2017~2024 Wrench Icon on dash came on as I got gas...

So I leave fuel station and light on dash "wrench" comes on. And from habit, thought, oh, cap must not be tight. Pull into driveway, check cap, its fine. So I check the Info display and see a /!\ for something. Turns out, TIRE ROTATION is due. Really? (I've put 5K miles on it in a year...) well, reset that and wrench is gone. Will do tires when I do the oil over weekend... I never set that so that either was dealer or factory default?

Probably the factory default. That's a very normal recommended tire rotation interval.

So I leave fuel station and light on dash "wrench" comes on. And from habit, thought, oh, cap must not be tight. Pull into driveway, check cap, its fine. So I check the Info display and see a /!\ for something. Turns out, TIRE ROTATION is due. Really? (I've put 5K miles on it in a year...) well, reset that and wrench is gone. Will do tires when I do the oil over weekend... I never set that so that either was dealer or factory default?
I assume you have a 2021 Mazda CX-5. The Maintenance Monitor interfaced via infotainment screen in your car featured 3 maintenance categories, Scheduled、Tire Rotation、and Oil Change. The factory default on Tire Rotation is 5,000 miles. The factory default on Oil Change” is “Flexible” which is up to 7,500 miles or 12 months calculated based on your driving habit. You should see another wrench indicator soon from Oil Change notification unless the setup had got changed.

Actually the recommended interval on tire rotation is 7,500 miles for 2021 CX-5, although it’s 5,000 miles for some CX-5 MYs such my 2016 CX-5.

Strangely the owner’s manual for 2021 CX-5 seems to have a section missing on Maintenance Monitor in Chapter 6 Maintenance and are.

I assume you have a 2021 Mazda CX-5. The Maintenance Monitor interfaced via infotainment screen in your car featured 3 maintenance categories, Scheduled、Tire Rotation、and Oil Change. The factory default on Tire Rotation is 5,000 miles. The factory default on Oil Change” is “Flexible” which is up to 7,500 miles or 12 months calculated based on your driving habit. You should see another wrench indicator soon from Oil Change notification unless the setup had got changed.

Actually the recommended interval on tire rotation is 7,500 miles for 2021 CX-5, although it’s 5,000 miles for some CX-5 MYs such my 2016 CX-5.

Strangely the owner’s manual for 2021 CX-5 seems to have a section missing on Maintenance Monitor in Chapter 6 Maintenance and are.
Sadly, it doesn't seem strange that there would be a section missing, or that the default setting for Tire Rotation in the infotainment would not match what Mazda states elsewhere. In my short ownership period thus far, it has become very apparent that Mazda is extremely lacking in their coordination, testing and final review process before things go to production, especially when it comes to the details. Good thing they get most of the big things right.

For 2021, they stuck the Maintenance Monitor info in the separate Mazda Connect Owner's Manual starting on page 2.14. They include it there under Vehicle Status Monitor:

I had not noticed before that the 2020 (and 2021) manuals state you can switch off notifications which is my preference; I find them annoying. I have always tracked this stuff myself. I'll have to check my settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, it doesn't seem strange that there would be a sections, or that the default setting for Tire Rotation in the infotainment would not match what Mazda states elsewhere. In my short ownership period thus far, it has become very apparent that Mazda is extremely lacking in their coordination, testing and final review process before things go to production, especially when it comes to the details. Good thing they get most of the big things right.
Mazda manuals are pretty bad. In 700+ pages I don't believe there is a single instance where the sequential steps to do something are listed. There was also a recent discussion of inconsistencies, oddities and missing items in the scheduled maintenance. I've had other issues with the 2020 version when first acclimating to the vehicle. A couple I can recall at the moment are how the "walk around" locking is described and the diagram showing when lane keeping is activated.

