Oil filter - 2.5L Turbo

Yea, it's a shame.

What is the consequence of having the wrong oil filter installed (PE01-14-302A vs. 1WPY-14-302)?
Honestly the PE01-14-302A-MV you installed should be fine in normal driving conditions on your 2.5T. But there’s a reason why Mazda designed a different oil filter for 2.5T instead of using previous oil filter from the 2.5L. The specs have to be different between 2 oil filters.

To me, I’d pay $10 getting correct and better non-value-products 1WPY-14-302 oil filter and spend some time to replace the wrong filter for the peace of mind. You never know if the engine is ever developed some oil related issues and Mazda could use this as an excuse to void the warranty.

Honestly the PE01-14-302A-MV you installed should be fine in normal driving conditions on your 2.5T. But there’s a reason why Mazda designed a different oil filter for 2.5T instead of using previous oil filter from the 2.5L. The specs have to be different between 2 oil filters.

To me, I’d pay $10 getting correct and better non-value-products 1WPY-14-302 oil filter and spend some time to replace the wrong filter for the peace of mind. You never know if the engine is ever developed some oil related issues and Mazda could use this as an excuse to void the warranty.
Yea agree. I ordered the correct filter and an additional quart of Idemitsu oil. It'll give me piece of mind.

Thank you for your help!

It sounds like that dealership uses the same oil filter for for all their cars, turbo or non turbo. I would call their parts department and ask if they have an oil filter part number 1WPY-14-302, out of curiosity.

So I just went to the dealer to pick up a couple and they sold me the 1WPE – 14–302. I verified multiple times with the parts sales rep and he kept assuring me it’s the correct parts. I walked out with them, did a little research on my phone, and went back in and ask them to replace them with the correct part number 1WPY – 14–302. Parts guy insisted that they are the same filter, and that they use the WPE on all the turbo cars.

I showed him the information on my phone that stated that the one he provided me was not for the CX-9 turbo and that the correct part number is the one that is for the turbo vehicles. I told him that’s what Mazda says is the correct part number. He tells me we are Mazda and that’s the one we use on the turbos when we do the oil change.

I am wondering how many oil changes they have Done on turbo cars using the non-turbo oil filters. And even wondering if something were to happen to the engine and a warranty claim could be denied for using the wrong filter, who would be responsible?

Just a little frustrated with the situation and the fact that we can’t even trust the dealer to use the correct parts

So I just went to the dealer to pick up a couple and they sold me the 1WPE – 14–302. I verified multiple times with the parts sales rep and he kept assuring me it’s the correct parts. I walked out with them, did a little research on my phone, and went back in and ask them to replace them with the correct part number 1WPY – 14–302. Parts guy insisted that they are the same filter, and that they use the WPE on all the turbo cars.

I showed him the information on my phone that stated that the one he provided me was not for the CX-9 turbo and that the correct part number is the one that is for the turbo vehicles. I told him that’s what Mazda says is the correct part number. He tells me we are Mazda and that’s the one we use on the turbos when we do the oil change.

I am wondering how many oil changes they have Done on turbo cars using the non-turbo oil filters. And even wondering if something were to happen to the engine and a warranty claim could be denied for using the wrong filter, who would be responsible?

Just a little frustrated with the situation and the fact that we can’t even trust the dealer to use the correct parts
You should've asked him for 1 filter for a 2.0l CX-3 then 1 for a CX-9.......then tell him "so the same filter product number is used for two different type of engines?" If that doesn't alert him..........lol.

You should've asked him for 1 filter for a 2.0l CX-3 then 1 for a CX-9.......then tell him "so the same filter product number is used for two different type of engines?" If that doesn't alert him..........lol.He even pulled them both out of the box and showed them to me saying look they are the same filter just different numbers and this one (
You should've asked him for 1 filter for a 2.0l CX-3 then 1 for a CX-9.......then tell him "so the same filter product number is used for two different type of engines?" If that doesn't alert him..........lol.
He even pulled them out of the box and showed them to me. Saying see they are the same filter just with different part numbers and this one (the 1WPY – 14–302) just has an extra line around the top. But I may try your method… if I go back there again.

That parts guy was dense. He saw on your phone the correct part number and in so many words said No, the engineers are wrong? Did he end up giving you the right filters or did they not have them?

You should have just showed the dealer parts guy this document from Mazda North American Operations:

REFERENCE NO: RF-16-03 ALL SKYACTIV® MODELS - OIL FILTER APPLICATION

163F86C1-EA27-4C04-BE53-92543021B561.jpeg

And since Dec. 2019, MNAO had stopped to supply Japanese made OEM Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302 oil filter installed on the 2.5T from factory in the US, and it got superseded by Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302 oil filter.

And there’s the PY8W-14-302-MV “Value” OEM oil filter made in Mexico that many Mazda dealers use on the 2.5T.

All of these confusions actually has nobody else to blame but Mazda itself.

You can just order the original Japanese made Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302 oil filter at partsouq.com from UAE like Glee217 did and you should receive it within a week:

2021 CX-5 GTR Oil Filter Question

And yes, we can imagine there’re too many wrong oil filters been put on to the 2.5T by these incompetent Mazda dealers!

Last edited:
He even pulled them out of the box and showed them to me. Saying see they are the same filter just with different part numbers and this one (the 1WPY – 14–302) just has an extra line around the top. But I may try your method… if I go back there again.
😵‍💫

This is one of the reasons I have never stepped foot back inside the dealer, since I purchased it. I'm glad ours has been flawless and just needing routine maintenance I can do myself.

Dealers reporting 0w-20 use on 2.5 T invoices, now one selling the wrong filter. Can’t trust anybody to do things correctly. Damn shame.

I'm an oil filter "snob" as well. I'll on all of my vehicles, including equipment, I only use OEM filters. We are so anal, we compare one OEM filter to another. Which honestly is AWESOME. We do this because Zoom-Zoom!

But think about this: those hundreds of thousands of poor schmucks who get truly "one-size-fits-all" trash from the Quick Lube places.

The MAZDA Turbo Oil filter "part number" seemed to be released around late 2015 to aftermarket oil filter companies. There are no specification updates given to at least the ones I have contacts with nor even available through MAZDA? :unsure:
OE will often update/change superseded or even add different part number but that the actual parts has no technical changes. Many of us have seen this before regarding not only oil filters.

BTW Mobil1 has a better warranty program than MAZDA for protecting the engine using their products!
IT is also accepted by MAZDA Corp as well covered under the Magnuson–Moss Act in the USA

Just saying..

Currently I use MAZDA oil filters but that reason is because I purchased a NIB case of 12 for 24 bucks. Other wise it would be K&N, Mobil1 or FRAM. Its not likely that with my low mileage oil/filter service @3-5k miles that I would ever use more then 10 filtering capacity of any oil filter I prefer to use.

I am a Filter snob but for quality oil filters not always with the OE

Last edited:
Back