Looking at new tires

Hey everyone. I have a 2019 CX-9 GT. I am not happy at all with the Bridgestone ecopias. Looking at replacing the tires with one of these three. Money doesn’t matter as I want a good set of tires.

Michelin LTX
Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus II
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus

Debating whether to keep stock size 255/50/20 or go just a tad wider which will give a tad extra sidewall and a little more grip to 265/50/20. I’m really curious on ones opinions on the tires. I’ve had the premier ltx on my last vehicle. Good tire. I see they changed the tread and it’s deeper. Any and all recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Did you check whether there is recall on your tires? I took delivery of mine on Jan 2nd. It came with Falken tires and shows up as to have tire recall. I am not sure whether the dealer fixed the recall before delivery, that’s why I got Falken? Will check in a month ones I receive the title.

Did you check whether there is recall on your tires? I took delivery of mine on Jan 2nd. It came with Falken tires and shows up as to have tire recall. I am not sure whether the dealer fixed the recall before delivery, that’s why I got Falken? Will check in a month ones I receive the title.
Thank you. I was told about the recall and that is for tread separations. I’m currently talking to the dealer and Mazda corporate and trying to see what they can do. These Bridgestone ecopias are horrible and down right scary to drive in any kind of snow. My wife has a little KIA Rio with worn tires and she has no problems in the snow where I was sliding around. Tire pressures and all are correct so dealer is doing what they can to work with me. They contacted me yesterday and told me they have their rep and Mazda corporate involved. They might put me in the new Michelin Premier LTX with different tread for no cost. Fingers crossed everything works out well.

We have been satisfied with the Pirelli Scorpions on our 2009 CX-9 FWD. About to wear out the second set. We get about 40K miles out of them. When driving a number of CX-9s prior to our purchase (used) we noticed a great deal of difference in stopping ability with different tires and the Scorpions were among the best. I don't think any had Michelilns, which are normally my go-to tire.

I would recommend the Michelin Premier LTX. They have awesome grip and perform great in the snow.
Thank you. I’m currently working with the dealer and Bridgestone to see what they will do. These factory Bridgestone ecopias should not be aloud to be sold in any area that sees temperatures below 40 degrees. Mazda safety team is looking into it as well. I referenced tire rack, Bridgestones website, and other website reviews that all back up how dangerous they are in snow and colder climates. Hopefully they will get it charged across the board. Bridgestone admitted that they are not the best tire when it gets cold as the compound gets really hard. Similar to a summer tire. It’s the eco compound they said that gives it the better gas mileage.

Do you currently have the Michelin premier ltx on your cx9? And if so is it the DT version?

I, too, have Falkens on my 2019 Signature.
Here is what I found about the Sumitomo Falken ZIEX CT50 A/S tire recall.

Thank you. I’m currently working with the dealer and Bridgestone to see what they will do. These factory Bridgestone ecopias should not be aloud to be sold in any area that sees temperatures below 40 degrees. Mazda safety team is looking into it as well. I referenced tire rack, Bridgestones website, and other website reviews that all back up how dangerous they are in snow and colder climates. Hopefully they will get it charged across the board. Bridgestone admitted that they are not the best tire when it gets cold as the compound gets really hard. Similar to a summer tire. It’s the eco compound they said that gives it the better gas mileage.

Do you currently have the Michelin premier ltx on your cx9? And if so is it the DT version?
Not sure, I got them in 2018. They replaced the O.E Falkens after 12,000. Those Falkens were not good, the compound was too hard.

Not sure, I got them in 2018. They replaced the O.E Falkens after 12,000. Those Falkens were not good, the compound was too hard.
Thank you. If you got them in 2018 it’s the regular tread. I was reading and Michelin updated their tread to make it deeper and last longer. I had the premier ltx on my last car a Murano and loved them.

Did the dealer at least help you on pricing as they only lasted 12,000 miles? I think Bridgestone is going to help me replace the tires. Not sure if I have to stay bridgestone but if I do I will put on the alenza plus and if not I’ll get the premier ltx. I’ll keep everyone updated.

Thank you. I was told about the recall and that is for tread separations. I’m currently talking to the dealer and Mazda corporate and trying to see what they can do. These Bridgestone ecopias are horrible and down right scary to drive in any kind of snow. My wife has a little KIA Rio with worn tires and she has no problems in the snow where I was sliding around. Tire pressures and all are correct so dealer is doing what they can to work with me. They contacted me yesterday and told me they have their rep and Mazda corporate involved. They might put me in the new Michelin Premier LTX with different tread for no cost. Fingers crossed everything works out well.
Michelin Premier LTX are one of the best tires. I had installed them on my Pathfinder years ago and drove like a tank on snow.

I have had at least 3-4 sets of Michelin Primacy on different vehicles (Enclave, Sienna, QX60) they are good driving wise but in each vehicle I experienced premature tread wear, and they are costly. I will probably avoid those when I have a choice.

