Are you content with 19” Toyos or replacing them ASAP?

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
Just wondering what owners with 2019-21 models with 19” wheels and tires think of their stock tires and are you “sticking“ with them? I bought a 2019 Signature and my lease will be up in early 2022. There were a lot of complaints about the 2019 Toyos at the time so I had the dealer upgrade to Michelins at a great price. There’s three model years of experience with them now and I’m interested in what people think.

Toyos are ok the first 1-2 yrs and may be 15-20k. Afterwards not so much.
I switched to Michelin after say 12k miles and have been very happy after.
I think most people drive them till they are gone and then change.

I have no complaints with the stock tires. If not for here I wouldn't think twice about them. But I'm not racing anybody.
Same here. I'll replace them when they hit the wear bars. I've driven on snow and in rain and had no issues. Like Murky says, I am not racing anyone.

I live in a area in N AZ where I can go play on mountain roads so i plan to replace them shortly. I'll have some lightly used Toyos for sale when i get to that point later this summer.:rolleyes:

Just wondering what owners with 2019-21 models with 19” wheels and tires think of their stock tires and are you “sticking“ with them? I bought a 2019 Signature and my lease will be up in early 2022. There were a lot of complaints about the 2019 Toyos at the time so I had the dealer upgrade to Michelins at a great price. There’s three model years of experience with them now and I’m interested in what people think.
225/55R19 factory tires are Toyo A23 on gen-1 CX-5, and Toyo A36 on gen-2 CX-5. They’re very similar on specs and performance, and both are decent tires for the CX-5. And there’re very few people who bought CX-5 got rid of the Toyo tires when new, mainly from those who had encountered vibration issue from brand new defective Toyo’s.

I'm fine with the stock tires. They handled some pretty nasty snow this year on Chicago's streets with no problem and are fine for regular day to day driving. I always rotate them every 5K or so.

One of the reasons I lease is to never bother with replacing tires, I leave that for the next guy.

Just passed 30k miles and am happy with them. I may replace them with the same thing when the time comes!

225/55R19 factory tires are Toyo A23 on gen-1 CX-5, and Toyo A36 on gen-2 CX-5. They’re very similar on specs and performance, and both are decent tires for the CX-5. And there’re very few people who bought CX-5 got rid of the Toyo tires when new, mainly from those who had encountered vibration issue from brand new defective Toyo’s.
Have the vibration issues gone away/been corrected? There was a lot of heated discussion on this forum in 2019 when the 19" first appeared on the CX-5.

The TOYO A36 are good tires for my 2021 GTR. Smooth as silk at 80 mph for hours on hyw75. Michelin tires seem to be a problem here in FL. Side wall cracking due to UV and heat seems to be the issue. I also had General Altimax 225/60/17 on my 2014 CX5 and was very happy with them.

On my previous SUV, a Jeep Cherokee with turbo 2.0, I replaced the stock 19” Yoko tires with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires. This was a great tire for paved roads without snow here in AZ, not sure how they would work up north. The corresponding tire for the CX-5 would be P245/50R19 and fit a 7” rim. These were top of the line Bridgestone high performance tires a few years ago, they are now in Bridgestone’s “budget” Firestone line. Very good performance pavement tires which I currently have on two of my vehicles. I do not know how they would perform in snow etc. but for spirited dry pavement driving they have great turn-in, excellent steady state grip, and awesome braking. I will replace the stock Toyos with these tires when the time comes - if not before.

BTW, zero vibration issues. And I treat my tires with Aerospace 303 to prevent UV degradation.

Those are good tires, but I need a little better winter snow capability. Don't have to worry about them melting into the asphalt in the summer like you do 😂

I replaced them the day I got the car, as I wanted a wider tire with better dry and wet grip. I heard pretty bad things about the Toyos...

The TOYO A36 are good tires for my 2021 GTR. Smooth as silk at 80 mph for hours on hyw75.
IMO OE 225/55R19 Toyo A23 and A36 for our CX-5 are decent tires, especially consider their prices are about a half of top Michelin’s. Tread life is OK with 300 treadwear on UTQG and my A23’s now has 43,085 miles with 3/32” tread depth left.

Michelin tires seem to be a problem here in FL. Side wall cracking due to UV and heat seems to be the issue.
Yes, the Michelin’s on my 2001.5 VW Passat developed dry rots on the sidewall too within 5 years and 36K miles. And Michelin said that’s normal.

I also had General Altimax 225/60/17 on my 2014 CX5 and was very happy with them.
I have General AltiMax RT43 on my 1998 Honda CR-V and they’re the best tires overall for the vehicle among many different sets of new tires.

We’ve had our 2021 CX-5s for a couple of months now. Only 1500 miles on each. The Toyos seem to be decent enough tires for summer driving. However, because we live up north where we get snow, slush and ice in the winter, I will be getting Michelins this fall before the snow flys. If we lived in Arizona, I wouldn’t replace the Toyos until they needed replacing.

The OEM Toyo's are fantastic performing tires. As mentioned by many CX-5 owners their big downfall is that they wear out way to quickly. But to get the much desired driving/handling characteristics that they offer Mazda requested that Toyo design a tire for them to provide these type of characteristics that we all have come to appreciate. What to pick for an option from your dealer when you first purchase your CX-5 or when the OEM Toyo's wear out is the ongoing debate. I have previously run (and loved) Michelin Premier LTX's which have a slightly better treadlife than the Toyo's but I believe that they are being discontinued. The newer Michelin CrossClimate 2's aren't quite what I need as they are more of a true 4 season tire and since I run separate winter tires I just need a 3 season/all season tire up here in Canada. One other option that many have shown a preference for are the Continental CrossContact LX25's which is currently the tire in the running for me when my Toyo's wear out.

We’ve had our 2021 CX-5s for a couple of months now. Only 1500 miles on each. The Toyos seem to be decent enough tires for summer driving. However, because we live up north where we get snow, slush and ice in the winter, I will be getting Michelins this fall before the snow flys. If we lived in Arizona, I wouldn’t replace the Toyos until they needed replacing.
I bought a set of used 17" Mazda 3 wheels, like new for maybe $200 and got some nice winter tires to swap on from roughly November through March.

I just purchased Continental TrueContacts last month. They are much nicer than the stock Toyo's. Very smooth and quiet on the highway. Dry traction is good also. The only con I can say is that the sidewall is a bit soft.

Back