Sadly, it doesn't seem strange that there would be a section missing, or that the default setting for Tire Rotation in the infotainment would not match what Mazda states elsewhere. In my short ownership period thus far, it has become very apparent that Mazda is extremely lacking in their coordination, testing and final review process before things go to production, especially when it comes to the details. Good thing they get most of the big things right.
Agreed. Wait until you’re changing the oil、front transfer case / rear differential lubricant yourself, you’ll find the inconsistencies among APPROXIMATE fluid capacity specifications stated in your owner’s manual.

The wrench (maintenance due) comes on 600 miles before whatever mileage interval has been set. It will also come just before 1 year since it was reset.

For 2021, they stuck the Maintenance Monitor info in the separate Mazda Connect Owner's Manual starting on page 2.14. They include it there under Vehicle Status Monitor:

The question is still why Mazda removed such information from owner’s manual which is the first place car owners are looking for informations?

I had not noticed before that the 2020 (and 2021) manuals state you can switch off notifications which is my preference; I find them annoying. I have always tracked this stuff myself. I'll have to check my settings.
I don’t see why you can’t disable those maintenance reminders as I can even on my 2016 CX-5.

But I keep those 3 maintenance reminders just to remind me the maintenance is due, and they’re more accurate especially on oil change schedule with Flexible OCI. You still can do whatever you want to do on these maintenance items, as after all, they’re just reminders, but a good reference for maintenance intervals you want to choose.

Mazda manuals are pretty bad. In 700+ pages I don't believe there is a single instance where the sequential steps to do something are listed. There was also a recent discussion of inconsistencies, oddities and missing items in the scheduled maintenance. I've had other issues with the 2020 version when first acclimating to the vehicle. A couple I can recall at the moment are how the "walk around" locking is described and the diagram showing when lane keeping is activated.
Thank you. So true. At least we get a printed paper owners manual. I had to order one from Acura, was free, for my wife’s 2020 tlx. Only got a dvd, which I assume you are suppose to use instead. I’m old fashion and with the 100’s of pages in the manual don’t know how you would find anything quickly. Especially. With the convoluted one Mazda came up with.

The wrench (maintenance due) comes on 600 miles before whatever mileage interval has been set. It will also come just before 1 year since it was reset.
Mine kept coming on even those notices were turned off. Service manager set it for 65000 miles, so I guess there’s not an easy fix for this issue. I do it at 5000 mile intervals. Probably too soon but easy to remember.

The question is still why Mazda removed such information from owner’s manual which is the first place car owners are looking for informations?
You're asking me, the guy who thinks these CX-5 manuals are terrible?

By the way, at the Mazda USA web site you can load the PDF version of the manuals and then do word searches. For instance, a word search on "Maintenace Monitor" in the primary manual hits on a couple of references that point to the Mazda Connect Owners Manual. They don't even call it the same thing in the two places, par for the course.
Thank you. So true. At least we get a printed paper owners manual. I had to order one from Acura, was free, for my wife’s 2020 tlx. Only got a dvd, which I assume you are suppose to use instead. I’m old fashion and with the 100’s of pages in the manual don’t know how you would find anything quickly. Especially. With the convoluted one Mazda came up with.
As noted, the best way to find stuff is a PDF word search. For CX-5 you can load the PDF at mazdausa.com. I have a 2020 copy on my hard drive. I don't know how many years back the Mazda site goes. If that Acura DVD (or is it a CD?) does not have a word-searchable document format maybe Acura has a PDF version on their web site, either downloadable or linkable.

I don't think you're old fashioned in wanting a paper manual. 1) PDF search for what you want to check out, (2) mental note of the applicable page number, (3) pull the manual out of the glove box for reference. Pretty simple. That's if you have a computer. I have no idea what you'd need to do if all you have is a phone.

I don’t see why you can’t disable those maintenance reminders as I can even on my 2016 CX-5.
I didn't say I couldn't. I said I'd have to check it out. Now I have.

