2016 CX-5 Electrics going dead

Sometimes the electrics on my 2016.5 CX-5 die...Meaning I have to use the manual key to open the driver's door. The engine seems completely dead. But my daughter's friend told me to open the hood and touch the engine in a couple of places then try to start the engine again...It worked and didn't need a jump start. This is now happened once or twice a day. Any idea why? Btw, the battery looks like this at the moment.

Attachments

• tempImageCIuMkk.png
    tempImageCIuMkk.png
    271.5 KB · Views: 170
  • tempImageUY5lR5.png
    tempImageUY5lR5.png
    261.1 KB · Views: 176
Dying battery maybe? How old is it?

Also what’s the white stuff? Is the battery leaking (i.e. casing cracked at the holding clamps, etc)?

To be honest, overall it seems terrible on the outside.

Upvote 0
Sometimes the electrics on my 2016.5 CX-5 die...Meaning I have to use the manual key to open the driver's door. The engine seems completely dead. But my daughter's friend told me to open the hood and touch the engine in a couple of places then try to start the engine again...It worked and didn't need a jump start. This is now happened once or twice a day. Any idea why? Btw, the battery looks like this at the moment.
Touch the engine in a couple of places? And this allowed you to start the car when it wouldn't start before?

Have you had the 'healing touch' in the past? :ROFLMAO:

That battery needs to be replaced, ASAP!

In the pics you didn't lift the positive battery terminal cover but I can see blue corrosion next to the cover. I'll bet that if you lift that cover that the entire positive terminal is corroded. You can clean that blue and white crap off with a mixture of baking soda and water. Use a brush with the baking soda solution and rinse with clean water when done.

You'll still need to replace that battery. Be sure the clean ALL of the connections when installing the new battery.

Upvote 0
You have OEM Mazda High Performance battery made by Interstate. OEM battery has 36/60-month replacement warranty. 1-36 months: free replacement and labor. 37-48 months: customer is responsible for 70% of the battery MSRP and labor. 49-60 months: 80% of the battery MSRP and labor.

The factory Panasonic battery should last at least 2 ~ 3 years. This means your current OEM battery should be less than 3 years old in a 2016.5 CX-5 and still has free replacement warranty.

Like mentioned above, take your CX-5 to your Mazda dealer and get the battery replaced ASAP. Leaking acid is a legit reason to get a new replacement battery even if the dealer claims the battery load-tested good (I doubt it though), although sometimes it could be caused by the charging system (over-charging).

Do ask the dealer to clean up all the white and blue stuff on both post terminals and battery holders. I’d ask for free new holders and OEM cable with terminals as the leaky battery has damaged those parts.

If you haven’t, replace the CR2025 battery in both of your key fobs too.

Upvote 0
The factory Panasonic battery should last at least 2 ~ 3 years. This means your current OEM battery should be less than 3 years old in a 2016.5 CX-5 and still has free replacement warranty.
I, for one, am not following your math. 3 years (the free replacement limit) on a 2016.5 would be over in 2019. At best I think he's in the 49-60 month range which means paying 80%. At that point, I'd go elsewhere (like Costco) and expect to pay less than what the dealer would be charging.

Upvote 0
I, for one, am not following your math. 3 years (the free replacement limit) on a 2016.5 would be over in 2019. At best I think he's in the 49-60 month range which means paying 80%. At that point, I'd go elsewhere (like Costco) and expect to pay less than what the dealer would be charging.
No, his current battery in question is not (Japanese made) Panasonic battery from factory, instead it’d been replaced by Mazda dealer with (US) Interstate made OEM Mazda High Performance battery sometime in past couple of years. The current OEM Mazda High Performance battery should be less than 3 years old and be covered under 36-month free replacement warranty. Definitely go to Mazda dealer for that.

BTW, the price for Interstate Group 35 battery sold at Costco for CX-5 has gone up recently too, from $79.99 to $89.99.

