Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What pisses me off more than anything is Mazda was a partner to AA ever since it was announced. Years and years ago. Yet nothing still. If a bunch of hackers can get it running on Mazda Connect easily(with bugs of course to be expected), then Mazda should have no issues.

10,000% agree with this. That's pretty sad.
Didn't know Sammy has GNow issues.

nor do they want to download some 3rd party app
You don't download it. It's standard on every Motorola phone. Technically, I wouldn't call it 3rd party. It's a Moto app on a Moto phone.

to TRY and do what CarPlay/AA can do.

It doesn't try. It succeeds. Other then seeing the map on your main screen.
Where is the outcry for Apple to do something similar? No... make the car companies bend over...

Honestly curious, Mango: How does Apple Car Play Integrate with your Satellite Radio? Can you run, say Maps onscreen, and listen to Sat Radio?

Not to mention ongoing development for these 3rd party apps can be dropped at any time

No doubt. But Drive isn't going anywhere. It's been on Moto phones for 4 years now and is updated often.

People want to start their vehicles, plug in their phone and go.
Advantage: Motorola. You don't need to plug in. You just... get in your car and turn it on.
:D

Yeah, lets all go out and dump our IPhones and Galaxies and go get a Motorola instead!

*said no one ever*

Don't need to be an asshat about it.

I think 7 has the same Motorola as me (Droid Turbo 2, 7?). I'll take it over an iPhone any day. No experience with Samsung personally.

I'll agree that the integration to the infotainment screen would be nice. But a lot of those other functions? I have them already (though I don't use them, probably should check it out).

I think 7 has the same Motorola as me (Droid Turbo 2, 7?). I'll take it over an iPhone any day. No experience with Samsung personally.

I'll agree that the integration to the infotainment screen would be nice. But a lot of those other functions? I have them already.

Yeah Moto has some nice phones. They are just inferior in the camera department which is why I go to samsung. But I love moto and their stock android like approach. Pixel 2 will be the phone to have for sure.

I found this article online, not sure how accurate it is considering I can't find any other sources but it might offer some insight on why Mazda hasn't added CarPlay/AA Yet

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/242050-ford-toyota-sdl-apple-carplay-android-auto

Subaru and Mazda rank No. 9 and No. 17 in car sales. Subaru is starting to add Apple CarPlay (Android Auto is coming, they say), Mazda has not, yet — not until it aligns with the company’s philosophy, Mazda says. Together, the two add almost a million cars (2016 sales) to the numbers supporting SDL and bring the footprint of automakers behind SDL to 5.9 million sales out of 2016’s 17.5 million sales, or 34% of US sales.

Align with the company's philosophy? Wonder what that means? I honestly don't think it's a technical issue anymore as to why it's not available, and has more to do with Mazda not want Apple/Google software in their vehicles. One has to think that both Apple and Google would WANT to have their software added to the Mazda lineup, and would assist in whatever way they could to make that possible.

I'm here to fuel the fire. All Android phones (flagship quality not cheapo $99 phones) for the last few years can handle hands-free commands with no other apps installed as it's baked into the google assistant and google now. So whether you have an HTC u11, OnePlus, Motorola, Oppo, Huawei, Asus, or laggy overrated Samsung you should be able to say "okay google, call so and so", or "navigate to the staples center", or "call that disgusting kale juice place", to which Google will reply "which one?". ;)

And no, if you think you need a Samsung to take better photos then you're only fooling yourself. Just about all modern smartphones use Sony sensors and they're all on par with one another, which is why my friends who own iPhone 7's and Galaxy S8's always told me they loved my One Plus's camera. One of these days they'll learn that it's not the camera, but the person behind it.

Yeah, lets all go out and dump our IPhones and Galaxies and go get a Motorola instead!

*said no one ever*
As usual, you fixate on one part of what I said and ignore anything else I say that actually may have some merit to try and have an actual adult discussion.
#SoIntelligent I'm done trying to have a friendly discussion with you. It's pointless.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'll agree that the integration to the infotainment screen would be nice. But a lot of those other functions? I have them already (though I don't use them, probably should check it out).
Yea, man. Z2 Force comes out in, or is announced,in 2 weeks. Salivating....

Yea, man. Z2 Force comes out in, or is announced,in 2 weeks. Salivating....

Very nice.

I'm less of a phone geek. I'll keep this one till it doesn't work anymore now that my contract is up and Verizon doesn't seem to do those anymore. :D

Last edited:
And, of course, Mango didn't answer my question: does the radio work while running Car Play or AA. I don't know the answer but, I assume it doesn't. So you can't listen to your normal radio and run AA at the same time. That kind of sucks, no? Never even considered that until now. At least Google would let you use the Sirius App with AA. Apple would not. It's very locked down. But then you'd be using data. The way I'm using the phone in my car, it does work since it's all just Bluetooth.

