Wow! CX-5 Short Break Pad Life!

No, no , no, absent information: pads on all four corners also changed. Front rotors were scared supposedly due to travel on unpaved roads. I could have waited a couple of days for them to be polished or just replaced. Since I live far from any public transport to get home I chose the latter option. Not sure what sounds fishy to you. I am just reporting as maintenance events unfold.
OK, I misunderstood. I read your post literally, which means I understood you to say that they just replaced the rotor without doing the pads or any other work.
To clarify, just replacing a front rotor without doing pads is fishy. Almost nobody does that.

Here is an update to my front brake pads that were supposedly down to 4 mm and needed changing according to the service technician. They were changed yesterday and I asked for my old ones back just to check. One pad at one edge was down to 4 mm and the rest of them were between 5 and 6 mm. So he just measured that tiny part of one pad that was 4 mm? Sounds crazy. The other thing that I found out was that the original brake pads on my cx5 were Ferrodo 4273FF or Mazda KD39F. Now we know who makes our pads with chalk like material!! It even had two shim plates on each outer pads. To reduce noise? Cost me whooping 200 Euros!

Here is an update to my front brake pads that were supposedly down to 4 mm and needed changing according to the service technician. They were changed yesterday and I asked for my old ones back just to check. One pad at one edge was down to 4 mm and the rest of them were between 5 and 6 mm. So he just measured that tiny part of one pad that was 4 mm? Sounds crazy. The other thing that I found out was that the original brake pads on my cx5 were Ferrodo 4273FF or Mazda KD39F. Now we know who makes our pads with chalk like material!! It even had two shim plates on each outer pads. To reduce noise? Cost me whooping 200 Euros!
In the US, pads need to be over 2mm to pass safety requirements. Your CX5 likely just needed to have the caliper pins cleaned and lubed to get more even wear between the inner and outer pads. My 2017 Mazda6 has the same amount of brake pad wear as your CX5 and it will likely be 9-12 months before they need to be replaced.

On the 4mm pad, was wear even across the pad or was it at an angle?

Your factory front brakes only have shim on the outer disc pad instead of on both pads? That’s weird. I imagine your Mazda Service Center put OEM pads in and do you know if they put any shims in with the new pads?

Based on the specs from Mazda Workshop Manual, the thickness of new disc pad is 10 mm / 0.39” at front, and 8.5 mm / 0.33” at rear. Like dunhillmc mentioned above, the Workshop Manual also says the minimum usable thickness on front and rear disc pads is 2 mm / 0.079” and it’s time to get pads replaced.

So you definitely changed front pads a bit too early.

Your factory front brakes only have shim on the outer disc pad instead of on both pads? That’s weird. I imagine your Mazda Service Center put OEM pads in and do you know if they put any shims in with the new pads?

Based on the specs from Mazda Workshop Manual, the thickness of new disc pad is 10 mm / 0.39” at front, and 8.5 mm / 0.33” at rear. Like dunhillmc mentioned above, the Workshop Manual also says the minimum usable thickness on front and rear disc pads is 2 mm / 0.079” and it’s time to get pads replaced.

So you definitely changed front pads a bit too early.
Obviously this Mazda certified workshop decided to earn extra money by getting me to change the brake pads earlier than needed. I chickened out because this car has a 10 year warranty and I felt that I was obliged to take their advise to retain that warranty. It cost a good amount of money. I could have done it myself for quarter of that price but again this warranty issue prevented me mentally from doing it DIY. Next time I'll decide when to change and will go DIY. The shimms were only on the outside ones but two shimms each on the outer pads! Is two better than one?

In the US, pads need to be over 2mm to pass safety requirements.

On the 4mm pad, was wear even across the pad or was it at an angle?
The 4 mm was on one lower edge close to one corner when examined closely. Rest of it was 5mm or more.

⋯ The shimms were only on the outside ones but two shimms each on the outer pads! Is two better than one?
I believe the “Mazda certified workshop” did it wrong. There should be a single or 2 different shims on the back of each brake pad if the shims are required, not just on outer pad.

I believe the “Mazda certified workshop” did it wrong. There should be a single or 2 different shims on the back of each brake pad if the shims are required, not just on outer pad.
That was the original pads that came out of the car that I was referring to. So it happened at the mazda Japan factory or the Ferrodo brake factory.

That was the original pads that came out of the car that I was referring to. So it happened at the mazda Japan factory or the Ferrodo brake factory.
That’s weird. Here’re a couple of examples on rear brakes on Mazda CX-5 and dual-piston caliper front brakes on CX-9 (the same on CX-5 with 2.5T) and they all use single shim or dual shim on the back of EACH pad, inner and outer.

F55477B7-341B-439D-AC55-42E7855BDAE2.jpeg

1A2D3A83-72FF-4754-BAD1-58E8B9C00265.jpeg

I have thrown the pads but saved the shims. I will look at it again tomorrow and let you know exactly.

We love our 2020 CX5. But reading this thread concerns me.
Compare: My 2007 Duramax Diesel purchased new has 225k
miles and the pads are only 50% worn. Includes towing.
Splain that?

Last edited:
We love our 2020 CX5. But reading this thread concerns me.
Compare: My 2007 Duramax Diesel purchased new has 225k
miles and the pads are only 50% worn. Includes towing.
Splain that?
Heavy duty brakes for a heavy duty application?

I suspect the folks getting very short brake life on the CX-5 are in a small minority.

You can count me in the minority: New pads front/rear at 14,700 kilometers. New front pads at 26,600 kilometers, 29,600 new pads front and rear. Just incredible.

I guess it is what it is. I do all my service work that I can. That includes brakes. So this begs the question: who's pads are the best and DON'T
dust. I will give credit to Mazda cause the OEM pads on our CX-5 do not dust.
I would pay a hefty premium to know that I'm putting on non dusting pads.
The OEM pads do tend to fade a bit though.

Brake pad life completely depends on your driving habits: 100%.

If you have daily 100 mile commutes on the Interstate at 70 miles per hour, you can easily see 100,000 miles between brake pad replacements.

If your car is used like an inner city taxi, with constant stop and go, then you might get 15,000 out of a set.

If you beat on your Miata on the weekends at Willow Springs Raceway, then a set of pads might last a weekend, if you're lucky!

Last edited:
You can count me in the minority: New pads front/rear at 14,700 kilometers. New front pads at 26,600 kilometers, 29,600 new pads front and rear. Just incredible.
Yes, I'm definitely counting you in that category, and do not mean to invalidate your experience - I just think its uncommon.

Had my rears done at 46,000. Fronts are still original at 82,000 miles.

Update - Just had all 4 discs, and pads replaced at 87,000

Back