"Scheduled" and "Tire Rotation" can be turned off in my model and year; oil change cannot. Curiously for some reason the oil change setting is stuck on "Fixed". Neither the screen controller nor touching the screen can access the "Flexible" setting. No bother, because:

Mine kept coming on even those notices were turned off. Service manager set it for 65000 miles, so I guess there’s not an easy fix for this issue. I do it at 5000 mile intervals. Probably too soon but easy to remember.

That's what I did, just jacked up the mileage on the "Fixed" setting.

Those are the kinds of annoyances I seek to avoid. My 2014 Sienna is even worse. At 4,500 miles it issues a warning momentarily at start-up on the little dash screen. At 5,000 miles the message does not go away until reset--no backup camera, no nothing, except the message.

"Scheduled" and "Tire Rotation" can be turned off in my model and year; oil change cannot. Curiously for some reason the oil change setting is stuck on "Fixed". Neither the screen controller nor touching the screen can access the "Flexible" setting. No bother, because:
You can only change the Oil Change settings in Maintenance Monitor, reset、Flexible、Fixed, etc., when the ignition is on without engine running. Plenty of people failed to do this when they’re trying to make the change but can’t.

And there’re a couple of TSBs for 2016 CX-5 and newer with Maintenance Monitor. Make sure to perform these TSBs with revised PCM software so that your Maintenance Monitor is working correctly.

You can only change the Oil Change settings in Maintenance Monitor, reset、Flexible、Fixed, etc., when the ignition is on without engine running. Plenty of people failed to do this when they’re trying to make the change but can’t.
You're half right as regards my year and model but you did head me in the right direction.

Foot off the brake, press the start button once to "Accessory" position, the speedometer lights up and the touch screen activates. In that ignition position the Flexible mode selection is locked out while the other maintenance settings are free to adjust. That's what I did in the previous description.

Press the start button a second time with foot off the brake to the "On" position and oil change can now be switched to back and forth between Fixed and Flexible. Flexible resets to 7,500 miles.

However, I can also switch between Fixed and Flexible with the engine running.

The manual strikes again. Nowhere is this unintuitive procedure described.

For me it is more a curiosity since I do not want service notifications. Good to know it works for when I trade it 10 or 20 years down the line. ;)

You're half right as regards my year and model but you did head me in the right direction.

Foot off the brake, press the start button once to "Accessory" position, the speedometer lights up and the touch screen activates. In that ignition position the Flexible mode selection is locked out while the other maintenance settings are free to adjust. That's what I did in the previous description.

Press the start button a second time with foot off the brake to the "On" position and oil change can now be switched to back and forth between Fixed and Flexible. Flexible resets to 7,500 miles.

However, I can also switch between Fixed and Flexible with the engine running.

The manual strikes again. Nowhere is this unintuitive procedure described.

For me it is more a curiosity since I do not want service notifications. Good to know it works for when I trade it 10 or 20 years down the line. ;)
With your 2020 (and 2017 and newer models in general), you don't need to do all that. You can just reset it on the center display/Mazda connect screen. It even mentions it in the 2nd TSB yrwei52 posted:

"To correct this issue, the CMU software has been modified so that the oil maintenance monitor reset operation on the center display resets both the CMU and the PCM at the same time. With this change, the reset operation using the trip meter switch is now unnecessary. "

With your 2020 (and 2017 and newer models in general), you don't need to do all that. You can just reset it on the center display/Mazda connect screen. It even mentions it in the 2nd TSB yrwei52 posted:

"To correct this issue, the CMU software has been modified so that the oil maintenance monitor reset operation on the center display resets both the CMU and the PCM at the same time. With this change, the reset operation using the trip meter switch is now unnecessary. "
The topic of my post was switching between Fixed and Flexible, not the issues addressed in those TSBs. I'm aware that resetting mileage is about a 5 second procedure drilling down through the Applications menu. Anyway, for my purposes, the TSBs (presumably addressed at the factory for 2020) are irrelevant for my purposes if I just jack the Fixed interval to a high number. No alerts to reset, at least until the next oil change if the tech resets it to Fixed 5,000 miles. ;)

Back