Would you guys be interested in getting quality wide-angled mirrors for your CX-50?

Wrong. There is no area that can't be seen between a combination of rear view and the side view mirror. As a car approaches from the rear/side, at the time it can no longer be seen in the rear view it appears in the side view. And when it is no longer seen in the side view, then you'll see it right out your window.
no, you're the one that's wrong.. with EDM mirrors, I can see BOTH the small side of my car and the immediate lane over next to my car

don't talk to me about "that area can't be seen" when you didn't even bother looking at the pics I posted nor experienced what it's like to drive with these kinds of mirrors in a foreign country... the mirrors which provide you a wide field of view from the edge of your car, all the way to the full width of your adjacent lane, which means there's 99% no blind spots

so long as my car is traveling the same parallel path as the other cars, I can always see cars approaching from behind, to next to me, on combination of my mirrors... no cars ever disappears from my non-US mirrors unless I'm approaching traffic in an angle

Why do you need to see the rear of your car? Looking straight down the side of your car provides no useful information. The only reason to see the back of your car is to make sure no one steals your gas cap. When adjusted properly, there is no blind spot whatsoever as anything would be seen by either your rear view mirror or your side view mirrors
saying you never back in park or parallel park without saying you never back in park or parallel park

your so called "adjusted properly" mirrors HAS a giant blind spot still, it's called the side of your car... all you did was shifted your blind spot from a less favorable place to a more favorable place... your arrogance of not even listening to the facts presented is not going to win this argument... arrogantly ignoring something that's developed decades ago and enjoyed by billions of people around the world does not make DOT flat mirrors any better or justifiable with "adjusted properly" other than the fact that it's better than nothing and costs you nothing

saying you never back in park or parallel park without saying you never back in park or parallel park

your so called "adjusted properly" mirrors HAS a giant blind spot still, it's called the side of your car... all you did was shifted your blind spot from a less favorable place to a more favorable place... your arrogance of not even listening to the facts presented is not going to win this argument... arrogantly ignoring something that's developed decades ago and enjoyed by billions of people around the world does not make DOT flat mirrors any better or justifiable with "adjusted properly" other than the fact that it's better than nothing and costs you nothing
I have a feeling hal2 is the same kind of person as the dude in this video: Your Car Doesn't Have Blind Spots | You're Just Stupid
Dead wrong, but very confident in their beliefs.

I have a feeling hal2 is the same kind of person as the dude in this video: Your Car Doesn't Have Blind Spots | You're Just Stupid
Dead wrong, but very confident in their beliefs.
if this was on FB, I would've tagged "Wow that is violently American" :ROFLMAO:

all jokes aside, I've seen plenty of similar responses to convex/aspheric mirror threads from others over the years, and it's always the same rhetoric: "adjust your mirrors properly".... go look at my own threads, you'll see the same bulls*** arguments and they always get shut down with the same facts I presented earlier

the only merits of DOT flat mirrors are:
  • they're 100% legal in any country
  • they came with the USDM car, so they cost you nothing
  • adjusting them way out to see the next lane over costs you nothing and is the safest thing to do if you have those mirrors and happy with them
  • they are the best at providing accurate distance judgement as they have a magnification effect
meanwhile, the rest of the world, except australia and canada already forsaken flat mirrors because:
  • they have a very narrow field of view and can only cover a portion of your rearward vision to the side of your car; thus you must prioritize which visual area you want to cover and condemn the areas not covered into a blind spot
  • they require shoulder checks for blind spots more often; people with health issues/neck injuries have difficulties doing this
  • they require checking the interior mirror then the outside mirror to cover the most important visual areas to make up for the narrow field of view
  • they slow you down on lane changes because of the shoulder checks or multiple mirror checks; this is critical in heavy traffic or emergency lane changes because every milliseconds counts and any delay can result in a crash
  • they require leaning your head against the window to check rearward vision immediately next to your car or temporarily adjusting the mirror inwards for back in or parallel parking

the issues with flat mirrors is why NHTSA actually went ahead and allowed convex passenger side mirrors in the mid 80s, with the caveat of the "objects in mirror" warning label because of the mimification effect of convex mirrors... this is the primary concern NHTSA has and is stubbornly holding reservations against allowing convex driver's side mirrors

