yellowmsp035's Engine/Turbo Build

yellowmsp035

:
Yellow 2003.5 MSP
ok so i dont usually post too much on about my car on this site but have been on here more then the past and have been getting multiple PMs about my car.

here is a thread i started last winter on my home forum TOProtege.com

i have re-written most of it as this was a long time ago and it isnt exactly a progress thread anymore but more a history thread. some of it IS copied and pasted though so hopefully the pictures tell the stories and you can follow along

i did a custom turbo build two winters ago with a T3/T4 turbo and ran 10psi all summer. turned it up to 12psi for a bit and then eventually almost cut the block in half with all the holes from the broken rod

so i decided to go for the gold and build bigger again. as big as i could go

the whole idea behind my car is that i want EVERYTHING functional and daily driveable (as much as possible haha) when done.

so here's the new engine:
JE 8.5:1CR standard bore
Pauter Rods
Clevitte Bearings
ARP Hardware
Blueprinted, Balanced Everything
Stage 2 PnP Head
5 Angle Valve Job w/ 1mm Oversized valves
no cams yet but will probably pick up the Integral stage 3s

The *new* Turbo Build:
MAM Newer Sleeper Manifold (bullhorn)
Mam Sleeper Downpipe
Garrett GT35R 0.63A/R

the manifold and downpipe i picked up off of Sander and cut them apart upon arrival. i slightly shortened the collector, put on a T3 flange instead of T2 and welded in a tube and v-band flange for my extWG. i only used the top bend of the downpipe for this project and fabbed up the rest myself with the dumptube recirculating back into the exhaust. i welded in a 3" flex section and Y-pipe for my electronic cutout to the end.

and as if building a new engine AND new turbo kit wasn't enough.. i decided to cut apart my front buddyclub bumper aswell. i decided to cut it to open up the front opening and expose about 25% more of my FMIC. i also cutout the foglight spots and fiberglassed over the holes. in doing this, i have given the bumper a whole new look and something more of my own style.

the PnP job :)

the front bumper cutout and made bigger to allow more air to the bigger i/c core

the bumper with a piece filling in the bottom to give an idea of what it will look like when finished.

The BOV and ExtWG i will be using on this setup
img1973ry2.jpg

I took on the challenge of getting the AEM EMS to work with out cars since i think it is the best out there if it works properly. This is supposedly a MAM creature that i bought, but im sure ill run into problems still. I have one of the top AEM tuners in Canada an hour away though so i have back up support if needed.
heres a couple of more parts from the mail
img1980ft2.jpg

Heres the secret weapon and my new baby. i have it sitting beside the stock msp GT25R so you can see the difference in size
img1986wa7.jpg

img1987ni3.jpg

img1988ey2.jpg

to handle the upgraded power. Spec Stage 3+ clutch and Spec flywheel
img0603ba8.jpg

Last edited:
so i try installing it on the old swiss cheese block to mock it up.. i tack weld on the T3 flange on the mani and dp just to see how it would fit

i knew it would be a tight fit.. but it was a little closer than i thought (notice the rad and fans are not in and it is still that close..)
img0614ns5.jpg

img0615fg6.jpg

img0617jj7.jpg

img0619tx1.jpg

img0620ij2.jpg

img0621rv4.jpg

so i try and put the rad out in front of the a/c condenser and run the fans pulling through the two cores and see if that will fit. the rad would fit between but was VERY tight. i wanted to keep the a/c and not just take the EASY way out and remove it like most do since this is a daily driver and i want to keep all the amenities. so after much debate of whether the a/c condenser would even work behind the radiator and trying to fit the fmic core on (which now didnt fit becuase of the rad) i decided to rethink my decision.

i decided to go all out and cut out the stock rad support all together and make my own to house the radiator underneath it. i added more vertical supports and used thicker gauge metal, so it should be STRONGER than OEM

the rad out front, original bad idea
img0618lt3.jpg

rad support cut out completely
img2001mk4.jpg

the new rough version of the rad support and a/c condenser relocated out front like it should be
img2009ll5.jpg

img2014ds2.jpg

making room to sneak the lines out front (tight fit without rubbing)
img2013cv6.jpg

img2007tm8.jpg

better fitment (notice the i/c core fits too)
img2015rs8.jpg

Last edited:
so fitment was finished and i figured out where everything had to be to fit and had it all tacked in place. the use of two engines really helped, i could bolt up to the blown one in the bay and see what needed to be done to fit, then take it out and bolt it to the new block and weld it all together ensuring proper fit. it helped me keep close tolerances

