2016 CX-5 Sport Oil Light not on

:
02 WRX wagon/00 Protege lx
Hello, long time non-lurking member.

Back in Feb, I bought a '16 CX-5 AT with 83k on it. Love it and the mpg, traded in my 06 Tacoma w 233k on it. I needed something with better mpg for commuting.
Anyway, so the owners guide said the oil should be changed every 10k or once a year. Around July, when I hit the 100k mark, I was curious why the check engine/oil change indicator light never came on, since it was well over 10k. I am now at the 111k mile mark, and no indicator light. I guess my question is: do I have a broken indicator light? I mean all the warning lights do turn on when I start the car. Being a Sport model I seem to be limited to what I can do with the buttons. A In a couple weeks I am driving from Arkansas to Arizona and back, figured i'd get an oil change before I left. But, the lack of a light is vexing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

From the 2016 CX-5 Maintenance Schedule:

Engine oil flexible maintenance is available for U.S.A. and Puerto Rico residents whose vehicle is operated mainly where none of the following conditions apply.

• Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation such as police car, taxi or driving school car
  • Driving in dusty conditions

If any do apply, follow Schedule 2 with engine oil fixed maintenance.

The onboard computer in your vehicle calculates the remaining oil life based on engine operating conditions when selecting flexible maintenance. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil and Castrol® 0W-20 Oil are required to achieve optimum calculation performance.

I think the maintenance monitor on your CX-5 has been configured for the flexible schedule, as described in the last paragraph. It would explain why you aren't getting oil change reminders - according to the onboard computer, engine operating conditions never deteriorate to the point where a warning is necessary because you've been changing the oil at a regular interval.

You have me confused. You are waiting on a maintenance light to indicate when to change the oil? Does your vehicle have a maintenance minder and have it set properly? The normal oil change is 7,500 miles or one year maximum. Change the oil NOW and then find out what is not set correctly. Ed

You have me confused. You are waiting on a maintenance light to indicate when to change the oil? Does your vehicle have a maintenance minder and have it set properly? The normal oil change is 7,500 miles or one year maximum. Change the oil NOW and then find out what is not set correctly. Ed
Manual states 12 mo/10k mi for the flexible schedule, whichever comes first. If you're on the fixed schedule, it's 6 mo/7.5k mi.

Last edited:
⋯ Anyway, so the owners guide said the oil should be changed every 10k or once a year.
For 2016 CX-5, the “Fixed” OCI is 7,500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. If you turn on the “Flexible” OCI, it’s UP to either 10,000 miles or 12 months from on-board computer calculation based on your driving habit, but most likely you’ll get a wrench indicator and “Oil change due” notification either around 7,500 miles or 12 months with minimum miles. Check your owner’s manual again for details.

Around July, when I hit the 100k mark, I was curious why the check engine/oil change indicator light never came on, since it was well over 10k. I am now at the 111k mile mark, and no indicator light. I guess my question is: do I have a broken indicator light? I mean all the warning lights do turn on when I start the car. Being a Sport model I seem to be limited to what I can do with the buttons. A In a couple weeks I am driving from Arkansas to Arizona and back, figured i'd get an oil change before I left. But, the lack of a light is vexing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Now at 111K miles, are you saying you haven’t changed the oil on you CX-5 since you bought the car at 83K miles? :unsure: And what do you mean by “check engine/oil change indicator light never came on“? If you’re talking about a notification for oil change, either Fixed or Flexible, you have to turn the service on via Maintenance Monitor from Infotainment screen. And there’s no check engine/oil change indicator light but a wrench indicator with a notification message on the upper right instrument pod. Even that, your PCM needs to be updated as there’re bugs in the software for Maintenance Monitor on oil change schedule, and thers’s a TSB for the problem.

I changed it at 100k.

I dont have an " Infotainment screen"

Yeah, I am looking at the book, and it's prob set to Flex.

I am commenting that I never got a "wrench indicator and “Oil change due” notification" when I changed the oil the 1st time in July and I had gone well over the 10k miles.

