CX-5 Cylinder deactivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on the fence with buying a new CX-5. My question is can the cylinder deactivation be turned off or disabled? If the dealers start having issues can THEY disable it? I know that with my old Ram pickup you could do it with a tuner like Superchips

No unless you fiddle with the engine etc itself

Sure you'll be able to turn it off, even without tuning it. Range device plugs into the OBD port and keeps the engine in all-cylinder mode at all times. Folks at Range usually pick up new CD systems rather quickly, if they don't already support Mazda.
Before the dealer visit you unplug it, and that's it.
However, you should realize that mechanically '18 is still more complex then '17, even if it runs in 4-cyl mode at all times.

Sure you'll be able to turn it off, even without tuning it. Range device plugs into the OBD port and keeps the engine in all-cylinder mode at all times. Folks at Range usually pick up new CD systems rather quickly, if they don't already support Mazda.
However, you should realize that mechanically '18 is still more complex then '17, even if it runs in 4-cyl mode at all times.

In your last paragraph are you still referring to the cylinder deactivation mechanics or something more?

Great idea but they only do GM. There are many others that have had CD for years they dont support. So I do not see them picking up Mazda anytime soon.

Because you never had a vehicle with CD and had problems. I have and do not want to go through it again. Especially for something as dumb as putting it on a 4cyl to save 1mpg

Same here. If it is that bad, Mazda wouldn't have/be introducing it
Right, only GM, Chrysler and some others do otherwise. But Mazda can't do nothing wrong. bad infotainment system, remote start system and it's logic and other electronic quirks are all good for the customer.
Great idea but they only do GM. There are many others that have had CD for years they dont support. So I do not see them picking up Mazda anytime soon.
Gee, never thought of that. For some reason I thought they did, must be confused them with Diablosport. That's what I have... Sorry for confusion folks, nothing to see here!

Last edited:
Right, only GM, Chrysler and some others do otherwise. But Mazda can't do nothing wrong. bad infotainment system, remote start system and it's logic and other electronic quirks are all good for the customer.

Not saying they don't make mistakes. Remote start is a fail. Infortainment system is not really that bad but not up to others standards. Don't know what other electronic quirks you are referring to.

But as I have mentioned previously, if they know all the previous issues and they still release CD, they are stupid and with all the law suits, penalties etc, they won't be an independent car maker anymore.

Last edited:
CD is a deal breaker for me. I have had too many issues with the truck I had with CD. Last week we traded my Lincoln MKX on a 2018 CX-9 GT for my wife. I am driving her car now 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0t turbo AWD. While we were buying the CX-9 the manager said he would make me a sweet deal on the 2018 CX-5 they had in the showroom. When I discovered the CD I told him it would have to be a 17' for me to do something. Sucks because I am probably gonna spend the same amount of money on the 17. If the deal is not good, I'm just gonna keep the Santa Fe (we have had it since new)

CD is a deal breaker for me. I have had too many issues with the truck I had with CD. Last week we traded my Lincoln MKX on a 2018 CX-9 GT for my wife. I am driving her car now 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe turbo AWD. While we were buying the CX-9 the manager said he would make me a sweet deal on the 2018 CX-5 they had in the showroom. When I discovered the CD I told him it would have to be a 17' for me to do something. Sucks because I am probably gonna spend the same amount of money on the 17. If the deal is not good, I'm just gonna keep the Santa Fe (we have had it since new)

Pretty much all 2.5L NA models will have it. 6, CX-5 and give it time the 3

Pretty much all 2.5L NA models will have it. 6, CX-5 and give it time the 3

If I buy a 2018. But if he finds me a 2017 Grand Select in the color I want......no CD

It will be a disaster like Honda's CVT
Yup, Had an issue with that too on a 2013 Accord. Theres a reason Honda went back to a regular transmission in 2018 Accord,

I know exactly how it works. I sold lots of Chevy's with CD over the last 5 years also. The issues they had initially were with engines from a decade ago
You mean, four years, right? 2014 is the last year of NNBS SUVs of the era, I have one. So not that ancient at all. The 2014+ pickups/2015+ SUVs are too new to develop the issue we're talking about. However, there are already discussions on the GM forums.

You mean, four years, right? 2014 is the last year of NNBS SUVs of the era, I have one. So not that ancient at all. The 2014+ pickups/2015+ SUVs are too new to develop the issue we're talking about. However, there are already discussions on the GM forums.

No, the previous gen Silverado, Tahoe, and Suburban all had cd before the Ecotech 3 that came with the 2014/15 redesigns. The ones you hear about having issues were from the mid to late 2000s. And there are tons of GM truck and SUV drivers who are over 100k miles already on the 2014+ engines. I'm sure some people may have had problems with newer cd engines but not at a greater rate than any other engine component

If I buy a 2018. But if he finds me a 2017 Grand Select in the color I want......no CD

It will be a disaster like Honda's CVT
Yup, Had an issue with that too on a 2013 Accord. Theres a reason Honda went back to a regular transmission in 2018 Accord,
We shall see....

No, the previous gen Silverado, Tahoe, and Suburban all had cd before the Ecotech 3 that came with the 2014/15 redesigns. The ones you hear about having issues were from the mid to late 2000s. And there are tons of GM truck and SUV drivers who are over 100k miles already on the 2014+ engines. I'm sure some people may have had problems with newer cd engines but not at a greater rate than any other engine component
No, we are talking about 2007-2014 Vortec engines in nnbs body. They all suffer from the issue, as much as even older LS-derrived engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back