Any Complaints (hopefully all minor)

Rattle under front center speaker. :(

I am disappointed to say that after 4 hours of servicing at Mazda HQ service center, they couldn't fix the problem. I have identified the problem and it is a padding issue between the center of the dash with the chassis towards the windshield. Fixing this problem tends to require complete removal of the dashboard which is not acceptable on a brand new less than 1000 KM vehicle which I waited 6 months to get in OCTOBER.

More than that, today I discovered that a squeaking sound is coming from the rear of the car when going over bumps. This is very likely a bushing problem. Can be fixed with some lubes and teflon tape but this is starting to piss me off.

I think there is a problem with the drivers seat in my CX5. There is slight movement in the seat track or the seat somewhere. And makes a click and you can feel it. Anyone else had this issue?

Not the same problem, but I constantly have to re-adjust the back angle because it keeps reclining back on its own over time. I don't remember having this problem before the 1000-mile service.

I think I have the same problem. It seems like it comes from the area close to the in the middle of the dash. It rattles at startup when the engine is cold and running load and as I'm driving. If I press on the area while driving, I don't hear it.

Hot Pipes - Problem solved.. is a recall called for?

I attached a more zoomed out photo so you can see where I'm looking. This is passenger side under the dash. There's a plastic shield (outlined in yellow) that they put there to try to cover it up, but as you can see in the first photo, it doesn't cover them up at the back end where they run through the firewall.

View attachment 195326

Thanks Gaxibm, at least I know it's not just me. Yeah they obviously put the shield there in attempt to cover it, but as you say it's not extensive enough protection and it was hot enough that it could definitely hurt someone if they're unlucky enough to touch it.

Thanks Peskeguy and Gaxibm - I too had this problem (in CX-5 in a place far far away from you - in Israel), discovered when my wife was barefoot and all of a sudden screamed that she got burned by the car. With a bit of persistence I managed to get the local dealer/importer to admit that this was a flaw in design and they got a part shipped from Japan to cover it. Earlier this week the fix was implemented. See attached picture. I really think this calls for a recall but I guess at the moment they are trying to keep it quiet... we know how well that worked for Toyota.
You guys played a role in me managing to get this fixed - so thank you all. good luck with yours, let us know how it goes. IMG_0470.JPGIMG_0468.JPGIMG_0470.JPGIMG_0468.JPG

Anyone else hearing a noisy door lock actuator on the passanger side front door when shutting the vehicle off? Its like a whining noise.

Anyone else hearing a noisy door lock actuator on the passanger side front door when shutting the vehicle off? Its like a whining noise.

Sometimes I get a little squeak from door lock when driving (when it autolocks), might be temperature-related.

I get this all the time, on mine it is the rear passenger lock actuator. I had mentioned this back in the first month I bought the car. It still does it, will mention it to the dealer. I have my locks set to unlock when shutting the car off and I hear it at that point.

i don't know if i'm the only one, but when it rains and i drive with the radio off, it sounds like there is rain water trickling inside the door or capillaries....its just a little annoying. am i the only person?

i don't know if i'm the only one, but when it rains and i drive with the radio off, it sounds like there is rain water trickling inside the door or capillaries....its just a little annoying. am i the only person?

No rain yet in San Diego while driving..will keep an eye out

- No light in cargo space, meaning when I open the cargo at night I cannot see anything - total darkness. Don't know why Mazda didn't figure to throw in a light back there.

- Rattle in center dash/center front speaker.

- Nav System has started acting up/freezing on me lately - Only owned car for 3 months.

Everything else has been great, just wish I could get better MPG. I'm at 30 MPG but I want to have that 35 avg I keep seeing on all these sites from other cx-5 owners.

- No light in cargo space, meaning when I open the cargo at night I cannot see anything - total darkness. Don't know why Mazda didn't figure to throw in a light back there.

- Nav System has started acting up/freezing on me lately - Only owned car for 3 months.

Everything else has been great, just wish I could get better MPG. I'm at 30 MPG but I want to have that 35 avg I keep seeing on all these sites from other cx-5 owners.

AS to the cargo light, you can turn the cargo area light on and it will go on/off as the hatch is opened and closed.

There is a light with on off switch in cargo area if you did not blow it by puttin in a LED that shorts it out.

There is a thread on a fix from Mazda for the rattle.

There is a thread in How To to update the Nav application and map to improve Nav and stop freezing and get your one time map update...

My CX-5 Touring AWD has a cargo light comes on whenever I open the rear hatch.

My CX-5 Touring AWD has a cargo light comes on whenever I open the rear hatch.

GT has this light in cargo area too.

Note: There is an on/off switch, if the switch is off, the light does not come on even when hatch is opened.

Last edited:
The front pillars (the huge beams to the left and right of windshield) Does anyone else think these things are just a tad too wide? the other day I'm making a left turn. I look to the right no cars, look to the left no cars, look to the right real quick didn't see anything then as I went there's suddenly a car that appeared and blowing his horn like crazy on my passenger side, which I replied in a not so nice manner. But anyways when I went to the same intersection it looks like the guy came out of this little deli lot which is completely covered by the right side pillar.

Maybe these are federal regulations as my wife's 09 Civic had the same wide pillars. My truck and the Altima does not have them this wide. Just wondering if anyone else thought these were too wide and get in the way of seeing as well. Learned my lesson, definitely looking around these pillars from now on.

I mentioned this back in August, the weird pillars on the CX-5 are definitely much wider than many other (older) vehicles. These new safety regulations that the government enforces are making it more dangerous for day to day driving especially in urban settings.

The CX-5 roof pillars are normal for a safe compact SUV in 2012. Roof strength today is vastly superior in a vehicle like CX-5 versus similar vehicles 15+years ago. For example plenty of 1st gen Explorer occupants did not survive roof cave-ins after rollovers.

Back