeping it at 20” wheels and powder coating/painting the wheels bronze (or replacing with bronze wheels if I can find something I like) with 255/50/20 Trails or go for a more rugged look with 18” wheels (maybe Black Rhino Arsenal) and 265/60/18 AT3Ws. I haven’t added weights up but I would guess the 18” wrapped in AT3Ws would be considerably heavier.

I installed falken at3ws today. Initial impressions :
1.No noticable increase in road/tire noise, I'd say its a bit quite than my oem yokos
2.Steering feels a little light. Have to check the psi and adjust
3.car is pulling left at speeds >60mph, guess the alignment was not done right, will have to take it back in

I installed falken at3ws today. Initial impressions :
1.No noticable increase in road/tire noise, I'd say its a bit quite than my oem yokos
2.Steering feels a little light. Have to check the psi and adjust
3.car is pulling left at speeds >60mph, guess the alignment was not done right, will have to take it back in
I'm considering the Falken AT3Ws...still happy with that setup?

I'm considering the Falken AT3Ws...still happy with that setup?
While your waiting for their response...

It depends what you are looking for...
If you want bite and do alot of off-roading, these are a very good tire and based on reviews / forums,consumer reports, etc. are very off road capable and alot quieter than the KO2's and supposedly have a double backed sidewall.
Had friends run KO2's and the noise, imo, is unbearable for a daily driver. Although quiet is subjective.

However based on reviews, the AT3W, while quiet initially, can get more noisy after they wear down so many miles(some say 10k, some 25 k, etc) but those reviews are out there.

Another alternative is the Pirelli scorpion AT Plus( make sure it's the PLUS) which get very good reviews for offroad. But its tread pattern appears noisy as well and some reviews so mention the tire gets nosier after mileage.

Now if you want an AT tire for street use & occasional offroading and that's quieter, see my thread "Sleek and modest Offroad mods". You may want to try the Falken AT trails(Falken sale ends tomorrow 10/31) or the Firestone Destination AT2's(on sale til Nov 8th).

I have always run destination AT(for as long as can remember...maybe like 16 years...which were little more noisy than allseason but fairly quiet) and will be buying/running the AT2 which has a center-tread that runs the whole circumference which means less noise.

The tread pattern of both the Falken Trails & Firestone destination AT2 look similar to all-seasonal tires, hence should be less noisy while still providing mild off road capability.

Imo, either are a great option, the only reason I'm sticking with Firestone is the weight on 235's is 8 lbs less per tire, most likely due to Falken doubling back the sidewall( which is better for offroad use)

Never had a sidewall puncture yet...but if ever do, might go with Falken trails down the road.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions Jack!

Priority for me is a balance between daily driving and safe trips to Tahoe for ski season. Hoping CX5 AWD plus Falken 3peak rated tires will mean no more chains. Secondary priority would be summer camping, but mostly dirt roads with small rocks and ruts. I’m not going to be rock crawling in my CX5, but the durability and sidewall protection would give more assurance than the stock tires during my solo adventures in the backcountry.

On road noise, I must not be sensitive. I had KO2’s in my Volvo XC60, and had no complaints. I thought about going that route again but the Falken three peak rating caught my attention for snow.

The AT Trail you mentioned seems maybe a better fit for small crossover like CX5. Thanks for the suggestion and heads up on the sale!

I've run the falken wild peaks for close to 3k miles now and mist of it has been on long freeway drives. I'm super happy with the performance, I don't find them noisy either.
My gas efficiency has gone down by 1/2 - 1 mpg I guess. Had small opportunity to off-road on a dirt track with some deep ruts and the tires held up well. Waiting for the snow to arrive in New England can't wait to test them out in snow :D

I've run the falken wild peaks for close to 3k miles now and mist of it has been on long freeway drives. I'm super happy with the performance, I don't find them noisy either.
My gas efficiency has gone down by 1/2 - 1 mpg I guess. Had small opportunity to off-road on a dirt track with some deep ruts and the tires held up well. Waiting for the snow to arrive in New England can't wait to test them out in snow :D
Thanks for the update!

Back