Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm here to fuel the fire. All Android phones (flagship quality not cheapo $99 phones) for the last few years can handle hands-free commands with no other apps installed as it's baked into the google assistant and google now. So whether you have an HTC u11, OnePlus, Motorola, Oppo, Huawei, Asus, or laggy overrated Samsung you should be able to say "okay google, call so and so", or "navigate to the staples center", or "call that disgusting kale juice place", to which Google will reply "which one?". ;)

And no, if you think you need a Samsung to take better photos then you're only fooling yourself. Just about all modern smartphones use Sony sensors and they're all on par with one another, which is why my friends who own iPhone 7's and Galaxy S8's always told me they loved my One Plus's camera. One of these days they'll learn that it's not the camera, but the person behind it.

Oh man, I hate to go more off topic but your statement is just not true(some of it). Software programming is sooo big now with these phones. That's the big difference between premium smartphones and cheaper ones. The cheaper ones still take nice photos but you cannot seriously tell me that cheaper phones take as good of photos as the top flagships. One+5 is a great example. A solid camera but still without a doubt, it struggles and fails to compete with the S8, U11, and even last years Pixel. They put so much effort into that camera, even the phones box that it comes in has camera advertisement plastered all over it. But it just cannot compete. Don't even get me started on low light photography. That's where the flagships really knocks off those cheaper handsets.

Passive aggressive? LOL You are the P-A one, my friend. I'm trying to legitimately ask you questions, and instead you lash out. You off handedly attack me every chance you get.
"Oh, you're just trying to make ACP look bad". No... I really wanted to know. I have no ACP experience. And that is very good to know. I hope AA works the same way.
Can we get past this and be fellow enthusiasts?

As for swearing... come on you were being kind of... I'll say rude. I admit, I love that I can ******* swear here. I've forumed a LOT in my life. I've never once seen one with ZERO swear filters. hahaha. Come on, man, I live in Ohio. We were rated #1 for states where people cuss. :D Seriously.
http://www.npr.org/2013/12/15/250727948/oh-my-ohio-five-states-named-most-likely-to-curse

I'm always in a good mood here, but yea... you last few posts here annoyed me a bit. Peace?

Another (legit) question. What's the Honda app in ACP? Is that like the (lame) Mazda app that I never open or is it something that interfaces with the car?

Last edited:
I picked up my CX-5 yesterday and while there's no 'proof' which I'm sure everyone would like the dealer did say he understood ACP / AA to be released soon. But no idea on date, but clearly it's being talked about internally by Mazda.

Where do I find this DRIVE app you mention?
I have a Moto G4 plus and think its great, but no drive app on it, nor can I find it on google play.

I know that, JHU8. Here's the thing... you probably CAN do much of what you think you cannot... right now. What phone do you have? I'll peg you as a Samsung guy? You can do almost all of that. Today. Without AA.

But the leads to a point I was TRYING to make back a page or 3 is: why must we demand this from car makers? To install radios that Google and Apple control?
Why do we put ZERO onus on the phone manufacturers to create these tools for us?

Motorola created a DRIVE app, that works perfectly as I described for text messaging. Part of this app, if you choose to enable it, is Voice Recognition. All the time. With any command word I want to use. (Currently using "AT MY COMMAND").
And it works every bit as good as Google Now. I can open maps, and get directions. I can send and respond to texts. Because of Motorola...not just Google... I can do almost everything you can with AA. And it works perfectly through the BT in my car.

Google finally enabled Google Now always on listening (as long as the device is plugged in).
Apple... ALSO... enabled "Ok Siri" Always on IF your plugged into power, as well.
Motorola's always works, plugged in or on battery. Samsung's voice assistant is rumoured to be able to do this, as well (if it ever gets released).

I want my infotainment. AND my handsfree world. My point is... I am already there.

Umm you can use the radio and CarPlay at the same time, what are you talking about? Not only can you use the radio with CarPlay, but you can download TuneIn(which is CarPlay compatible) and gain access to thousands of radio stations around the world. Not sure if you can use Android Auto with the radio as I own an IPhone but I don't know why you wouldn't be able to.

I know you're trying to nitpick and kind some kind of flaw/limitation with CarPlay, I guess you'll have to keep looking :)

No one's trying to nitpick ACP man. Like 7, I was genuinely curious how it worked too. No need to assume everyone here is just fighting you.

Thanks for the explanation and picture. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Another (legit) question. What's the Honda app in ACP? Is that like the (lame) Mazda app that I never open or is it something that interfaces with the car?