so, for convex driver's side mirrors, the disadvantages are:
  • mimification effect: "objects in mirrors are closer than they appear"... it is very true and the more curved the mirror (smaller radius of curvature), the greater the effect is
  • images in the mirror become distorted... the more curved the mirror (smaller radius of curvature), the greater the effect is (that's why JDM mirrors aren't really legal in most countries)
  • harder to judge distances because of the mimification and distortion effects; this is why EDM cars have aspheric mirrors to attempt to overcome this concern and the main portion doesn't have to be as curved/convex... studies shown that older people have more issues with convex mirrors (see Univeristy of Michigan Transportation Research Institute white paper)... this is what NHTSA is getting hung up about, but the trade off is not proportional with the benefits
but the advantages of convex driver's side mirrors greatly outweighs those issues:
  • wide field of view: UN and JIS regulations specify a field of view not only horizontally covering from the immediate side of the car, all the way to the the entire next lane over, but also has stricter vertical field of view requirements... this helps see objects close and low next to the car, aiding parking manuvers
  • does not require shoulder or multiple mirror checks to see what's next to you most of the time; greatly improving driver efficiency... the more time your eyes are on the road in front of you, the safer it is
  • mimification effect helps reduce headlight glare from following cars
  • low cost and does not require electronic driving aids to cover the field of view: blind spot monitoring is not as important, blind spot camera not needed
non-US regulators have weigh the benefits against the risks decades ago and decided that the benefits was much worth it

Last edited:
Haha, yeah. Btw, where did you get your EDM mirror glasses from? Like is there a website?
my sources are private, but the easiest way to do this is find a UK ebay seller who happens to be a mazda dealer and ships internationally with the ebay gloabl shipping program... PM them, ask if they will make a new listing for you with part numbers you provide and buy it that way... I bought EDM accessories for my 3 that way

To summarize, US-legal mirrors can be adjusted to show less of the rear of the car and more of the road, minimizing the blind spot (which is typically what we have to shoulder check for). Convex/aspheric mirrors have a wider FOV, which allows for an "overlap" from the rear view mirror to the side view mirror.

Functionally, the convex/aspheric mirrors are overall better, despite some very minor disadvantages. The problem is that they aren't legal here. So, adjusting your mirrors allows you to see a bit more, while still being road legal, but the solution is kind of a half-measure compared to just using convex/aspheric mirrors.

In any event, let's get back to the main topic. Are there any other CX-50 owners who would be interested in these mirrors from Suma Performance?

To summarize, US-legal mirrors can be adjusted to show less of the rear of the car and more of the road, minimizing the blind spot (which is typically what we have to shoulder check for). Convex/aspheric mirrors have a wider FOV, which allows for an "overlap" from the rear view mirror to the side view mirror.

Functionally, the convex/aspheric mirrors are overall better, despite some very minor disadvantages. The problem is that they aren't legal here. So, adjusting your mirrors allows you to see a bit more, while still being road legal, but the solution is kind of a half-measure compared to just using convex/aspheric mirrors.

In any event, let's get back to the main topic. Are there any other CX-50 owners who would be interested in these mirrors from Suma Performance?
the mirrors from suma won't be US/Canada legal either, but that being said, it's practically impossible to get caught... where there are vehicle inspections, inspectors won't know how to tell between a convex and flat mirror, and all they will do is just check that there's a functioning mirror as required by state law (some states require just 1 mirror on the car)... most state level vehicle regulations are very basic, so they don't specify what kind of mirror the car has either

bottom line, it's a FYI just in case anyone is worried about this and not to flip out if you get caught (which you likely won't... your odds are greater getting a parking ticket, and a speeding ticket, than over some silly mirrors)

the mirrors from suma won't be US/Canada legal either, but that being said, it's practically impossible to get caught... where there are vehicle inspections, inspectors won't know how to tell between a convex and flat mirror, and all they will do is just check that there's a functioning mirror as required by state law (some states require just 1 mirror on the car)... most state level vehicle regulations are very basic, so they don't specify what kind of mirror the car has either

