CX-5 Clattering noise when accelerating

Hi all, I recently purchased a used 2017 CX-5 with 30k miles on it a week ago. I've been driving it on and off (not much), but today I noticed a clattering noise. I can only hear it when I hit the accelerator lightly at around 20-30 MPH when the engine is initially at 1,000 RPM (before I hit the gas). I can't hear it when I do the same in sport mode. I think I may be able to hear it a bit when decelerating with my foot off the gas around the same speeds, but I'm not sure.

It sounds like it's coming from underneath me, so not in the engine area. It's a clattering/vibrating sound. I've included an audio clip. Is this worth taking to the dealer to check out?

Hi all, I recently purchased a used 2017 CX-5 with 30k miles on it a week ago. I've been driving it on and off (not much), but today I noticed a clattering noise. I can only hear it when I hit the accelerator lightly at around 20-30 MPH when the engine is initially at 1,000 RPM (before I hit the gas). I can't hear it when I do the same in sport mode. I think I may be able to hear it a bit when decelerating with my foot off the gas around the same speeds, but I'm not sure.

It sounds like it's coming from underneath me, so not in the engine area. It's a clattering/vibrating sound. I've included an audio clip. Is this worth taking to the dealer to check out?

Honestly, I can’t hear anything abnormal from your sound track, not to mention the clattering noise. The best way to show your problem is to use a video with camera aiming at instruments. And tell us at exact what time the noise you heard is in the video piece.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I can’t hear anything abnormal from your sound track, not to mention the clattering noise. The best way to show your problem is to use a video with camera aiming at instruments. And tell us at exact what time the noise you heard is in the video piece.
You can hear it in the sound at 0:03-0:04, 0:18-0:19, and 0:34-0:35 in the SoundCloud link.

Upvote 0
You can hear it in the sound at 0:03-0:04, 0:18-0:19, and 0:34-0:35 in the SoundCloud link.
If you still have new car warranty, you should take your CX-5 to a Mazda dealer checking it out. The noise should be from suspension.
There’re multiple issues which may cause front suspension noises on gen-2 CX-5. Check out this thread and the TSB 02-002/18:

Click/ Clunk/ Knock sounds 2018 CX 5 AWD

A0DDA8AE-5054-41B9-A7E5-FC0DBD76913A.jpeg

Upvote 0
If you still have new car warranty, you should take your CX-5 to a Mazda dealer checking it out. The noise should be from suspension.
There’re multiple issues which may cause front suspension noises on gen-2 CX-5. Check out this thread and the TSB 02-002/18:

Click/ Clunk/ Knock sounds 2018 CX 5 AWD

View attachment 233411
Thanks for the response! I will take it into the dealer. I am not sure it's the suspension though, that thread indicates that it only happens when going over bumps or corners, while my noise happens primarily when accelerating (not sure that would indicate the suspension).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response! I will take it into the dealer. I am not sure it's the suspension though, that thread indicates that it only happens when going over bumps or corners, while my noise happens primarily when accelerating (not sure that would indicate the suspension).
The other possibility is the hydraulic engine mounts and / or transmission mounts which will be acceleration related. There’re problems on those mounts which were introduced for gen-2 CX-5, especially in cold weather. Do a search you’ll see although it usually causes engine vibration.

Upvote 0
The other possibility is the hydraulic engine mounts and / or transmission mounts which will be acceleration related. There’re problems on those mounts which were introduced for gen-2 CX-5, especially in cold weather. Do a search you’ll see although it usually causes engine vibration.
Yeah I can't pinpoint it completely but I think it's coming from below me when I'm driving, and it doesn't sound like it's coming from the engine. I will do some searching for that! I just bought the car so the dealer is going to look into it tomorrow as well.

Upvote 0
Yeah I can't pinpoint it completely but I think it's coming from below me when I'm driving, and it doesn't sound like it's coming from the engine. I will do some searching for that! I just bought the car so the dealer is going to look into it tomorrow as well.
Not much stuff under your seat which can make noise. Bring the TSB to show your dealer that should help them to find something.

Upvote 0
This reminds me of two separate incidents where people I know heard noises that drove them nuts. Both cases they swore the noises were something wrong with the car. Both were actually simply objects sliding around in 1) overhead sunglasses holder and 2) a door pocket.

Try to look around all the compartments, cubbies, consoles, glove box, spare tire area etc for something loose making the noise. Maybe even a rock could get caught up in the underbody stuff.

I couldn't hear a thing on the recording ... But my hearing is terrible anyway lol

Upvote 0
This reminds me of two separate incidents where people I know heard noises that drove them nuts. Both cases they swore the noises were something wrong with the car. Both were actually simply objects sliding around in 1) overhead sunglasses holder and 2) a door pocket.

