Want a Manual Transmission? Hope you like Silver, Grey, and Black...

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
At first I was disappointed with only being able to get the M/T in the SPORT.

Now, I found out you can only get it in 3 colors... Silver, Grey, and Black...

Hope that you didn't want a COLOR
(deadhorse)

Last edited:
Like many manufacturers Mazda is optimizing their line-up to reduce manufacturing costs. Whether we like it or not the majority of people will buy AWD Automatics. I wish my 6 sGT was available with a manual but honestly the manumatic mode 90% makes up for it and allows me to choose fully automatic when I don't feel like zoom-zooming.

Yeah, it's disappointing but like Antonio said, it's about cost. Mazda doesn't have the money or ability to absorb things like, say, Toyota or Volkswagen.

Great article!

It really is sad that manual transmissions and roll up windows are dying from the same death. Both my wife and I drive stick shift. I bought the MS6 because it was the only decently priced AWD sedan that came with a stick shift. The only other option we had at the time was Subaru. 87,000 miles later, I still don't see a decent replacement for it.

I'm impressed that Mazda even offers the stick shift in the CX-5 but sadly I won't buy one. It would have been great for my wife had they packaged the stick with AWD. She'd even be happy with one of the 3 colors. Of course it's a bit late for us anyway since we just bought a 2012 Focus a few months ago.

One can only dream of an AWD Turbo Stick Shift Mazdaspeed CX-5. If that were to come out, I'd give up my Mazdaspeed6.

Learned today that the UK get manual across the whole range (and colours).
This would be typical of a country that in general, rejects the use of automatics.

Time to move?

Look in the CX-5 brochure, it does say a manual transmission is offered in other colors :) Maybe Mazda just hasn't had any hit the States yet. Be patient, the online portion is kind of off a little.

Look in the CX-5 brochure, it does say a manual transmission is offered in other colors :) Maybe Mazda just hasn't had any hit the States yet. Be patient, the online portion is kind of off a little.

It is too late, I already got the Pearl White 6speed AUTO...

I am not bitter anymore...(So glad I was able to swing the wife over to an automatic.)

You must have a different brochure than I do as my US market brochure just shows a breakdown of what paint colors and interior combonations are available in each submodel (SPORT, TOURING, GRAND TOURING).

Last edited:
You can't pick other colors on mazdausa.com build your own site. either the website is wrong or the brochure.

Hello Adam,

Thank you for contacting Mazda regarding the CX-5. We appreciate your interest in the CX-5. The manual transmission will only be available in the CX-5 Sport trim for the time being. The Bluetooth package will not be available in the sport trim. It will also only be available in black , silver and gray. This may change but please keep visiting www.mazdausa.com for updates. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you again for contacting Mazda.

James
Customer Assistance Representative
Mazda North American Operations
1-800-222-5500 ext 1161

It is too late, I already got the Pearl White 6speed AUTO...

I am not bitter anymore...(So glad I was able to swing the wife over to an automatic.)

You must have a different brochure than I do as my US market brochure just shows a breakdown of what paint colors and interior combonations are available in each submodel (SPORT, TOURING, GRAND TOURING).

Exactly. Page 13, bottom left corner under color combinations. The base model Mazda 3 is the same way, only available in 2 colors I think. Maybe it will just take time who knows. We're getting screwed with not having a manual trans in anything but a sport model, no diesel, and some other really cool features that different Markets are getting. Notice how you can't get any skyactiv models in a GT or Touring platform (Except skyativ 3 in touring) in a manual trans? I think its b/s too, and I've told Mazda that even when I work for them. I'm pissed I can't get a CWP GT in a manual trans :( Already pissed enough they keep pushing back the diesel model, hell, we may never see it.

Hello Adam,

Thank you for contacting Mazda regarding the CX-5. We appreciate your interest in the CX-5. The manual transmission will only be available in the CX-5 Sport trim for the time being. The Bluetooth package will not be available in the sport trim. It will also only be available in black , silver and gray. This may change but please keep visiting www.mazdausa.com for updates. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you again for contacting Mazda.