img2042ft6.jpg

img2044ar4.jpg

img2045if1.jpg

img2046us1.jpg

img2047ou6.jpg

img2048sw3.jpg

all the finished welds are now done. i cleaned out all the insides of the pipes. every joint has been ground down and smoothed out to enhance flow. i also ground a lot of them down to look seamless under the ceramic coating

img2050bz9.jpg

img2051an5.jpg

img2052um3.jpg

img2053sj6.jpg

decided to go with a turbo bellmouth for the turbo inlet. custom made 4" ID from a guy in australia. made out of titanium and anodized red. however it doesnt fit over the inlet yet because of the lip Garrett puts on there to hold on silicone couplers. this will be machined off to exactly 4" OD.
the filter is a sandwich screen type that will be folded overtop of the 4" turbo inlet and then have the bellmouth slip over top. i will probably end up drilling a small set screw in the back to ensure it all stays on

img2036ik6.jpg

img2037hl9.jpg

img2038bt0.jpg

img2039od1.jpg

img2040kl8.jpg

Last edited:
sent all the piping and turbine of the turbo away to get Silver Polish Ceramic coated on the outside and XMC coated on the inside to keep in the heat (no more melting CF hoods)
got the compressor side of the turbo done in a Heat Dissipating black coating to keep it as cool as possible when sucking in fresh air
and just removed various parts from under the manifold (that would be hard to remove after installing the turbo setup) that i wanted to be powder coated Candy Red

img2069mt8.jpg

img2064vh8.jpg

img2067je1.jpg

img2065mo8.jpg

img2066fs8.jpg

img2068rh8.jpg

i also finished up the rad support. i welded up all the brackets to mount the a/c too and painted it all up (did the whole front piece to keep it from rusting over winter since there is a lot of bare metal from cutting/bending. also did the condenser but will touch it all up come spring). i had to cut out the latch and whole underside of the front of my c/f hood since it hit the new rad support because it is moved forward 3" from stock. i will be using the flush mount hoodpins now.

img2074dr5.jpg

img2073gw4.jpg

img2075na1.jpg

img2077qt4.jpg

img2076cw7.jpg

just got the valve cover back from coating last night. it isnt chromed or polished so it isnt as shiny as most people would like. it is ceramic coated also to match the piping, so it is functional as well. and i think it looks clean and will accent the red Hotwires i have to sit on top of it

img0167jz7.jpg

Last edited:
I wish i could build my MSP like that, but i dont have the time. or money, I wanna see this finished so subbbbbbbbb

Scott, everything looks particularly awesome man!

I going to pick up a nice set of drag radials when I finally get my car back from Miami, i recommend doing the same because that GT35R is no joke.

Scott your Build is simply INSANE, out of control, sick, awesome, i don't know what else to say... when are you having dyno sheets and videos of this monster ???

setup is not done yet...

still needs a couple things to finish it up.. mostly, i need to get out of trade school so i can make money again. will be on the road this spring (remember it is winter up here haha)

Need:
505zoom Intake Mani
Cams (custom, Integral, twiggy)
SR Cam gears
AWR Oil pan
Double springs and Retainers
Doc B reworked oil pump (worth it?)
DSS stage 2 axles

PAR 1-5 straight cut double syncro gearset
Quaife LSD and bolt kit
PAR Casing reinforcement

then just the little things.. like oil/coolant lines and some gaskets

setup is not done yet...

still needs a couple things to finish it up.. mostly, i need to get out of trade school so i can make money again. will be on the road this spring (remember it is winter up here haha)

Need:
505zoom Intake Mani
Cams (custom, Integral, twiggy)
SR Cam gears
AWR Oil pan
Double springs and Retainers
Doc B reworked oil pump (worth it?)
DSS stage 2 axles

PAR 1-5 straight cut double syncro gearset
Quaife LSD and bolt kit
PAR Casing reinforcement

then just the little things.. like oil/coolant lines and some gaskets

That Sound like MAD MAD money Scott.. but well worth it if you ask me..

its all worth it buddy.. in the end, its all worth it! you know that!

it isnt the money that makes it worth it.. it was all the work put into it.. i do all my own custom work (fabbing, cutting, welding, fitting) (with the help of my dad when needed) so it takes a while

Last edited:
Your lucky to have the Resources to do all your own work... im just starting out my Modding life and i realize that the Tools cost just as much as the parts.

Latest posts

Back