Mirror Won't Close After Car Wash

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I don't want to be repetitive and searched the issue but didn't find an answer. I took my Signature to a car wash yesterday in here in Colombia. This is not self service but the old kind where I guy actually washes your car. When I picked it up I found the driver's side mirror only closes half way. I don't know what he did but do you think it can be fixed easily at the dealer? I have to take the car in for it's 20,000 kilometer maintenance next week.

Thanks for the link, I know others have had one problem or another with the mirrors. Both of mine worked fine until I took the car to the carwash so I'm sure the guy washing did something though I don't know what.

It's possible that he may have manual folded the mirrors closed/open. In the US/CAN owner's manuals, they state that mirrors equipped with auto-folding functionality should not be manually opened because it can cause the mirrors to operate incorrectly. I'd take it to your dealer to see if they can fix the issue for you under warranty (just don't mention anything about the car wash, lol).

Thanks that's what I'll have to do. A pain having to remember to tell the car wash guys don't mess with the mirrors.

Thanks that's what I'll have to do. A pain having to remember to tell the car wash guys don't mess with the mirrors.
I don’t think manually pushing the power folding mirrors would do any actual damage to them. I’ve done that to other vehicles many times. Yours just happens to be about time failing. Remember to bring the TSB and ask for the replacement on whole assembly. And make sure to turn auto-folding feature off after you got a new one.

I don’t think manually pushing the power folding mirrors would do any actual damage to them. I’ve done that to other vehicles many times. Yours just happens to be about time failing. Remember to bring the TSB and ask for the replacement on whole assembly. And make sure to turn auto-folding feature off after you got a new one.

I don't agree. The CX-5 is different from your other vehicles, which really shouldn't need to be said. Suppliers are probably different. Mirror construction/operation/components are probably different. Further, you can't put a time frame on mirror folding failure because it seems to be dependent on how often they are used, not how old they are - which makes sense because those who turn the auto-fold feature off seem to experience this problem less frequently (which is why you suggested turning the feature off, I assume).

Mazda TSB 09-011/20 specifically states that "2019 CX-5 vehicles (equipped with power folding mirror) with VINs lower than JM3KF******653298 (produced before June 11, 2019)" are affected. @Pitter, your CX-5 is a 2020, so as long as your VIN doesn't fall in that range, you should already have revised mirrors.

In any event, the dealer should be able to resolve the issue since @Pitter's car is still under warranty.

Mazda TSB 09-011/20 specifically states that "2019 CX-5 vehicles (equipped with power folding mirror) with VINs lower than JM3KF******653298 (produced before June 11, 2019)" are affected. @Pitter, your CX-5 is a 2020, so as long as your VIN doesn't fall in that range, you should already have revised mirrors.

In any event, the dealer should be able to resolve the issue since @Pitter's car is still under warranty.
I don't think he has a NA VIN, so not really relevant here.

He's not in Mexico. I'll let him chime in, but remember, his '20 was out months before us in NA. He also has a CD player and other weird option differences.

My mistake, Colombia, not Mexico. Also, Russia and Malaysia produce CX-5s, but only for their respective markets. But you're right about component differences. The point I was trying to make is that there are no Colombian VINs - any CX-5 in markets outside of China, Russia, and Southeast Asia will have a Japanese VIN as worldwide market CX-5s are all produced in Japan.

This said, you're right, we may be discussing this for no real reason since the TSB likely only applies to NA market vehicles. A TSB from another region likely wouldn't help (but it certainly wouldn't hurt, either).

Ha ha yes. Thank you friends for indulging my issue. I'm not sure if my car has a "NA VIN". I'll have to go look tomorrow but it was certainly produced in Japan and shipped to the Pacific port of Buenaventura in Colombia before arriving in my hands. Regarding the mirror I fiddled with it and noted there is some play. On the properly functioning passenger side mirror there is no play whatsoever so something is very much amiss and I await my dealer's input (and hopefully repair) next week.

Back