bottom line, it's a FYI just in case anyone is worried about this and not to flip out if you get caught (which you likely won't... your odds are greater getting a parking ticket, and a speeding ticket, than over some silly mirrors)
Yeah, I think getting caught is pretty much a non-issue because I've been pulled over by a cop recently for changing lanes too quickly. In my defense, I didn't want to miss the exit. Luckily, I just got a warning instead of a ticket. But before the cop let me go, he asked if my side mirror glasses were stock because the right indicator light was still blinking. He said his wife also has a Rav4 but her mirror glasses don't have signal lights built into them. Then he just let me off. So yeah, they won't know.

Please email them at support@sumaperformance.com if you're interested. They told me they can probably start making them if they can get at least 20 inquiries. Thank you!

All very true, but there is still a risk of getting caught, however minor it might be. Good news is that it will usually result in a "fix-it" ticket or warning, which is why I suggested keeping the original mirrors for anyone who wants to swap to convex/aspherical mirrors. It's not like they'll impound the vehicle, lol

All very true, but there is still a risk of getting caught, however minor it might be. Good news is that it will usually result in a "fix-it" ticket or warning, which is why I suggested keeping the original mirrors for anyone who wants to swap to convex/aspherical mirrors. It's not like they'll impound the vehicle, lol
Yeah, and installation/uninstallation is pretty easy. Anyhow, have you emailed Suma yet? ^^'

I don't have a CX-50, so no.
fortunately for you, the CX-9 mirrors appear to be the same as the CX-5 ones... if you're interested, just tell me which year CX-5 it matches and I can look the EDM part numbers

fortunately for you, the CX-9 mirrors appear to be the same as the CX-5 ones... if you're interested, just tell me which year CX-5 it matches and I can look the EDM part numbers

Yes, I believe that while gathering interest for the first Suma Performance preorder, we discovered that the part numbers for the mirror glass of the 2017+ CX-5 and the 2016+ CX-9 are the same.

Yes, I believe that while gathering interest for the first Suma Performance preorder, we discovered that the part numbers for the mirror glass of the 2017+ CX-5 and the 2016+ CX-9 are the same.
like I said, if you're personally interested in upgrading your own CX-9's mirrors to EDM CX-5 ones, let me know and I'll give you the part numbers so you can import them... won't be cheap of course

like I said, if you're personally interested in upgrading your own CX-9's mirrors to EDM CX-5 ones, let me know and I'll give you the part numbers so you can import them... won't be cheap of course

Sure, if you want to post it here or PM it to me, that would be great.

Just throwing this out there, European mirrors are already convex (I believe) can you just obtain them for the CX-5 (however, maybe not the CX-50 since that's US only)

Just throwing this out there, European mirrors are already convex (I believe) can you just obtain them for the CX-5 (however, maybe not the CX-50 since that's US only)

Yes, for the CX-5 and CX-9 we could use the EDM mirrors, as @TheMAN mentioned above. I don't know what the part number is for the CX-50's mirror glass, but if we had that, we could check it against the CX-5 part number to see if it would work.

EDIT: Just from comparing screenshots and pictures from Google, I don't think the CX-5 mirrors would work on the CX-50. The CX-50 mirrors appear to be a bit wider than the CX-5 mirrors. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Yes, for the CX-5 and CX-9 we could use the EDM mirrors, as @TheMAN mentioned above. I don't know what the part number is for the CX-50's mirror glass, but if we had that, we could check it against the CX-5 part number to see if it would work.

EDIT: Just from comparing screenshots and pictures from Google, I don't think the CX-5 mirrors would work on the CX-50. The CX-50 mirrors appear to be a bit wider than the CX-5 mirrors. But I could be wrong.
The CX-50 mirror design/shape is indeed different and follows the newer design language. As I've mentioned the other day, it might be the same/similar to the CX-60 sold overseas. Even if it's the same shape, the problem at that point is knowing who the supplier is. Only someone who looks at the cars can confirm for us (it's stamped on the underside of the mirror housings).

Back