Forward Radar Sensor and Snow...

Pipemajor

Hoot Mon!
:
Minnesota
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
Not compatible. Our first snow event of the season was a wet, wintery mix being driven by wind. Took the CX-5 to work but got a loud beep with a warning on the MID that the Forward Radar Sensor Blocked! about 4 miles into our commute. Affected the SBS, SCBS and MRCC/SAG functions.

Warning (without the beep) continued until almost at our destination when the snow started to taper off. Once I got to the parking lot the front license was caked with wet snow. I do worry about the recessed LED headlights as they don't crank out the heat which incandescents do. They were OK.

Heated steering is GREAT!!!

Put a little "awning" over the Mazda badge to keep snow off it.

Is this that same badge protruding out of the grill? Thought that long hood overhang would help (scratch)

It's not long enough:

2017-Peugot-3008-vs-Mazda-CX-5-22.jpg

Heated steering is GREAT!!!

Jealous... wish I had that in my CX. I had it in my '02 Maxima and have missed featured until I got my GX which has it. It sounds like CX now has many of the winter features like my GX including the wiper de-icers.

What are those abbreviations you list mean?

SBS = Smart Braking Support. Operates under certain conditions above 10mph. It is not a substitute for safe and attentive driving. Factors including movement and the shape of the object in front of the vehicle, weather and road conditions can all impact automatic brake control and collision warning. Available on CX-5 Touring with i-ACTIVESENSE package and standard on Grand Touring.

SCBS = Smart City Brake Support. Operates under certain low-speed conditions between about 2 and 18mph. It is not a substitute for safe and attentive driving. Factors including movement and the shape of the object in front of the vehicle, weather and road conditions can all impact automatic brake control and collision warning. Standard on all CX-5 trims.

MRCC/SAG = Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop and Go is not a substitute for safe and attentive driving. There are limitations to the range and detection of of the system. Driver action is required to resume MRCC with Stop & Go after a stop. Please refer to your Owner's Manual for further details. Available on CX-5 Touring with i-ACTIVESENSE package and standard on Grand Touring.

Last edited:
It’s been a while my had something similar happen on my Infiniti driving in snow. It’s radar cruise has a version of SBS that won’t fully stop car but will pre-load brake pressure for a panic stop if it detects a potential collision. They calll it Preview Braking.

It’s been a while my had something similar happen on my Infiniti driving in snow. It’s radar cruise has a version of SBS that won’t fully stop car but will pre-load brake pressure for a panic stop if it detects a potential collision. They calll it Preview Braking.

Next generation might be better

Back