Winter driving

Interesting.

So what kind of snow have you driven in (dry & powdery, wet & slushy)?
How deep?

All kinds. I live in Toronto, and we've had freezing rain, pellets, slushy snow, and I've driven on unplowed roads about 25cm's worth (about 9-10" worth).

I mean, keep in mind - I drive carefully. I slow down, I take corners slowly, and I don't drive the crap out of the car just because I have AWD.

I will tell you, the first snow we had was about 10cm (4 inches) and I was pleasantly surprised just how well the car handled!

I find that a lot of people either A) do not know how to drive in snow or B) think they're a better driver than everyone else, and they do not adjust to the conditions. Just because the car is CAPABLE of more, doesn't mean you SHOULD to more in snow!

(Just a general comment, not directed at you :) )

I find that a lot of people either A) do not know how to drive in snow or B) think they're a better driver than everyone else, and they do not adjust to the conditions. Just because the car is CAPABLE of more, doesn't mean you SHOULD to more in snow!

(Just a general comment, not directed at you :) )

I have to laugh.

I lived outside of Washington DC for nearly 50 years. The slightest snow (<2") would turn 45 minute commutes into 8 hour nightmares, with cars abandoned at roadside overnight.

Those of us who try to drive safely are overwhelmed by "important" people who are better than some silly snow...and better than all those other drivers who are in their way.

You always hoped for it to snow enough for the Federal government to be closed...then you could safely navigate your way in, because 90% of the drivers stayed at home.

I have to laugh.

I lived outside of Washington DC for nearly 50 years. The slightest snow (<2") would turn 45 minute commutes into 8 hour nightmares, with cars abandoned at roadside overnight.

Those of us who try to drive safely are overwhelmed by "important" people who are better than some silly snow...and better than all those other drivers who are in their way.

You always hoped for it to snow enough for the Federal government to be closed...then you could safely navigate your way in, because 90% of the drivers stayed at home.

I'm glad to see that what you describe is universal - that happens here too. LOL. My 45 minute commute will take 2-3 hours in a snow event.

I ALWAYS laugh at the Jeep's and Durango's I see in the ditch that blew past me on the highway a few km down the road. .. Just because your car is fast and powerful, doesn't mean it isn't affected by the laws of gravity physics.. LOL

I'm glad I live in the country.
Common sense is actually common.

If there's a tree down across the road, there's always someone with a chain saw and tow ropes to just take care of it. And those of us who drive upon the scene get out and help. Then we're all on our way, having just met someone new.

understeer is from suspension setup, not drive train
It is, most definitely from both especially on low grip surfaces where weight distribution also has a huge impact. OP- just get yourself a decent set of winters if you need to be out in it or if you really don't want to switch- some all weather with mtn snowflake that you can run all year but switching is better and worth it imo! That oversteer though, its to be enjoyed, not feared! You'll get used it but the oe tires do suck in snow

Check tire pressure as well. When I took delivery of my CX-9, tire pressures were at or above the maximum PSI rating, but I had no idea. When snow started falling, I noticed that I was sliding around much more than I thought I should be, and after some research I found that the PDI tech didn't adjust PSI before delivery. Once the tires had been adjusted to the recommended PSI, the car behaved just fine.

I also experienced this. Door jamb says 35 psi and the dealer gave it to me at 39. A bit smoother of a drive since I adjusted it, but haven't had a chance to test the difference in snow yet.

I will also note, that the manual says to over-inflate by ~4.3psi when putting on snow tires, however these are the all-seasons, and should probably match factory spec.

I will also note, that the manual says to over-inflate by ~4.3psi when putting on snow tires, however these are the all-seasons, and should probably match factory spec.

That's interesting. One would think that higher pressure would reduce traction, but it might be because the cold snow would cause a loss of pressure. Or you want them fully inflated so chains don't shift.

But why would the vehicle manufacturer even mention this? I'd rely on what the tire manufacturer says.

That's interesting. One would think that higher pressure would reduce traction, but it might be because the cold snow would cause a loss of pressure. Or you want them fully inflated so chains don't shift.

But why would the vehicle manufacturer even mention this? I'd rely on what the tire manufacturer says.

Usually the tire pressure is determined based on what the suspension and weight of the car requires to uphold the right characteristics. I could put the same tires on a honda accord or the cx-5 (with the right rims) and theyd need very different PSI based on weight alone. Tires can usually accept PSI way higher than any car would require (upwards of 50).

My thought on the +4.3 recommendation is that maybe since snow tires are a softer rubber designed to squish more, you need more pressure to prevent deforming or wearing out the sidewall. Just a guess.

Usually the tire pressure is determined based on what the suspension and weight of the car requires to uphold the right characteristics. I could put the same tires on a honda accord or the cx-5 (with the right rims) and theyd need very different PSI based on weight alone. Tires can usually accept PSI way higher than any car would require (upwards of 50).

My thought on the +4.3 recommendation is that maybe since snow tires are a softer rubber designed to squish more, you need more pressure to prevent deforming or wearing out the sidewall. Just a guess.
Excellent points.

Now that you mention it, I wonder if those bulging sidewalls might present a clearance issue. And I love the exacting conversion they made to 4.3 PSI. I gotta get me a new gauge.

Back