Worth Waiting for the 3.7L Japanese Motor?

So, everyone, what is the consensus, do you think I should wait?

07 Pros - lots in stock around Denver and I can probable get a deal

08 Pros - motor is larger, torquier, motor might also be simply better - I hear it will be Japan built

Cons for the 2008 is more money. MSRP has gone up, no financing deals and of course dealer may not sell it at Invoice, yet. Overall it will cost approx $4000 (including taxes) more for the 2008 model. Consequently, you will get $2k back in resale value. Therefore, is that extra $2k worth a Japan-built motor?

Well, lets see what $2k can buy, for example:
(a) 7yr/100k bumper-to-bumper (LuxuryCare) extended warranty from WarrantyDirect.
(b) GT Assist Package (Navigation, backup camera, power liftgate, etc.)
(c) Dual headrest DVD setup + $1000 leftover for a nice roadtrip.

Cosmetically, 2007 and 2008 are identical. That extra $2k resale will quickly dissappear if you end up driving more than 12-15k miles/year.

Financially speaking, if you plan to keep your CX-9 for 3 years or less, go with 2008. If 4 years or more, I'd save the cash and go with a 2007.

Didn't they also add the blind spot monitoring system?? If you but the 07, you already lost a year of resale on top of JUST driving off the lot. Implan on going with the 08. Also y would they change the engine after just 1 year ???????

................Also y would they change the engine after just 1 year ???????

Reviews I've read say 2008 performance is not immediately obvious that much better than 2007.

Hence my guess is marketing, to add to the aura of it's sporty personality to differentiate from other CUVs. Perhaps it will evolve into something highly significant in years to come.

Also y would they change the engine after just 1 year ???????[/QUOTE]

I think it may have changed the motor due to competition. With the CX-9 being a 7-passenger vehicle(it's Ford cousins only being 5-passengers) and competing against the Outlook, Arcadia, Enclave, MDX etc..... with all of them having more horsepower, now the CX-9 has atleast has the same rated HP as the GM triplets. (thought)

If you but the 07, you already lost a year of resale on top of JUST driving off the lot.

Any bnew car will lose value as soon as you drive off the lot. Only this time the 07 will lose more than the 08. However, 5 years down the road, mileage and vehicle condition will play a more important factor than model year alone.

If you live and drive in a hilly area you may recoup some money in gas with the extra torque in the 08' as you don't need to give it as much gas to get up a hill........which is the main reason for the big torque increase. Who knows? The 08' may even hold up better if you keep it for a very long time because they have built them longer in production than 07' and have worked out whatever kinks were in the parts/process a bit better. I think in the end it is a wash financially...unless you invested the xtra money instead of spending it on more extras of course.

Any bnew car will lose value as soon as you drive off the lot. Only this time the 07 will lose more than the 08. However, 5 years down the road, mileage and vehicle condition will play a more important factor than model year alone.

Amen!
Any new car will lose value as soon as you sign on the dotted line. The good thing is that the depreciation on a 2007 model is already reflected in the $4k price differential. Heck, if you're willing to buy a Sport model, add an extra $1000 in MAC cash available on the 2007 models.

Also, what if the 2008 gets into a minor accident? Even with low miles, that extra $2k resale just went right out the window. Even though the accident was not your fault...could be a hit-n-run, however, any minor paintwork / 'bondo' stuff significantly reduces the resale value of the vehicle.

I ask you, How many people could tell the difference between a 263 watt and 275 watt stereo? I guess there are a few "Audiophiles" out there that would claim they can, but in the real world? I don't think so. Mazda did not build an all new engine for the '08s. They just bumped up the displacement of the 3.5L to 3.7L and began manufacturing the engine in Japan. I just popped for an '07 AWD GT and we love everything about it. I'm not worried about depreciation because in 5 or 6 years when we are ready for a new one I'll sell this one and it won't matter Diddley (Bo) whether it's an '07 or '08. If you can find an '07 that meets your needs, go for it! What's the little Gecko say, "Regardless if you're having dinner with the Queen at the Palace or the Castle, you're having Filet Mignon!