I found this article online, not sure how accurate it is considering I can't find any other sources but it might offer some insight on why Mazda hasn't added CarPlay/AA Yet

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/242050-ford-toyota-sdl-apple-carplay-android-auto

Align with the company's philosophy? Wonder what that means? I honestly don't think it's a technical issue anymore as to why it's not available, and has more to do with Mazda not want Apple/Google software in their vehicles. One has to think that both Apple and Google would WANT to have their software added to the Mazda lineup, and would assist in whatever way they could to make that possible.

I suspect it has something to do with wanting to remake themselves as an upscale brand, and they consider the infotainment system to be a way to differentiate themselves from the more mainstream alternatives. The other car manufacturers don't like it either because it is a great equalizer - AA or CP in one brand looks the same as AA or CP in another brand, and aside from screen size you could potentially get the same infotainment experience in a $25k economy car as in a $50k luxury car. Not to mention they won't be able to up-sell you an expensive navigation option.

And no, if you think you need a Samsung to take better photos then you're only fooling yourself. Just about all modern smartphones use Sony sensors and they're all on par with one another, which is why my friends who own iPhone 7's and Galaxy S8's always told me they loved my One Plus's camera. One of these days they'll learn that it's not the camera, but the person behind it.

As always, a good photographer with a lame camera will get better results than a lame photographer with a good camera.

But we're not all photography geeks. If you're a regular person, and you do all your shooting in the default mode with auto everything, I think you'll find big differences between the cameras on different phones. Not so much due to the sensor but the software. Comparing the phones in our household (Sammy, Lumia, Sony, HTC), there are some big differences in low light performance and focus time in low light, white balance in artificial light, and sometimes exposure. And when blowing up the pictures you see some pretty big differences in the processing artifacts.

And, of course, Mango didn't answer my question: does the radio work while running Car Play or AA. I don't know the answer but, I assume it doesn't. So you can't listen to your normal radio and run AA at the same time. That kind of sucks, no? Never even considered that until now. At least Google would let you use the Sirius App with AA. Apple would not. It's very locked down. But then you'd be using data. The way I'm using the phone in my car, it does work since it's all just Bluetooth.

Of course that's what he did (rlaugh)

Yeah I wondered that as well. Do you then have to use a radio app on the phone with AA/ACP? Or can it run at the same time as your regular car radio?

Since you have ACP, how does that work Mango? (scratch)

Umm you can use the radio and CarPlay at the same time, what are you talking about? Not only can you use the radio with CarPlay, but you can download TuneIn(which is CarPlay compatible) and gain access to thousands of radio stations around the world. Not sure if you can use Android Auto with the radio as I own an IPhone but I don't know why you wouldn't be able to.

I know you're trying to nitpick and kind some kind of flaw/limitation with CarPlay, I guess you'll have to keep looking :)

Last edited:
Omg...lmao. No, asshole, I'm just trying to have an adult conversation with you. I honestly didn't know, so I asked you a question. Hello? What am I talking about?? I'm asking a simple question Which of course, you avoided. Ever since we had our falling out where you lied about me and tried to get me banned, you've continued to be a complete prick to me. Meanwhile, I forgave you and tried to treat you with respect but all I STILL get is s*** from you. What is your problem? Grow the **** up. I got past our rift...can you?

So, if you can be an adult for 10 seconds, can you give some details on how it works? Maybe take a photo? How do you know what station you are on if ACP takes over your screen? For the final time, I really am curious. Not trying to make ACP look bad.
/Edit/ Oh and I was genuinely curious if your connection issues cleared up. Not trying to be a prick. I hope it is working for you. You ignored that to because...you think I'm out to get you apparently.

Last edited:
That's good to know. Thanks for adding the picture.

Omg...lmao. No, asshole, I'm just trying to have an adult conversation with you. I honestly didn't know, so I asked you a question. Hello? What am I talking about?? I'm asking a simple question Which of course, you avoided. Ever since we had our falling out where you lied about me and tried to get me banned, you've continued to be a complete prick to me. Meanwhile, I forgave you and tried to treat you with respect but all I STILL get is s*** from you. What is your problem? Grow the **** up. I got past our rift...can you?

You really need to relax with all the passive-aggressive behavior. No need to start using words like '****', 'asshole', 'prick', etc...I didn't 'avoid' the question, nor do I believe you are 'out to get me'. I just don't listen to the radio and never bothered to try and use both until now.

So yes to answer your question, they both work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back