Upvote 0
BTW, the price for Interstate Group 35 battery sold at Costco for CX-5 has gone up recently too, from $79.99 to $89.99.
For the price, I always get my batteries there. I love my cars and want the best, but I can't see buying the AGM/deep cycle/Optima (or whatever) for 3 times the price. Maybe it's like mechanics buying Snap-On tools - they don't want to replace them, they just want them to work, period. Now, I don't skimp out on TP - only Charmin for my butt

Upvote 0
There are pretty much only 2 battery manufacturers in the United States: Johnson Controls (JCI) and East Penn. JCI has 80% market share, and East Penn has about a 15% share. The last 5% is pretty split up among all of the other companies (like Panasonic) combined.

So, if you go to a store, no matter what the sticker says on the battery, there is a 95% chance it's either a JCI or East Penn.

So, ignore brands like Duralast, Everstart, Duracell, Interstate, insert brand here. Just get whatever is on sale that fits in your spot.

Personally, I go for the Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries. They're about the cheapest ones on the market, and yeah, they work just fine. Because other than the sticker, it's the same battery you buy from anyone else!

There are different technologies like flooded lead acid (regular battery), AGM, and Lithium, but unless you have something like a massive stereo or lots and lots of accessory lights and stuff, Lithium is big time overkill, and you probably don't even need AGM.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For the price, I always get my batteries there. I love my cars and want the best, but I can't see buying the AGM/deep cycle/Optima (or whatever) for 3 times the price. Maybe it's like mechanics buying Snap-On tools - they don't want to replace them, they just want them to work, period. Now, I don't skimp out on TP - only Charmin for my butt
Costco usually gives members good value. Batteries sold by Costco are from Interstate, the same on Mazda OEM “High Performance” batteries which are also made by Interstate. I have no problem getting an interstate battery from Costco, just got a little upset from my last experience.

I went to Costco in San Jose to get a Group 51R Interstate battery for my 1998 Honda CR-V in the end of May. Not only the guy told me I’m “lucky” that price just went up $10 from yesterday, but also I spent 4 hours there because the first battery I got has a physical damage, and he couldn’t figure out how to swap another battery with all the complicated paper work from Costco’s system. Because I brought in dead Honda 100-month battery in advance while getting a new battery to save an extra trip for the core charge, he couldn’t resolve the sales tax difference when he’s doing the battery swap. He was calling never can be found manager for 40 minutes, and the manager eventually came but he had no idea either. I suggested we can simply do return and re-purchase. Unfortunately that meant I had to wait on another long line to get damaged battery returned!

4 hours just to get a battery from Costco, and it’s not even on the weekend!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem with the above post is that assumes that every battery type made by either manufacturer is the same regardless of the name on the case. This idea uses the same faulty logic as those who say that all gasoline coming out of a refinery is the same regardless of the name on the pump. Those in the industry know that is simply not true, but consumers will try to justify saving money over logic or fact.

Those with experience and insight into the retail industry know that manufacturers will tweek a product to meet a retailer’s price point. Walmart in particular does this, forcing many of its suppliers to reduce their product cost to meet Walmart’s desired purchase price. An example from personal experience: ice coolers sold by Walmart will lack some of the plastic additives which improve product life, like plasticizers and UV protection…or the concentration of these will be lower than in their general product line. The result is that a cooler you buy at Walmart may appear to be identical to the same model you buy elsewhere, but in reality it is not. How does this lack of consistent quality effect the consumer? Most won’t care because it‘s the low price that matters; if it only lasts two years they’ll just buy another one. Result: a win-win for Walmart.

This same scenario may also apply to batteries, I don’t know. But the assumption in the above post is neither proven nor does it fit with the reality of the retail industry. Caveat Emptor.

Upvote 0
To my knowledge, Interstate doesn't make their own brand of batteries ( maybe they did in the past, don't know). They used to be Johnson Controls and I understand it's now Exide or some other maker and the quality isn't as good as it used to be. The days of buying by brand name alone aren't a given anymore.

Upvote 0
To my knowledge, Interstate doesn't make their own brand of batteries ( maybe they did in the past, don't know). They used to be Johnson Controls and I understand it's now Exide or some other maker and the quality isn't as good as it used to be. The days of buying by brand name alone aren't a given anymore.
JCI bought Exide a number of years ago. It's the exact same company now. And yes, JCI is the manufacturer of Interstate batteries.