Only a V8 could help those Lamdas but the cx-y-9 would move along quite nicely especially up a steep hill with the extra oomph. Man if my Toyota had 10% more power (torque) I would be a happy guy although I would still trade it for the Mazda because most things are night/day between them. And I mean either the 07 or 08 over my Toyota any day.

Living in a hilly area, I can say I would appreciate a bit more torque than my 07 has, but it isn't essential and since I haven't driven the 08, I don't even know if it would make a noticable difference. I'm hopeful that some performance upgrades may show their head in the next year or two to make up some of the difference.

I doubt you will notice the 30lbs-ft of torque increase and the 10HP bump on a 4,000 lbs CUV. If that were on a 2,000 lbs Lotus then you will feel it.

I ask you, How many people could tell the difference between a 263 watt and 275 watt stereo? I guess there are a few "Audiophiles" out there that would claim they can, but in the real world? I don't think so. Mazda did not build an all new engine for the '08s. They just bumped up the displacement of the 3.5L to 3.7L and began manufacturing the engine in Japan. I just popped for an '07 AWD GT and we love everything about it. I'm not worried about depreciation because in 5 or 6 years when we are ready for a new one I'll sell this one and it won't matter Diddley (Bo) whether it's an '07 or '08. If you can find an '07 that meets your needs, go for it! What's the little Gecko say, "Regardless if you're having dinner with the Queen at the Palace or the Castle, you're having Filet Mignon!

I don't know it may be a new engine. From what I read the Lincoln & Ford will still be using the 263 HP 3.5 V6 for their 08 models.

This is from the Mazda Global Site:

HIROSHIMA, JapanMazda Motor Corporation has announced the introduction of mixed model production on the engine parts machining line at its engine plant located near Mazdas headquarters in Hiroshima. The engine plant manufactures the new 3.7-liter V6 engine and the current in-line four-cylinder 1.8- to 2.3-liter MZR series gasoline engines. Production of V6 engines resumed in May, nearly four years since their manufacture ceased in August 2003. Mazda announced in North America today that the new V6 engine will be mounted in the 2008 CX-9 that is scheduled to go on sale this summer.

There will be a noticable difference. Not earth shattering, but noticable. There is an increase in torque, but also it peaks 250 RPM sooner. So the whole torque curve is changed. Too many people base performance on peak HP numbers, its the torque curve that make the vehicle accelerate. They have probably changed the cams, along with some intake, and tuning adjustments.

Again....the difference won't blow you away, but it will definately be noticable. Is it worth waiting for? Depends what the price difference is and how urgently you need a vehicle.

There will be a noticable difference. Not earth shattering, but noticable. There is an increase in torque, but also it peaks 250 RPM sooner. So the whole torque curve is changed. Too many people base performance on peak HP numbers, its the torque curve that make the vehicle accelerate. They have probably changed the cams, along with some intake, and tuning adjustments.

Again....the difference won't blow you away, but it will definately be noticable. Is it worth waiting for? Depends what the price difference is and how urgently you need a vehicle.

Exactly.

It is worth it, IMO

We test drove an 07 for about 4 hours, it was fine for power, but I still wanted the 3.7 so we waited about 5 weeks for it. Around town, not a huge difference, but on the highway, much improved which is where you would expect the torque difference to be felt. We took the car out on the same drive we did the 3.5, which was some long uphill grades, and based on seat of the pants feel, much easier hill climbing, which is why I wanted the 3.7. We drive long distances often and I wanted the extra power for easier passing and cruising. And it does the 50 to 80MPH pass pretty quickly, and continues right up to 100mph without hesitation. I think it is very much worth the wait and price. But then, when I got my Charger, I wasnt satisfied with 375HP R/T, I needed to get the SRT Superbee with 425HP.(spank)(five-0)

Drove Both, noticed the difference.

I have driven the 07 and 08 grand touring. Noticed a difference while accelerating onto freeways etc. Will admit not mind blowing but a definite improvement. Would I consider it a deal buster? Nahh, its nice but there are far more important issues than a small increase in engine power.
I got the 08 Grand Touring, because I wanted a 08, so if you can dont care and there are some 07 left, go for it. As other people have said, will have very little if any impact on resale value in five years. (I would be surprised if anyone even cared).

Latest posts

Back