Last edited:
Manual states 12 mo/10k mi for the flexible schedule, whichever comes first. If you're on the fixed schedule, it's 12 mo/7.5k mi.
No, for 2016 CX-5, in normal driving conditions with Schedule 1, you can use either Flexible OCI which can be UP to 10,000 miles or 12 months, or Fixed OCI which is 7,500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. In severe driving conditions with Schedule 2, you can use either Flexible OCI (maximum 10,000 miles or 12 months) waiting for wrench indicator, or Fixed OCI which is 5,000 miles or 4 months whichever comes first.

No, for 2016 CX-5, in normal driving conditions with Schedule 1, you can use either Flexible OCI which can be UP to 10,000 miles or 12 months, or Fixed OCI which is 7,500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. In severe driving conditions with Schedule 2, you can use either Flexible OCI (maximum 10,000 miles or 12 months) waiting for wrench indicator, or Fixed OCI which is 5,000 miles or 4 months whichever comes first.

Corrected to 6 months, thanks.

I changed it at 100k.

I dont have an " Infotainment screen"

Yeah, I am looking at the book, and it's prob set to Flex.

I am commenting that I never got a "wrench indicator and “Oil change due” notification" when I changed the oil the 1st time in July and I had gone well over the 10k miles.
So you have a 2016 CX-5 Sport which has no infotainment screen. This means you have a Type A Maintenance Monitor instead of Type B with infotainment screen. In this case you have to have Mazda dealer to turn the Maintenance Monitor on with Mazda computer, as apparently the feature got turned off by Mazda dealer at beginning. Remember you want to update the PCM if you want the Maintenance Monitor on. See page 6-20 in your owner's manual for details. Stick with 7,500-mile / 6-month Fixed OCI if you don’t want Maintenance Monitor to be turned on.

You changed oil at 100,000 miles from 83,000 miles when you purchased it (and you didn’t know when the oil was changed before that) which is at least 17,000 miles for you first oil change?! Even if you’d changed oil at 100,000 miles, your oil is long over due at 111,000 miles based on Mazda’s recommendation.

So you have a 2016 CX-5 Sport which has no infotainment screen. This means you have a Type A Maintenance Monitor instead of Type B with infotainment screen. In this case you have to have Mazda dealer to turn the Maintenance Monitor on with Mazda computer, as apparently the feature got turned off by Mazda dealer at beginning. Remember you want to update the PCM if you want the Maintenance Monitor on. See page 6-20 in your owner's manual for details. Stick with 7,500-mile / 6-month Fixed OCI if you don’t want Maintenance Monitor to be turned on.

You changed oil at 100,000 miles from 83,000 miles when you purchased it (and you didn’t know when the oil was changed before that) which is at least 17,000 miles for you first oil change?! Even if you’d changed oil at 100,000 miles, your oil is long over due at 111,000 miles based on Mazda’s recommendation.
Yeah, it's on my list of things to do this weekend. I called the local dealer in Little Rock and they told me to come in.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's on my list of things to do this weekend. I called the local dealer in Little Rock and they told me to come in.
Make sure telling the dealer to update the PCM per this TSB:

Engine Oil Flexible Maintenance Does not Work – 2014-2016 Mazda

There may be newer version of PCM firmware for 2016 CX-5 so check with your Mazda dealer. And your 2016 CX-5 Sport has a 2.0L if it’s a 6-speed manual transmission.

2016 https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)Emissionshttps://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)DriveFile NameNote
2.0LCalifM/T2WDPS32-188K2-CMitsubishi
PS39-188K2-CDenso
A/T2WDPS33-188K2-CMitsubishi
PS40-188K2-CDenso
4WDPS34-188K2-CMitsubishi
PS41-188K2-CDenso
FedM/T2WDPS35-188K2-CMitsubishi
PS42-188K2-CDenso
A/T2WDPS36-188K2-CMitsubishi
PS43-188K2-CDenso
4WDPS37-188K2-CMitsubishi
PS44-188K2-CDenso
2.5LCalifA/T2WDPYAJ-188K2-CMitsubishi
PYAR-188K2-CDenso
4WDPYAK-188K2-BMitsubishi
PYAS-188K2-BDenso
FedA/T2WDPYAL-188K2-BMitsubishi
PYAT-188K2-BDenso
4WDPYAM-188K2-CMitsubishi
PYAV-188K2-CDenso

Last edited:
As a relatively new member on this site, I gotta give some applause to the experts who hang out here and give good, straightforward advice about out vehicles’ complexities without becoming preachy. I’ve owned a lot of vehicles and frequented a lot of forums and this site is one of the very best.

