2016-18 CX-9 Narrow Front Cabin

:
2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE
Hello all, I've been reading forum posts for a while trying to learn more about all sides of owning a new Mazda
CX-9.

After taking two 20-25 minute test drives of a 2017 CX-9 Signature, I was left with a great experience and like the vehicle overall.

However, the one thing that I've been debating is the legroom width in the front cabin.

I'm 6' 2".

On long trips, I like to cross my left leg under the right. During the interstate test drive, I noticed my left knee was leaning hard against the left door window control panel and I couldn't cross it.

My right knee was against some softer material and wasn't as bad but still narrower than I'm used to.

It may seem silly but thinking about dealing with this for many hours on long trips could be a deal breaker.

Was this an issue for anybody else? If so, did anybody out there adjust to this over time? Was this a deal breaker for anyone?

Thanks ahead of time.

Hello all, I've been reading forum posts for a while trying to learn more about all sides of owning a new Mazda
CX-9.

After taking two 20-25 minute test drives of a 2017 CX-9 Signature, I was left with a great experience and like the vehicle overall.

However, the one thing that I've been debating is the legroom width in the front cabin.

I'm 6' 2".

On long trips, I like to cross my left leg under the right. During the interstate test drive, I noticed my left knee was leaning hard against the left door window control panel and I couldn't cross it.

My right knee was against some softer material and wasn't as bad but still narrower than I'm used to.

It may seem silly but thinking about dealing with this for many hours on long trips could be a deal breaker.

Was this an issue for anybody else? If so, did anybody out there adjust to this over time? Was this a deal breaker for anyone?

Thanks ahead of time.

I am also 6'2, and find the much smaller and tighter cabin of the Mazda 6 sedan to be perfectly fine and spacious enough even for long trips.

I think you will be just fine.

I'm also 6'2. I was also concerned initially about this, but liked everything else so much decided to get th cx-9 anyways. I've taken it on many long trips and don't have any concerns with comfort. I actually sort of like having the center console to rest your knee on, provided it's on the soft padding. It's not perfect. The door is slightly uncomfortable, but I haven't found it much of an issue.

I completely agree. I don't really consider myself to be very tall (5'9") but the bony part on the side of my knee always seems to gravitate to the hard plastic on the door. I have to force myself to stretch out to avoid it. Same for my right knee and the center console, but not as big of an issue. I may need to play around with the seat height to see if that helps any.

I am 6' 2" as well and I am in my 3rd CX-9. We have taken many long trips including Indiana to Arizona and back twice, and have never had issues with roominess in the front. Been very happy with it!!

Thanks to those of you who have posted on this.

I realize no car is going to be well suited for all my needs.

If there's others out there that wish to comment on the narrow leg room issue, please chime in, it's appreciated.

Back