Try to look around all the compartments, cubbies, consoles, glove box, spare tire area etc for something loose making the noise. Maybe even a rock could get caught up in the underbody stuff.

I couldn't hear a thing on the recording ... But my hearing is terrible anyway lol
Hah thanks for the advice! I did check around but found nothing.

I brought the car to the dealer I bought it from two weeks ago. They've had it for 2 days and have been able to replicate it. They aren't sure what exactly it is, they said they've never had something like this and have never seen it before. They think it could be something with either the transfer case or drive shaft.

But they said they are sending recordings to Mazda corporate and trying to see if they know anything as the next step. I'm quite concerned at this point, even though it's likely covered under warranty, the car only has 30k miles on it and it's from 2017.

Upvote 0
I brought the car to the dealer I bought it from two weeks ago. They've had it for 2 days and have been able to replicate it. They aren't sure what exactly it is, they said they've never had something like this and have never seen it before. They think it could be something with either the transfer case or drive shaft.
Ha, this sentence must have been said the most frequently by the car dealers!

Thanks for the update.
But they said they are sending recordings to Mazda corporate and trying to see if they know anything as the next step. I'm quite concerned at this point, even though it's likely covered under warranty, the car only has 30k miles on it and it's from 2017.
Do you have CPO warranty? If you don't, your new car warranty is 36K miles or 3 years whichever comes first. You're at the boarder line on 3 years. Do you happen to know the delivery date of the vehicle when it was new? Mazsa dealer should have such information.

Upvote 0
Ha, this sentence must have been said the most frequently by the car dealers!

Thanks for the update.

Do you have CPO warranty? If you don't, your new car warranty is 36K miles or 3 years whichever comes first. You're at the boarder line on 3 years. Do you happen to know the delivery date of the vehicle when it was new? Mazsa dealer should have such information.
Yeah I did get it CPO so no worries there, service guys said that they’re confident it will be covered either way! It’s just worrying that it’s some problem that they’ve never seen before but maybe that’s more common than I think! I hope it’s not a sign that the car is bad or something like that. I’m hoping to hear back tomorrow about it after they talk to corporate.

Upvote 0
Yeah I did get it CPO so no worries there, service guys said that they’re confident it will be covered either way! It’s just worrying that it’s some problem that they’ve never seen before but maybe that’s more common than I think! I hope it’s not a sign that the car is bad or something like that. I’m hoping to hear back tomorrow about it after they talk to corporate.
If you have CPO warranty you shouldn't be worried. IMO the problem shouldn't be a major one. Even if it is, the warranty will cover it. You have a 2017 and there'll be some issues due to the first year model for gen-2 CX-5; but the good thing is your 2017 2.5L doesn't have cylinder deactivation featured in 2018 and newer which to me will be problematic in the long run. Keep us updated once you heard something from your dealer.

Make sure to show the TSB to your Mazda dealer and ask them to check those items mentioned in the TSB.

Upvote 0
If you have CPO warranty you shouldn't be worried. IMO the problem shouldn't be a major one. Even if it is, the warranty will cover it. You have a 2017 and there'll be some issues due to the first year model for gen-2 CX-5; but the good thing is your 2017 2.5L doesn't have cylinder deactivation featured in 2018 and newer which to me will be problematic in the long run. Keep us updated once you heard something from your dealer.

Make sure to show the TSB to your Mazda dealer and ask them to check those items mentioned in the TSB.
I will show them the TSB and I’ll be sure to update this thread too. Appreciate the help :)

Upvote 0
To OP:
Did you check the heat shield near the drivetrain/driveshaft(AWD)?

Heat shield was my first thought.
Update from the dealer: they did actually check the heat shield as one of the first things but that wasn’t it. They have also replaced some coupling on the drivetrain which wasn’t it either. They cannot reproduce it on the lift but it reproduces fine on the road. They are waiting on drive train ears they said so they can listen for where the sound is exactly I would assume. They are fairly sure it’s a drive train rotational part at this point.

Upvote 0
Hopefully final update. They got the ears for the drive train and managed to figure it out. It's the rear differential which is totally covered so a relief there. They are ordering it and going to replace it hopefully this week.

Upvote 0
Actual final update. They replaced the rear differential coupling but even that did not solve it. However, some problem solver at Mazda HQ told them to replace the tires. The car came with two new back tires when I got it, so they replaced the front ones and voila, no more sound! So in the end, somehow it was the tires. I have the car back now :)

Upvote 0
Back