WTB: Set of Coilovers for MS3 (2007)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pololo_MS3

:
Mazdaspeed 3
HI,
Looking into buying a set of Coilovers in good condition. I prefer Mazdaspeed set but BC, H&R and other should be OK.

My main goal is to improve handling (not too low) and fully adjustable for street/track combo.

PM me.

Thanks
Carlos

You should check out Yellow Speed. I hate the name too, but it's pretty good stuff.

They come fully assembled (no need to scavenge parts off your stock suspension) and include the camber adjustment plates and pillow ball uppers.

I'd be weary about the Mazdaspeed coils because they do not come with a warranty. The KWs are exactly the same (they make the mazdaspeeds) and they offer lifetime warranty.

None of this may matter since you are looking for a used set but I thought that I'd let you know.

Thanks bud for the warning. Although I have always used Mazdaspeed products (back in my Miata and RX8) I am inclined to go with a different choice if the price is right... The best bang for the buck for the MS3 seems to be BC but a bit concerned about how stiff they are since my car is my DD... Another choice is definitely H&R... I am definitely looking...

If you like the Mazdaspeed stuff than KW is what I think you should look into. I have them and my only complaint is that they are noisy. This may just be a general coilover side effect though.

You shouldn't have to worry about the stiffness of the BC's because they are adjustable and you can set them wherever you want. The only issue I see people bring up with those is the difficulty of adjusting the rear shock rates on the fly. Also, to adjust the rear perches for ride height, you basically have to disassemble everything back there to do it.

The H&Rs are a good choice also. The H&Rs have the best reviews out of them all but you should be aware that their maximum recommended height setting almost 1.5 inches lower than stock which is too low for some people. My KWs recommend 0.7 inch drop as the maximum height and they can be dropped down to 2.0 inches lower. Also, the same rear perch adjustment issue that the BC's have applies here too.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the info... Been there done that.. I dropped my Miata like 2"-2.5" and the handling went out the window, not to say that my kidneys took a beating... but it looked cool.. However I have "matured" and I want to keep handling and comfort level as my priority... The most I will drop will be 1-1.5" so I don't affect the suspension geometry, especially with my RX8 R3 19" wheels :)

I don't think it really matters how much you lower your car, the stiffness (kidney punch) comes from the increased spring rate. Most of the coilover setups have very high rates. Have you considered the Koni FSD with the Eibach prokit springs? This should give you a modest drop without excessively high spring rates and all the benefits of FSD (self adjusting damping). Alas, you'll be saving little, if any, money.

Do a search for this combo on this site, there are a couple members that did this and love it.

Alot of companies offer different spring rates. I have Ksport (not for sale btw) that are fully rebuildable and offer replacement springs. I think think they were pretty inexpensive, and i know they are easy to swap. so i would consider that when buying used struts. Buy the quality strut and put whatever spring rate you find works for best you. I ordered the heaviest springs offered and figured for 50 bucks a spring i could change out easy enough. good luck!

Awesome feedback.. Thanks!!!

Jano... You have PM.

Thanks,
Carlos
ps. Shurik... start your own thread, don't you think? :(

sorry, just decided to take advantage of maybe a deal. Why flood the forum with double threads....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back