James
Customer Assistance Representative
Mazda North American Operations
1-800-222-5500 ext 1161

Hi James,

If you are willing to hear us, please note that there are many enthusiasts who want a manual transmission vehicle, even in a CUV. If the CX-5 is offered in more trims/colors, at least Touring, and including white, blue, and red (which, if you haven't noticed, is the color combination of American flag), you'll get many buyers who currently own Honda, BMW, and other products. CX-5 is a vehicle with very good design , powertrain, and chassis - what good is it if nobody can get the car with the choice they want? What good is it to get the journalists to Laguna Seca to show off the 6MT and then treat it as an afterthought for the actual consumer?

We all understand Mazda's need to save cost in production, but if you allow customers' to pre-order, then Mazda shouldn't have issues selling such rare models.

I want my CX-5 in 6MT in Touring trim (40/20/40 split seat is a must for me) and blue.
Thanks.

I was pretty bummed when I found the manual was only available in one trim level and not with AWD. When you consider that a Miata can be had with a manual in all trims, with a soft top or retractable hardtop, and Mazda will sell ten times as many CX-5s, the idea that it's a cost cutting measure sounds pretty lame. It comes down to the belief that Americans will not drive manuals in a vehicle of this type, despite Mazda's ad campaigns touting building cars worth driving that are not soccer mommy-mobiles.

A few years ago, Mazda offered to custom build your Miata on their website and have it shipped to the local dealer of your choice. The customer was offered a one of a kind car optioned the way he or she wanted it not chained to some trim level restrictions. Someone I knew took advantage of the offer and her car was delivered in about 8 weeks. Perhaps when the initial production rush slows down, Mazda will consider offering this custom option again on the CX-5. Unfortunately, I can't wait that long.

Once I got over the initial dismay of not getting the CX-5 I had hoped for, I realized that this might be a blessing in disguise. I am planning on retiring in June and I had fantasies of playing guitar and drinking beer for a large part of each day. This type of behavior might cause my wife to put rat poison in my food, since she thinks I should spend my retirement being a productive member of society.

Then I remembered how much fun I had modding our 1999 and 2001 Miatas. I would spend weekends in my garage adding all manor of aftermarket goodies while drinking beer and watching sports on my garage TV. I also concealed one of my cheapo guitars out there in case inspiration should strike. My spousal unit would periodically check to see that I was meeting her productivity standards. As long as it looked like I was keeping busy, she was happy.

So, I will sell my Honda CRZ commuter mobile, and buy a CX-5 in sport trim with a 6 speed manual. I wanted white, but metro gray looks good too. Then, let the modding begin!

I guess you'll take a steep loss on the CRZ.

The gray color looks pretty good - IMO the second best after sky blue. My guess is that Mazda wouldn't have trouble painting a Sport trim a different color - I'll just have to wait. Maybe next year. Swapping out the rear seat would be more difficult, unfortunately.

If it really is a make or break issue for you (having stick + AWD) I would go into the dealer and talk through it. They might be able to special order if you don't mind paying full msrp (or possibly over msrp). Money talks.

If I trade the CRZ to a dealer, I would definitely get reamed, but I always sell my cars myself. When I sell it in July, I will have driven it for about 2 years averaging 39 mpg according to Fuelly. I have saved over $200 a month on gas compared to my Tundra which had been my commute vehicle for the previous 8 years and I will never sell that (the TSX is my wifes car). So a $5000 depreciation is acceptable over 2 years and I have a co-worker who wants it. If gas prices continue to rise during the spring, supplies of diesels and hybrids will dry up like they did last time gas was this high. Of course, if Newt gets elected, we will have $2.50 gallon gas again as he has promised, and I'm going to buy a Hummer!

Back