- Mark

So, I went to 2 different Dealerships in Little Rock this morning. Apparently, I have the most basic of basic CX-5's, because they I don't have an oil change light/maintenance monitor system. I still think it's weird I got wrench light that turns on when I turn on the car.

So, I went to 2 different Dealerships in Little Rock this morning. Apparently, I have the most basic of basic CX-5's, because they I don't have an oil change light/maintenance monitor system. I still think it's weird I got wrench light that turns on when I turn on the car.
I believe you do have “Type A” Maintenance Monitor in your 2016 CX-5 Sport like the owner’s manual says. And I believe Type A Maintenance Monitor uses trip odometer switch stick to control the info once you’ve turned it on. If you really want the oil change due minder, you can contact Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations to seek more info on Maintenance Monitor for your CX-5. In the mean time you can stick with Fixed OCI with 7,500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first.

I believe you do have “Type A” Maintenance Monitor in your 2016 CX-5 Sport like the owner’s manual says. And I believe Type A Maintenance Monitor uses trip odometer switch stick to control the info once you’ve turned it on. If you really want the oil change due minder, you can contact Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations to seek more info on Maintenance Monitor for your CX-5. In the mean time you can stick with Fixed OCI with 7,500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first.
I spoke to a Mazda Rep off the Website. He basically read the guide and told me what you guy's told me and what I have already read. But, had no idea why I cant use it or reset it and told me to go to a Dealership. So...yay!

Edit-A 2nd Mazda Rep is "researching" the issue and will get back to me

Last edited:
I'm on my 2nd CX-5 and don't use the flexible setting. Both of mine would show 60% to 65% oil life remaining at 10k miles. But, since 10k is the "limit" there is no point in using it. If you're willing, set the system to manual and the distance to 10k. Since mine is now over 60k, I'll probably switch to 10k (with synthetic oil).

I'm on my 2nd CX-5 and don't use the flexible setting. Both of mine would show 60% to 65% oil life remaining at 10k miles. But, since 10k is the "limit" there is no point in using it. If you're willing, set the system to manual and the distance to 10k. Since mine is now over 60k, I'll probably switch to 10k (with synthetic oil).
I already do that..I was just curious to the feature. I got my oil changed today :)

If the Flexible setting for oil change in maintenance monitor on your 2016.5 CX-5 won’t display the wrench indicator with “Oil change due” message and displays unreasonable 60~65% oil life remaining at 10,000 miles, your PCM needs to be updated. See the TSB above. After the PCM update, my oil life would display 30% at 5K ~ 6K miles and I usually change my oil at 30% oil life remaining. With pandemic this year where we don’t drive the CX-5 much and it’s been ~11 months and 2,500 miles since last oil change, the oil life remaining with Flexible setting is now down to 10%.

My '16.5 is outside of the VIN range. The oil monitor works, it just doesn't "time out" anywhere near 10k miles. I had attributed it to driving style. My old and thankfully departed Colorado would also go past 10k miles some times.

My '16.5 is outside of the VIN range. The oil monitor works, it just doesn't "time out" anywhere near 10k miles. I had attributed it to driving style. My old and thankfully departed Colorado would also go past 10k miles some times.
Yeah but 60 ~ 65% oil life remaining at 10K miles doesn’t make sense to me from my experience using the oil life monitor on CX-5. And one of the fixes in the TSB is the oil life monitor won’t "time out" at 10K miles. These makes me believe your PCM is having the same bugs and needs to be updated. That TSB 01-019/15 is issued on 08/06/2015 and the VIN range may not be up to date. The only way to verify is the PCM version listed in the TSB table.

DESCRIPTION

Some customer using “Flexible” setting for Oil Change in the maintenance monitor may notice that the oil change due notification will not work because of improper control logic of the https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). This TSB is applicable for the following cases.

• The oil change due notification does not come on, even after mileage exceeded 10,000 miles.
  • Oil life in the center display is still less than 40% even though the mileage exceeded 7,000 miles.”
My Flexible oil change monitor was also having problems of resetting and random display of percentage on oil life remaining after a reset. All of those weird problems were fixed after the PCM update.

Back