I got a resolution from Bridgestone. They are having my local Firestone swap out the tires free of charge under the 90 day buy and try guarantee and only stipulation is to get a Bridgestone or Firestone tire which is fine as anything has to be better than the ecopias. They recommend Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus. I read some pretty good reviews of them. They will be putting them on Friday. I will let everyone know of my impressions of the tires.

I got a resolution from Bridgestone. They are having my local Firestone swap out the tires free of charge under the 90 day buy and try guarantee and only stipulation is to get a Bridgestone or Firestone tire which is fine as anything has to be better than the ecopias. They recommend Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus. I read some pretty good reviews of them. They will be putting them on Friday. I will let everyone know of my impressions of the tires.

Thanks for the intel. I am interested to hear what comes of this. In my experience, my local Firestone service has been downright HORRIBLE to me and a few relatives when I went in for tire service. YMMV

Thanks for the intel. I am interested to hear what comes of this. In my experience, my local Firestone service has been downright HORRIBLE to me and a few relatives when I went in for tire service. YMMV
Where are you located? My local Firestone’s I have very good rapport with and they treat me well. Maybe if I didn’t know them or have rapport it might be different.

Hey everyone! I had the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus put on yesterday.

First impression is they are a much stronger and robust tire. Weighs a little more too. They have a rim protector and a much thicker bead area. Seems to be well built.

So far I drove 90 miles in downpour rain and then some icy precipitation. Felt planted and car definitely handles better. Braking has improved big time. I’ll have pictures later to show everyone. So far I’m happy with them.

Last edited:
I took delivery of my 19 GT in August and loved the car. The Bridgestone Ecopias were fine in the summer / fall and we really didn't have much of a winter until late January / February. The first real snow fall we had (2-3 inches) sent me sideways into a curb at 10mph during a wide turn in the snow, messing up my rims... I came from a Dodge Charger which I also drove in the winter and I honestly felt safer and like I had more control in the snow than I did in my CX9 with the Bridgestone ecopias.

I have 4500 miles on my car and tires. I'm due for my first oil change at the dealer. Do you think there's any chance they'll work with me on replacement tires? These things are downright dangerous.

#1, be sure the tires' inflation pressures are correct. Follow the placard on the door jam. High pressures reduce traction.
#2, try a phone call with Mazda USA. https://www.mazdausa.com/contact-us
Be calm, be firm, be business-courteous. Decide what you want from them, and ask for it.

I took delivery of my 19 GT in August and loved the car. The Bridgestone Ecopias were fine in the summer / fall and we really didn't have much of a winter until late January / February. The first real snow fall we had (2-3 inches) sent me sideways into a curb at 10mph during a wide turn in the snow, messing up my rims... I came from a Dodge Charger which I also drove in the winter and I honestly felt safer and like I had more control in the snow than I did in my CX9 with the Bridgestone ecopias.

I have 4500 miles on my car and tires. I'm due for my first oil change at the dealer. Do you think there's any chance they'll work with me on replacement tires? These things are downright dangerous.
I would call Bridgestone directly. I have 470 miles on these Bridgestone Alenza Plus and am really enjoying them. The ecopias should not be aloud to be sold in the north east or any area that sees temperatures below 40 degrees.
What area are you from?

Also do yourself a favor. Get a tread depth gauge and measure all of the tires in 3 spots. This way you have stuff to use as if your tires are wearing even and this way you can let them know everything. What area are you from?

#1, be sure the tires' inflation pressures are correct. Follow the placard on the door jam. High pressures reduce traction.
#2, try a phone call with Mazda USA. https://www.mazdausa.com/contact-us
Be calm, be firm, be business-courteous. Decide what you want from them, and ask for it.

That's not a bad idea, I will give that a try. Tires are inflated correctly according to the door jam placard.

I would call Bridgestone directly. I have 470 miles on these Bridgestone Alenza Plus and am really enjoying them. The ecopias should not be aloud to be sold in the north east or any area that sees temperatures below 40 degrees.
What area are you from?

Calling Bridgestone directly might be a good route to go as well. Thank you.

Also do yourself a favor. Get a tread depth gauge and measure all of the tires in 3 spots. This way you have stuff to use as if your tires are wearing even and this way you can let them know everything. What area are you from?

Also a good idea, thank you. I am from the Chicago land area. Currently 7F outside and we got 5" of snow yesterday. My work friend asked me if I was intentionally trying to scare him when we went to lunch yesterday... I was driving as cautiously as possible. Another person here has a CX5 with some off brand tires and he has zero problems in the snow.

Sooo Bridgestone just said Sorry they were OEM equipment and we provide tires according to the manufacture's specifications. You were not the original purchaser of the tire, Mazda was so there's nothing we can do.

Mazda said wow, that's BS. Please bring the car in so we can document that there's nothing wrong with the vehicle, tire pressure is okay, etc, and then we'll try and reach out to Bridgestone for you. At least they were helpful!

Back