The Honda app is not actually an app it's a link back to the standard interface from Honda, then there'l be another icon or sub-menu on the honda app to take you back into ACP

I believe this is the app they're referring to. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.contextual.smartrules2&hl=en That's what I used when I had my moto x back in the day.
No, that's not it. Its not called Drive actually. I called it Drive for simplicity sake here, and because it goes into "Drive mode" when it connects to your BT. It does this automatically which is the killer feature. I used an LG for a short time and drive myself batshit crazy trying to find an app that does what it does as well as it does. That's the thing...nothing is as good. Every company should have a similar app.
Assist, which was also great, was replaced with an app called Moto. Should already be installed on your G4+. App looks like: see attach. Go in there. Click Voice. Set your launch phrase.

Thank me later. 😎
544a770cf5cea95042cd02507e4f8da5.jpg
7653e2bb441e3fce9baa1fe64628f442.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man, I hate to go more off topic but your statement is just not true(some of it). Software programming is sooo big now with these phones. That's the big difference between premium smartphones and cheaper ones. The cheaper ones still take nice photos but you cannot seriously tell me that cheaper phones take as good of photos as the top flagships. One+5 is a great example. A solid camera but still without a doubt, it struggles and fails to compete with the S8, U11, and even last years Pixel. They put so much effort into that camera, even the phones box that it comes in has camera advertisement plastered all over it. But it just cannot compete. Don't even get me started on low light photography. That's where the flagships really knocks off those cheaper handsets.

I stand by my words only because this "low-light" vampire phenomena is somehow a non-issue. Who shoots photos in absolute darkness other than tech review sites and vampires? Seems that these tech blogs have simply run out of things to talk about, and now they're all camera experts (rolls eyes). My old OP3 could hang with my daughters Iphone7 even in low light. Mind you I'm talking real world use, not shooting pictures in a dark basement of an Android statue to post on my interwebz so-called tech blog because real people don't use their cameras that way. For people wanting this insane low light performance that all the tech sites can't stop talking about, you really need to own a newer DSLR with a fast lens. Even a cheapo $300 DSLR with a kit lens will smoke a GS8. Also, I said flagships. The cheapo ones still use older/inferior camera sensors. Unless you're pixel peeping (which no normal person does) then they're all about the same. Buy a Samsung because it's what you like(which is totally cool), and not because it'll be able to give you better photos, because it wont. They'll only look prettier on that beautiful amoled screen. The other day I sent my friends a pic I grabbed during sunset while I was at the Westside Pavillion, and my friend replied with a pic from his S8 using the same available light and wow it was garbage. Id' post them but we're already so off topic so let me bring it back.

So yeah, lets get AA already! Oh, for those of you waiting I forgot that you can actually install the AA app and use it as a drivers aid app. It's kinda neat.

I stand by my words only because this "low-light" vampire phenomena is somehow a non-issue. Who shoots photos in absolute darkness other than tech review sites and vampires? Seems that these tech blogs have simply run out of things to talk about, and now they're all camera experts (rolls eyes). My old OP3 could hang with my daughters Iphone7 even in low light. Mind you I'm talking real world use, not shooting pictures in a dark basement of an Android statue to post on my interwebz so-called tech blog because real people don't use their cameras that way. For people wanting this insane low light performance that all the tech sites can't stop talking about, you really need to own a newer DSLR with a fast lens. Even a cheapo $300 DSLR with a kit lens will smoke a GS8. Also, I said flagships. The cheapo ones still use older/inferior camera sensors. Unless you're pixel peeping (which no normal person does) then they're all about the same. Buy a Samsung because it's what you like(which is totally cool), and not because it'll be able to give you better photos, because it wont. They'll only look prettier on that beautiful amoled screen. The other day I sent my friends a pic I grabbed during sunset while I was at the Westside Pavillion, and my friend replied with a pic from his S8 using the same available light and wow it was garbage. Id' post them but we're already so off topic so let me bring it back.

So yeah, lets get AA already! Oh, for those of you waiting I forgot that you can actually install the AA app and use it as a drivers aid app. It's kinda neat.

Do you leave your lights on in the house all the time at night or something? I am in low light all the time. I cannot believe you actually think low light means sitting in the dark. Low light can happen as the sun is setting. Why else do you think that's the big area these smartphones makers are trying to improve in with their cameras? It is logical because these smartphones are obviously limited with their sensor size because of size constraint. Your OP3, 5, etc cannot hold its own against the S8, Pixel, U11, and even the iphone7 once the sun starts setting. But for what the OP5 costs(well that point is slowly fading away which is why many people are criticizing it hard for its lackluster camera), its still a pretty good deal. If it was available for Verizon I'd probably get it.

