NEMOC Random BS Thread

Morning....

I believe they used an 86 for the movie. The hairdresser's car before the Miata. :)

Hey!

I finally got my refund for my duplicate flood insurance premium processed. While at it, I opened a new USAA credit card and going to transfer a balance over...0% for 12mos with a 10.9% after that. Might as well save a little of that hard earned cash over the next year.

Also got a quote back from my mechanic....~$365 to replace both rear strut mounts (parts + labor). Just trying to decide if I want the hassle of messing with the effed up DS one and afraid that one or both towers will be rusted to s*** once I/he gets in there. Looking back I kind of wish the insurance company would have totaled the car out after the 'curb incident'.

Looks like I will be in Uncasville, CT for about two weeks. I'm trying to score the weekend of Halloween off so I can hang out with some friends.

Selling my Thomspon oil filter relocation kit and my Fab9 CoP kit, each for $200 shipped, if any Miata owners are interested.

Hmmmm, you have me tempted with that relocation kit Mike. I've only changed the oil once on the Miata but what a PITA. The next time I was planning on removing the wheel for better access. Is it gen1 or gen2 and why selling?

Gen2, with the oil temp sender port.

Selling it for a combination of a few reasons. One, when i first installed it there was a faint weeping leak from the plug for that oil temp sender port. And I've never been able to remove the plug to fix it. (My FS threads for it disclose that). The plug just needs to be extracted and replaced/resealed.

Even if that was fixed though, I need that location in the engine bay for my windshield washer fluid bottle, from the FM2 conversion. And, the convinence factor isn't enough to make up for possible failure points added on track. It's a good kit but all in all, just not enough motivation to reinstall, and I could use the money more.

I've removed the wheel each oil change at this point, and play with various methods to catch the drips/streams of oil.

Since you are close, I'm willing to drop the price to $180 since we won't have to deal with shipping. No interest on it anywhere else yet.

Cool and thanks for the disclosure. I'll have to look into getting that plug fixed and what it would entail.

My first time changing the oil I tried making a 'bowl' out of aluminum foil. It worked pretty good at catching most of it but then ripped as I was trying to pull it out. (gah)

Well, you just don't make this any easier now do you. haha Def. interested and off to do some more research.

From my email to/from Thompson back when i found the leak

Mike,

It will be easier to fix this while you have it out of your car, so that’s a good thing. What you need is generally called an “Easy-Out” screw extractor. This is a tool that looks a little like a tap except that it has swirled ridges that twist the opposite direction. The way it works is you first drill a small hole in the plug. Then using a comparable sized Easy-Out you screw it in to that hole like you would a tap, except that it screws in in the opposite direction. When the easy-out tightens-up it un-screws the plug. You then have a nice clean threaded hole into which you can screw another plug, or a temp sender if you are installing an oil temp gauge.

Easy-out is a brand name, screw extractor is the generic name. You can find them at any place that sells tools; Home Depot, Lowe’s, local hardware store, and probably any auto parts store. These are handy tools to have in your tool box. Don’t need them very often but when you do they are indispensable.

Here’s what they look like:

You will of course need a new plug or a temp sender to screw back into the hole. Let me know if you want me to send you a new plug. You’ll also need thread sealant which can also be found an most auto parts stores (you want the high-temp version). You may still have some of this left from your original kit.

Understood. An extrator and replacement it is. Thanks.

1/8" NPT plug, right? Are these easily found? Or would I have to order one anyway? I have the timing belt, sway bar, bumper, radiator, alternator, etc... out right now, about to pull out the turbo and related exhaust stuff to fix a broken stud, figure I'll have the car apart through next weekend, and getting the relocation kit re-installed with everything out would be easiest given the location and less available space on an MSM.

Correct, 1/8” NPT. Should not be too difficult to find.

My only attempts to remove it have been with Allen keys, which promptly stripped the allen socket in the plug. I haven't tried any extractor, since I have zero experience with them and I don't want to destroy the kit trying.

Had a blast at the lapping day Sunday. Very nice course with lots of turns. New seat brackets worked great as I need the top up for lapping. So I had room for the helmet with the top up.

Spending the weekend getting the rig ready to move Sunday. Will be in the new location till Oct 15 and then will head south.

My only attempts to remove it have been with Allen keys, which promptly stripped the allen socket in the plug. I haven't tried any extractor, since I have zero experience with them and I don't want to destroy the kit trying.

I've used them a couple of times. Make sure the hole you drill is deep enough for the extractor

Nice, how hard is it to find parts?

Not hard at all really. Got a few Saab friends that know quite a bit. Plus the Middleboro Auto Salavage is great, found a few bits and pieces I was missing from the car. Payed $1 for them. LOL!

I really miss the ol' gang. We had such great times.

From my email to/from Thompson back when i found the leak. My only attempts to remove it have been with Allen keys, which promptly stripped the allen socket in the plug. I haven't tried any extractor, since I have zero experience with them and I don't want to destroy the kit trying.

Thanks for the insight Haven't worked with extractors much myself.

Had a blast at the lapping day Sunday. Very nice course with lots of turns. New seat brackets worked great as I need the top up for lapping. So I had room for the helmet with the top up.

Spending the weekend getting the rig ready to move Sunday. Will be in the new location till Oct 15 and then will head south.

Nice Bruce! Yeah, that time of year already. Leaves are starting to change and it's getting brisk outside. On the bright side, chicken & dumplings, chili and taco soup will become staples on the dinner menu. :)

I've used them a couple of times. Make sure the hole you drill is deep enough for the extractor

Noted. ;) But is it possible to drill too far?

Not hard at all really. Got a few Saab friends that know quite a bit. Plus the Middleboro Auto Salavage is great, found a few bits and pieces I was missing from the car. Payed $1 for them. LOL!

I really miss the ol' gang. We had such great times.

Oh wow! Not a bad deal at all. Too bad you couldn't find parts for the Protege5 like that in junkyards. Only thing I ever had any luck sourcing was an engine! Tried to get headlights, bumper markers, auto shift knob and a few other pieces over the years for it.

Yes, def had some good times and learned a few things along the way. Speaking of, when is the Fall Clean Meet at Mahk's new place?

I saw that but sadly my schedule and distance wouldn't allow me to meet up with you. Let me know when you get down into the Poconos, Central Jersey or Eastern PA. :) Unless of course I'm not scheduled to work anywhere. lol

Back