Somewhat harsh shift into 5th...

CX-SV

Contributor
:
2013 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech (Mar'12-Jul'14)
Do other CX-5 auto tranny owners occasionally get a harsh downshift into 5th at speeds of 65+? I noticed it a few times at freeway speeds, otherwise it works fine.

Is the transmission in Manual or Auto mode when this happens???

Happens in automatic mode. Accelerating from a speed of 65+.

Sometimes I get a smooth downshift to 5th, sometimes I get a harsher downshift to 5th under conditions described above. Either way the shift is firm and positive, not really seeing a difference in conditions when the downshift occurs smoothly or when it occurs harshly.

Just curious if anybody else noticed this.

Last edited:
Are you certain its a downshift to 5th? Mine will skip 5th and go directly to 4th if I am asking for a fair amount of power. A slight power command gives me 5th and is far less noticeable.

Also, the rate at which the pedal is pressed appears to influence the transmission control module. If I quickly press a slight distance, I can get the transmission to downshift. If I slowly press the same distance to holds on to the current gear. Anyway, my point is that I think the inputs and algorithms used by the TCM are fairly complex....so something unnoticeable to you could be different between the smooth and harsh case and you just aren't observing it?

Are you certain its a downshift to 5th? Mine will skip 5th and go directly to 4th if I am asking for a fair amount of power. A slight power command gives me 5th and is far less noticeable.

Also, the rate at which the pedal is pressed appears to influence the transmission control module. If I quickly press a slight distance, I can get the transmission to downshift. If I slowly press the same distance to holds on to the current gear. Anyway, my point is that I think the inputs and algorithms used by the TCM are fairly complex....so something unnoticeable to you could be different between the smooth and harsh case and you just aren't observing it?

Yes, I'm sure it's a shift to 5th (not 4th), I can tell by tach, etc. I'm very familiar with 4th gear too. It's not the reving of the engine I'm talking about, it's the smoothness or harshness of the downshift to 5th.

It might be a subtle difference in how aggressively I hit the pedal when the harsher downshift occurs.

Sounds like nobody has experienced this so far. In CA we do tend to drive rather fast on the freeways, 75-80mph is very common with aggressive accelerations from time to time.

Last edited:
Do other CX-5 auto tranny owners occasionally get a harsh downshift into 5th at speeds of 65+? I noticed it a few times at freeway speeds, otherwise it works fine.
Experienced the same thing. If I am above 110kmh and want to say overtake someone, there is a harsh shift into 5th. Not sure if it is solely the transmission or a combination of the TCS and AWD torque kicking in.

Experienced the same thing. If I am above 110kmh and want to say overtake someone, there is a harsh shift into 5th. Not sure if it is solely the transmission or a combination of the TCS and AWD torque kicking in.

dasayheykid - Yes, that's what I've experienced. It's probably something that only aggressive drivers on high speed freeways would ever experience. It's probably not a problem, because the shift is fast and firm.

dasayheykid - Yes, that's what I've experienced. It's probably something that only aggressive drivers on high speed freeways would ever experience. It's probably not a problem, because the shift is fast and firm.
I agree, this has never happened with casual driving, only when I boot it. Plus, I tend to have a bit of a lead foot on the highway. (whistle)

I agree, this has never happened with casual driving, only when I boot it. Plus, I tend to have a bit of a lead foot on the highway. (whistle)

I suspect our driving styles are similar, lol.

I'll keep tabs on this downshift behavior, not that it's really that bad.

I suspect our driving styles are similar, lol.

I'll keep tabs on this downshift behavior, not that it's really that bad.
Yeah I'll do the same. Good to know i wasn't the only one who has experienced it, but like you said its not that bad.

It's harder for me to notice the shift you are all referring to. In overtaking in the Diesel at speeds of 110km/h a standard overtaking manoeuvre does NOT require a shift down.

BUT..... I do notice the same shift down from 6th to 4th when I am going downhill with cruise on.
The Cruise engine brakes to ensure speed is kept at 110km/h (which it does fairly effectively)

Overtaking though is a dream in the diesel. It makes my old Mazda 3 SP23 seem gutless.

At 110km/h - the Petrol and Diesel are obviously different beasts.

Petrol at 110km/h
rpm @ 110km/h (6th): approx 3000rpm
Torque @ 110km/h: approx 130Nm

Max Torque: 198 Nm @ 4,000 rpm (drop to 4th required to use it immediately)
Max Power: 113 kW @ 6,000 rpm (drop to 4th required to use it immediately)

To overtake effectively, Petrol needs to drop to 4th.

Diesel at 110km/h
rpm @ 110km/h (6th): approx 2000rpm
Torque @ 110km/h (6th): 420Nm (which is max torque)

Diesel is less troublesome. No drop to 4th required.
To overtake, Diesel stays in 6th and overtakes with ease.

Being at 2000rpm as well, it is MUCH quieter when overtaking (albeit the turbo kicks in and that can be heard).

Last edited:
Yes, and the shift in question is the 6 to 5 regardless.

The noise level is not high ( a non-issue) when it kicks down to 5th.

Last edited:
If I set cruise at say 65mph and i start going downhill, the transmission will downshift into 5th to keep the speed at 65 without having to apply brakes.

Never felt particularly harsh to me yet. I will keep a close eye on it and see if anything changes.

If I set cruise at say 65mph and i start going downhill, the transmission will downshift into 5th to keep the speed at 65 without having to apply brakes.

Never felt particularly harsh to me yet. I will keep a close eye on it and see if anything changes.

What you're looking for is a slight jerk when you are at around 65mph, and then floor it. The jerk happens when the car downshifts from 6th to 5th, or possibly kicking in the AWD at such a speed.
Congrats on your purchase btw.

What you're looking for is a slight jerk when you are at around 65mph, and then floor it. The jerk happens when the car downshifts from 6th to 5th, or possibly kicking in the AWD at such a speed.
Congrats on your purchase btw.

Thanks!

Mine is FWD so I won't have any AWD issues to contend with, but i'll try gunning it at 65 and see if I get the same jerk. Are you sure you're not just being thrown back in your seat from the torque? ;-)

Not aware of any AWD issues that anyone is contending with.

Sometimes we do get a less smooth downshift from 6th to 5th at high speeds.

(lol, I'm sure my hair isn't blown back from g forces, it's just the way I comb it.)

btw - Congrats on new CX-5, post up a pic since it's a unique color.

image.jpg

and what people keep doing

The 5th gear downshift is smooth for me most of the time. However 6th to 4th or 5th to 4th is most often loud and clunky. And sometimes the trans decides it wants 3rd then has a violent clunk revs to 5k+ and then I have to let off cause the trans won't engage. This was during steep mountain driving situations and during freeway passing around 60 mph. It's not right. Going to the dealer this week. I'm not sure what they will do. Pry give me as designed bs. But mazda needs to know that something isn't right.

The 5th gear downshift is smooth for me most of the time. However 6th to 4th or 5th to 4th is most often loud and clunky. And sometimes the trans decides it wants 3rd then has a violent clunk revs to 5k+ and then I have to let off cause the trans won't engage. This was during steep mountain driving situations and during freeway passing around 60 mph. It's not right. Going to the dealer this week. I'm not sure what they will do. Pry give me as designed bs. But mazda needs to know that something isn't right.

One month later, what did dealer service say?

Back