Upvote 0
The problem with the above post is that assumes that every battery type made by either manufacturer is the same regardless of the name on the case.
Because of the MASSIVE environmental regulations regarding the manufacturing of batteries, it's pretty much true. Those regulations are why there's only two manufacturers left in America.

Assuming a like for like technology (Flooded lead acid v FLA, or AGM vs AGM, etc), the only difference between one battery and another will be the CCA and warranty.

If you buy a FLA Group 35 "Duralast" with 640CCA's, a 95 minute RC, and a 3 year warranty, and compare it with a Group 35 "Super Start" with 640CCA's, a 95 minute RC, and a 3 year warranty, the only difference between them is the sticker and the price. So go for price.

Upvote 0
And wow, JCI isn't even making batteries anymore. They sold that business off to a Canadian company. That leaves only one American company left as Exide is bankrupt and owned by a holding company.

Upvote 0
There are pretty much only 2 battery manufacturers in the United States: Johnson Controls (JCI) and Deka. JCI has 80% market share, and Deka has about a 15% share. The last 5% is pretty split up among all of the other companies (like Panasonic) combined.
According to Consumer Reports, “most aftermarket car batteries sold in the U.S. are made by three companies that build them for retailers: Johnson Controls, which supplies more than half of the market; Exide; and East Penn.“

Car Battery Buying Guide

Of course Johnson Controls sold their automotive battery business to Clarios in 2019. Not any batteries now is made by Johnson Controls.

Exide Technologies LLC won bankruptcy court approval to sell its Americas battery business to an affiliate of Atlas Holdings in 2020. Atlas Holdings is a manager of investments in industrial manufacturing and distribution businesses.

East Penn is Deka / MK, and so far nothing has changed.

Interstate batteries are no doubt one of the most popular battery brands. From my own experience they usually are reliable and relatively affordable. And many OEM batteries I’ve purchased for my own vehicles from Mazda、Honda、BMW、and VW dealers are all “made by” (or from) Interstate.

“The maker of Interstate Batteries is Brookfield Business Partners and Exide Technologies. The Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., a privately owned battery marketing and distribution company in the United States, markets these batteries.

There was a previous report that Johnson Controls is making 65% of Interstate Batteries. However, this is no longer true. Johnson Controls is not currently making these batteries. The company Brookfield and Exide Technologies has already taken over this job.”

Who Makes Interstate Batteries [Interstate Battery Review]

Finally, I don’t believe Panasonic is selling any automotive batteries in the US.

Upvote 0
Dying battery maybe? How old is it?

Also what’s the white stuff? Is the battery leaking (i.e. casing cracked at the holding clamps, etc)?

To be honest, overall it seems terrible on the outside.
Our battery clamp looked just like that, so I replaced it this last time I changed the battery a few months ago. Our 2014 is now on its 3rd battery. And that hold-down clamp is insanely cheap, like $5 or $6 for the OEM Mazda part.

Upvote 0
From what I'm reading here, it seems that car batteries are going down the same path as pretty much every other consumer goods: they are not as good as they used to be and fail much earlier. (Apliances are a good example). It wasn't that long ago when car batteries lasted 6-10 years, even up here in snow country. Now you folks are saying 3-4 years is the average? That's just terrible. Mine is now 3.5 years old, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
Those with experience and insight into the retail industry know that manufacturers will tweek a product to meet a retailer’s price point. Walmart in particular does this, forcing many of its suppliers to reduce their product cost to meet Walmart’s desired purchase price.
Boy, ain't this the truth. Here in Canada we have the same scenario with Canadian Tire Corp (CTC) products.
My kids played hockey and we bought what we thought was top of the line skates from a reputable manufacturer at a great price. Turns out the skates looked the same, and were labelled the same, but were made with inferior materials and poorer assembly, compared to the real deal. That's what CTC asked for, and the manufacturer obliged. It was basically like buying knockoffs. They fell apart very quickly. I stopped giving CTC my business a long time ago. Garbage products.
As for car batteries: Costco for me.

Upvote 0
Back