Would a turbo p5 be recon friendly there? (oahu)

protojason

Contributor
:
1999 Miata, emerald green mica
Lo folks...

So, I just got my masters, applying for jobs and such, pipe-dreaming about making it back to the islands, and was curious

The whole "recon" thing. I dont have a turbo in my P5 yet, but all these kits floating around in the FS sections sure seem tempting. What do you think the politics would be bringing my P5 to the islands if turbo'd? What if it's just the standard MSP kit swap? Would that be legit?

Not sure of the standards on the islands these days.

Jason

I got two friends one with a custom turbo and the other a MSP both got RECON=) Also my car got RECON but no turbo=) so nothing big to worry about. Let us know when you come down to Hawaii.

Efren

i think it will pass recon as long as both the BOV/BPV and wastegate recirculate back into the exhaust stream

i got recon but that was before boosting... i doubt my recon is still valid

i just went to recon, for the most part they only car about is suspension, as far as boosting, unless your doing a motor swap also, you mighthave to go to recon

ok this is pulled out directly from hawaii's recon law http://www.state.hi.us/dot/highways/adminrules/HAR19-134%20July%2024%201986.pdf
"The mere instinstallation of an aftermarket supercharger or turbocharger carburetor, intake manifold, water injection and air cleaner cataloged or otherwise designated as a street application shall not be subject to this chapter; however, the vehicle shall be capable of meeting all other criteria established in this chapter;"

Hrm...fyi...all you loud exhaust pepz...I believe they gonna try to submit the loud exhaust bill again this year. Plenty pepz been complaining in the media/newspapers...someday their complaints gonna be heard. Wonder how that would work tho...since a lot of PD have loud cars as well...Harley's and loud trucks...hehe... Oh and loud music again. I take it they gonna start cracking down on that again because of the complaints. GRRRR!

I dont get that.

These laws usually pertain to cars..., think about all those harley owners? Not exactly quiet, and it's a desirable sound to those owners. Not the mention the whole 'loud pipes saves lives' motorcycle mantra. . .

I believe that is why this law has not passed several years in a row...Harley guys get some mean pull and band together in a huge brotherhood/sisterhood...including PD members.

Back