CX-5 Rear View Mirror Issue and Cost

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 GT Reserve
I have my 2nd 2019 CX-5 GTR going on 2 years. The rear view mirror has always wiggled slightly from day one, just enough to be annoying. I just had my vehicle in for it's annual oil/filter/rotate/state inspection (I only drive around maybe 3k miles/year). Anyway, I asked them to adjust the mirror while it was there. They told me the mirror couldn't be tightened & ordered me a new one under warranty.

While I'm waiting for the replacement to arrive, like most of us on this forum, I looked up what said replacement lists for. The replacement lists for $568.62 US which is absolutely insane IMO. The accessory frameless mirror which comes standard on the Signature model lists for $325 if added to the GTR in Mazda's "Build Your Own" on their website or $269.95 (Mazda list price) if purchased stand alone. I asked the parts guy at my dealer & he said he sees the same thing & has no idea why there is such a price difference much less why the original one costs that much.

It's a moot point to me since Mazda is replacing mine under warranty, BUT REALLY!!! How can a mirror possibly cost that much?

Just looked at the UK interior mirror and it’s about $170 plus tax but I think the only difference is you get the Homelink buttons.

I have my 2nd 2019 CX-5 GTR going on 2 years. The rear view mirror has always wiggled slightly from day one, just enough to be annoying. I just had my vehicle in for it's annual oil/filter/rotate/state inspection (I only drive around maybe 3k miles/year). Anyway, I asked them to adjust the mirror while it was there. They told me the mirror couldn't be tightened & ordered me a new one under warranty.

While I'm waiting for the replacement to arrive, like most of us on this forum, I looked up what said replacement lists for. The replacement lists for $568.62 US which is absolutely insane IMO. The accessory frameless mirror which comes standard on the Signature model lists for $325 if added to the GTR in Mazda's "Build Your Own" on their website or $269.95 (Mazda list price) if purchased stand alone. I asked the parts guy at my dealer & he said he sees the same thing & has no idea why there is such a price difference much less why the original one costs that much.

It's a moot point to me since Mazda is replacing mine under warranty, BUT REALLY!!! How can a mirror possibly cost that much?
Actually the loose rearview mirror on CX-5 is a known issue including mine. There’s a Torx 20 screw which can tighten up the loose rearview mirror and that’s all you need. When I raised this issue my service advisor told me Mazda has issued a Service Advisory telling their techs dont make the mirror-holding Torx 20 screw too tight when customers are having loose mirror complaint, or the windshield may get cracked in that area.

ECAC8C19-53A8-40DA-8785-3B8596803D72.jpeg

I finally decided to do something to our loose auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink on Sunday before the weather is getting too cold and the tabs of plastic cover may become less flexible and more fragile. I guess I was lucky none of the tabs been broken after I separated the windshield sensor cover. Again thanks to Kedis82ZE8 otherwise I would need to get the new cover!
2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520Windshield%252520Sensors%252520Cover_03.jpg

The T20 screw holding the heavy mirror was loose. I tightened it up but not too much as I'm fully aware the weak windshield issue on CX-5 and many people had line crack developed from this sensor area due to stress fracture which might be caused by the heavy mirror attached to a small metal plate glued to the windshield, definitely not sensors as these sensors looked pretty light-weighted and attached to larger area of the windshield.
2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520Windshield%252520Sensors_02.jpg

I've seen at least one forum member mentioned having the loose auto-dimming rearview mirror. That's why I went ahead and checked ours for sure ours was loose too. I suspect Mazda is intentionally not putting enough torque on this T20 screw to prevent adding too much uneven force by the screw itself against the metal plate and windshield, hence loose mirror after the delivery. But leaving the mirror loose may also contribute possibility of line crack on windshield as the base of the mirror will keep banging the windshield. To me, the design needs to be improved. At least the metal plate which glued to the windshield where the heavy mirror attached to should be larger and thicker!

How To Remove the Sensor Cover Behind the Windshield

2018 CX-5 GT with loose rear view mirror mount

⋯ While I'm waiting for the replacement to arrive, like most of us on this forum, I looked up what said replacement lists for. The replacement lists for $568.62 US which is absolutely insane IMO. The accessory frameless mirror which comes standard on the Signature model lists for $325 if added to the GTR in Mazda's "Build Your Own" on their website or $269.95 (Mazda list price) if purchased stand alone. I asked the parts guy at my dealer & he said he sees the same thing & has no idea why there is such a price difference much less why the original one costs that much.

I believe the part numbers between your frameless rearview mirror with HomeLink on the invoice and the “same” mirror in genuine accessary are different. The actual mirrors between the two may be the same, but may also be different (such as from different venders). Price difference comes from the parts and accessary categories which have different ways on cost and pricing calculation.

Back