Yeah the AA app has been mentioned a lot. It works pretty well for the most part but its unfortunately not the same experience.

Last edited:
Android does. Since Google is awesome and Apple sucks rocks, Google released a version of Android Auto that you can run on your phone. Optionally add a car dock and you're golden.
Apple has NOT released Apple Car Play as a stand alone app.

You can use BT, of course, and use your phone apps with an Apple, but that's just so dangerous because you need to touch your phone. Much safer if you only need to touch a bigger screen in your dash.
;)
Can you use the control commander on the center console to control the functions of the AA?

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Can you use the control commander on the center console to control the functions of the AA?

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk
I don't think so since it would not be tied to the infotainment screen at this point.

I'm betting Mazda will get the knob working with it. I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the delay.

I did come here to beat the dead horse that Mango keeps beating "Everyone wants AA / ACP."
I went to dinner with some friends tonight. 5 of us.
Chris drives a 2016 Subaru Legacy. His wife drives a 2015 Kia Sorento. 5th person, 2012 Malibu. Chris and Melanie both have iPhones. Have only ever owned iPhones. So I ask: do either of you have Apple Car Play? They both replied: "what's that?". Seriously. What's that?
I explained what it was...even showed them a pic. Chris says "I don't want that". Melanie says "Siri reads my text over BT, why would I need that?". My wife, iPhone user says: "and let's face it, Siri kind of sucks". Siri...kind of sucks. LOL
5th person also had never even heard of it.
Never. Even. Heard. Of. It.
But everybody wants it? Please. It is a vocal MINORITY that wants to turn thier cars into phones. Vocal, yes...so it seems more popular then it is. A small minority, nonetheless. 5 average Americans...one person (me) has even heard of it. Case rested.

I'm betting Mazda will get the knob working with it. I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the delay.

I did come here to beat the dead horse that Mango keeps beating "Everyone wants AA / ACP."
Chris drives a 2016 Subaru Legacy. His wife drives a 2015 Kia Sorento. 5th person, 2012 Malibu. Chris and Melanie both have iPhones. Have only ever owned iPhones. So I ask: do either of you have Apple Car Play? They both replied: "what's that?". Seriously. What's that?
I explained what it was...even showed them a pic. Chris says "I don't want that". Melanie says "Siri reads my text over BT, why would I need that?". My wife, iPhone user says: "and let's face it, Siri kind of sucks". Siri...kind of sucks. LOL
But everybody wants it? Please. It is a vocal MINORITY that wants to turn thier cars into phones. Vocal, yes...so it seems more popular then it is. A small minority, nonetheless. 5 average Americans...one person (me) has even heard of it. Case rested.

Perfect.

18% of potential car buyers want CarPlay/AA. That's higher than every other feature that is not standard in most vehicles. And if you want statistics on this which include how many people want CarPlay/AA in their next vehicle, satisfaction and recommendation ratings for existing CarPlay/AA users, go ahead and ask and ill post them.

Let's not act like people don't want CarPlay and AA just because 'Chris' and 'Melanie' have no idea what it is or how it works. Kinda silly to say that in a nearly 400 page thread where people are asking when it's coming. Just sayin...

Not acting like no one wants it I've said as much repeatedly. It's far from a majority, as you believe 18%? You make it sound like 60%. Case rested, man. Not sure why you put Chris and Melanie in quotes. Think I'm lying? Swear on my kid's life. They're real people. Even I was shocked. I didn't expect "never heard of it". Really? But Chris didn't watch 50 reviews, like I did. He always wanted a Subaru. He didn't watch hours of reviews, or research every model. He just went to the closest dealer. We, all of us posting here...us enthusiasts are the minority.

18% of potential car buyers want CarPlay/AA. That's higher than every other feature that is not standard in most vehicles. And if you want statistics on this which include how many people want CarPlay/AA in their next vehicle, satisfaction and recommendation ratings for existing CarPlay/AA users, go ahead and ask and ill post them.

Let's not act like people don't want CarPlay and AA just because 'Chris' and 'Melanie' have no idea what it is or how it works. Kinda silly to say that in a nearly 400 page thread where people are asking when it's coming. Just sayin...

Funny...IDGAF about CarPlay...anyone else?

I've had rental cars with it...BFD

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

82% of us agree, apparently. But there's a long thread about it on a car forum! Yea? And?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back