June Sales - USA

Mazda's USA powertrain warranty is also 5yr/60k, same as Honda/Toyota.

Better warranty is a matter of cost, calculated risk, just like ext warranty.

Warranty is not a big deal to me. If it's a quality product, I shouldn't ever have to use it and as such I don't want to pay for it.

Mazda's USA powertrain warranty is also 5yr/60k, same as Honda/Toyota.

Better warranty is a matter of cost, calculated risk, just like ext warranty.
Yes, Mazda's US powertrain warranty is 5 years / 60K miles, just like Toyota's and Honda's.

Last time I bought factory extended warranty was on my 1998 Honda CR-V. Of course I'd never used it and $1,500 extra is wasted. Now I prefer self-insured extended warranty, be wise doing the research and getting a very reliable vehicle, and doing proper maintenance with the best quality (OEM) parts and materials.

I don't think just extending the warranty is enough, but I think it could help. Mitsubishi has longer warranties like Kia/Hyundai and its not helping them. But Kia/Hyunda spend a lot of money on marketing and marketing that warranty specifically, and it completely changed their trajectory.

I would have enjoyed that longer bumper to bumper warranty when dealing with this stupid '16 DRL issue...

Warranty is not a big deal to me. If it's a quality product, I shouldn't ever have to use it and as such I don't want to pay for it.
Not a deciding factor for me either but if most people take 5 year loans it makes sense to me to warranty your car for that long.
Powertrain? Big deal. Schmowertrain. Raise your hand if you've ever replaced an engine or tranny in 5 years. There's a reason every car company offers that... They never (hardly ever) have issues with that.

Not a deciding factor for me either but if most people take 5 year loans it makes sense to me to warranty your car for that long.
Powertrain? Big deal. Schmowertrain. Raise your hand if you've ever replaced an engine or tranny in 5 years. There's a reason every car company offers that... They never (hardly ever) have issues with that.

Yeah, makes sense.

My co-worker was going to buy a CUV over one weekend.
He had Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4 in mind.
I told him to check out Mazda CX-5.
Guess what? He bought a CX-5.
He was not alone. I did the same to another co-worker... (Mazda should give me some commission)

That is problem with Mazda.
Lots of potential buyers do not put Mazda on their shopping list.

As someone who stumbled into the brand when I looked in 2018 and bought in 2019, I can tell you that the main problem compounding lack of market awareness is the absence of promotions. When I finally purchased my Reserve this March, the interest rate was 2.9% with scant discount. The only Mazda advertisements I see are for leasing specials. Meanwhile, Toyota and Honda were offering thousand$$$ off and 0% financing, along with commercials of balloon-filled showrooms. I was so angry that everyone else still had 0% financing with heavy discounts while Mazda jacked their rates up to 3% (had been 0% in 2018) and gave less than $1,000 in "incentives," I nearly went elsewhere.

Mazda does nothing to get people to visit their showrooms, and their showrooms are so few & far between that you mostly have to go out of your way specifically looking for one. The fact that the after-discount costs might be comparable is irrelevant when it comes to driving visitors to the dealerships. Everyone likes a deal.

I agree with you that once people get behind the wheel, they love it (that's what happened to me.) But I only happened to get behind the wheel because (a) I read of the CR-V oil dilution issue so walked away from Honda and (b) there happened to be a Mazda dealer next to my local Carmax...Mazda did nothing to get me into that showroom.

I think that Mazda intentionally manages things to stay just about the size they are.

Last edited:
I think that Mazda intentionally manages things to stay just about the size they are.
That would be an interesting business strategy.(uhm)

But you're right, Mazda acts like they just can't be bothered to try, almost as if the 'goodness' of their products would be enough.

That would be an interesting business strategy.(uhm)

But you're right, Mazda acts like they just can't be bothered to try, almost as if the 'goodness' of their products would be enough.

