2018 CX-5 GT with loose rear view mirror mount

Zerocx5

:
2018 cx 5 gt
Hey there
I just picked up a 2018 cx5 gt non tech. I notice The rear view mirror moves a little bit at the mount. Like the mount screw is not quiet tight enough allowing a bit of play at the mount. I have the auto dimming with home link. My buddy whos a tech at my Mazda dealer said they all have a little bit of play at the mount. Im just wondering if everyone elses is like that? It doesnt vibrate or rattle. I also heard they do that so its not to tight as it could crack the windshield if its to tight. Im going to go stop in there tomorrow and see if any of the other ones are the same. But being my buddy a master tech for 10 years said its normal makes me not really worry. But ya is any one elses move a bit at the mount? Thanks !

I have the auto-dimming mirror with home link and mine doesn't wobble at all. Your 'friend' is handing you a line, don't believe it. Take it in to the dealer and have it fixed.

There is a torx 20 screw holding it at the mount. To get at it, the plastic covers come off by sliding them sideways. If its cold, leave the demister on hot for 10 minutes just to soften the plastic.

Hey there
I just picked up a 2018 cx5 gt non tech. I notice The rear view mirror moves a little bit at the mount. Like the mount screw is not quiet tight enough allowing a bit of play at the mount. I have the auto dimming with home link. My buddy whos a tech at my Mazda dealer said they all have a little bit of play at the mount. Im just wondering if everyone elses is like that? It doesnt vibrate or rattle. I also heard they do that so its not to tight as it could crack the windshield if its to tight. Im going to go stop in there tomorrow and see if any of the other ones are the same. But being my buddy a master tech for 10 years said its normal makes me not really worry. But ya is any one elses move a bit at the mount? Thanks !
Yeah your friend at Mazda dealer said it correctly and also consistent with the service rep at my Mazda dealer when I had the same issue on my 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech. My service rep also told me Mazda has issued a service advisory telling their techs dont make the mirror-holding Torx 20 screw too tight when customers are having loose mirror complaint. Since therere so many complaints on cracked windshield from sensor area worldwide on 2015 CX-5 with added windshield sensors for the MY, apparently Mazda has decided to reduce the torque on the Torx 20 screw holding the heavy auto-dimming rearview mirror, hence therere quite a few cases reported for loose rearview mirror. Looks like the design is still the same on the mirror holder for gen-2 CX-5, and most CX-5 owners wouldnt care if the rearview mirror is a little loose, unless its actually making vibration noise. IMO the fix is easy and Mazda only needs to use bigger and stronger metal piece glued on the windshield for mirror holding, but apparently Mazda believes its not worth it to spend some pennies making a change.

How To Remove the Sensor Cover Behind the Windshield

Mine has a bit of play... but most of my cars over the years have. Not all. It doesn't vibrate, so it doesn't bother me.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There is a torx 20 screw holding it at the mount. To get at it, the plastic covers come off by sliding them sideways. If its cold, leave the demister on hot for 10 minutes just to soften the plastic.

+1. Mine loosens every now and then and I have to pop the covers off and re-tighten. Just be careful to not make it too tight, just go in small increments until it isn't as loose.

MY 2018 GT non tech is a bit loose on the mount also. You can push up on the bottom of the mirror and it will move up a little bit and when you let go of the mirror it goes back down to where it rests. I sat in 2 other cx5*s the same as mine at the dealer and they both had the same amount of play. It doesn*t vibrate or anything or doesn*t make any noise. Should I leave it or tighten the screw just enough that the play is gone? I don*t want to introduce any extra stress and potentially crack the glass up there. Not sure what to do? Thanks

same with mine.I think they not tighten them from factory on purpose.
Mine started rattling though on rough roads. I opened the plastic covers and fixed it by screwing the bolt just a little bit. Enough not to stress anything but good to fix the rattle.

same with mine.I think they not tighten them from factory on purpose.
Mine started rattling though on rough roads. I opened the plastic covers and fixed it by screwing the bolt just a little bit. Enough not to stress anything but good to fix the rattle.

Did you tighten it just enough to get rid of the loosness that I talked about ?
Thanks !

Tightend mine up today. I could just fit a torx screwdriver up in there and it grabbed enough to tighten it. Seems to be fine as far as I can tell.

yes just a bit to remove the play in the rearview mirror.
That also stopped the rattling noise in my case. Some roads are quite bad here in Phoenix even though we dont get much rain or snow :)

Ya went for a drive and it seems pretty solid now. I mean it*s going to have a tad bit of play in the socket. Also over bumps it of course moves around with the car but it doesn*t vibrate that it distortes my view.
Main reason I wanted to tighten it was that when it*s cold out the mirror is tight and when it warms up in the car it would drop down a tad so I was always adjusting it lol. Minor but still.

Can someone explain how to take the plastic cover of or point me to the video on how to do it if I wanted to tighten mirror myself without taking car to dealer, my CX5 is out of warranty and dealer wants $150 for diagnostic testing first before they touch the car even when I tell him that all I need is to tighten screw on the rear view mirror…., crazy.

Can someone explain how to take the plastic cover of or point me to the video on how to do it if I wanted to tighten mirror myself without taking car to dealer, my CX5 is out of warranty and dealer wants $150 for diagnostic testing first before they touch the car even when I tell him that all I need is to tighten screw on the rear view mirror…., crazy.
Haven’t seen any videos (hard to take video when you need both hands to separate the sensor cover), but factory shop manual should help. Although this’s for gen-1 CX-5 but the way to remove the sensor cover should be similar to gen-2 CX-5.

How To Remove the Sensor Cover Behind the Windshield

Back