I know what you're saying, but I honestly don't believe they are interested in growing. If they were, one would see a much more aggressive business strategy. The only ads I ever see on tv are the leasing specials offered by my local dealer. So I just went and snagged their 2018 Financial Statement to see if they make a "Quality vs Quantity" statement looking forward.

Here's an extract: "In our most important market, the United States, we aim to create a sales network capable of selling 400,000 units per year by 2021. To that end, we will roll out marketing strategies that address market characteristics and increase the number of new-generation branded dealers in an effort to improve customer retention rates and increase sales volume per dealer."

Looks like I was wrong about growth intentions, at least as far as their public statements are concerned. But I've worked for the Japanese. They are deliberate, but they are very slow. No one takes risks. Magically, decisions "get made."

I don't know if you've got a head for figures, but their historical financials are interesting. Sales have increased every year since 2015 (2019 is up 16% over 2015), while net income has steadily declined (2019 is down 60% from 2015). No single cause jumps out. Their stock price reflects the profit decline.

Since I'm rambling about marketing, here is their 2030 vision:
"In August 2017, we announced 'Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030,' a new longterm vision for technology development. Based on our Corporate Vision, this new long-term vision aims to resolve issues facing people, the earth, and society through the utilization of driving pleasure, which represents the fundamental appeal of the automobile. Going forward, we hope to create a future in which people, the earth, and society can coexist with cars, to enrich people's lives through a car ownership experience that celebrates driving, and to become a brand with which customers feel a strong emotional connection."

Sounds like Bob Marley wrote it.

Last edited:
I don't know if you've got a head for figures, but their historical financials are interesting. Sales have increased every year since 2015 (2019 is up 16% over 2015), while net income has steadily declined (2019 is down 60% from 2015). No single cause jumps out. Their stock price reflects the profit decline.
That's ominous.

"In August 2017, we announced 'Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030,' a new longterm vision for technology development. Based on our Corporate Vision, this new long-term vision aims to resolve issues facing people, the earth, and society through the utilization of driving pleasure, which represents the fundamental appeal of the automobile. Going forward, we hope to create a future in which people, the earth, and society can coexist with cars, to enrich people's lives through a car ownership experience that celebrates driving, and to become a brand with which customers feel a strong emotional connection."

That's hilarious.
Some people feel that way, but I bet most think transportation is the fundamental appeal.

That's ominous.

That's hilarious.
Some people feel that way, but I bet most think transportation is the fundamental appeal.

You almost want to say "Bless their hearts."

But since Americans buy their cars based on the location of cup holders and taking their kids to where the trees talk to each other, one can hardly criticize the optimistic sentiment.

Since I'm rambling about marketing, here is their 2030 vision:

Except Bob Marley is sometimes more coherent .... (band)

Except Bob Marley is sometimes more coherent .... (band)

Love the band emoticon.

Reminds me of those flexible records you used to get inside boxes of cereal.
Nothing says "Shure lived here" quite like Trix stuck on your tonearm.

Regarding the "Buy the world a Coke" diatribe from Mazda corporate...perhaps something got lost in translation.

We never sat in a Mazda until our daughter asked us to join her at a dealership visit for her first new car. The outcome was we were impressed with the CX-5. Several months later we waited for an end of year Dec 31 dealer visit and got a new 2018 for the same price we had negotiated for a leftover 2017. A year and a half later and we are now retiring a Subaru 1999 to add a second CX-5. Hope the cars stand up over time like our Subarus have for years.

Always found it interesting that a household has two of the exact same cars. Really speaks volumes on how good a car must be.

And how many of us can remember the old commercials. A stick shift Mazda, Zoom Zoom playin'....

They haven't figured out how to portray their new image they want.

It's been 30 years and I still have Toyota's two jingles to heart. "Who could ask for anything more from" and "I love what you do for me" come to mind. Right up there with "like a rock".

It was dead on impact, like the diesel, oh wait, its dead even before arrival.
They need an electric option, No one wants to ROLL COAL!!!! anymore (unless your into that).

Shame, all the money put into a diesel engine when those funds into electric would have really been much more beneficial to future sales.

Back