worn out side motor mount 2001 ES

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES 2.0
Basically the title tells the story. With 170k on my Mazda I need a new side motor mount. I replaced the one underneath (front) a year or so ago. The car is a daily; I dont race it (I have a 12 second Mustang for that). In the last year I have fallen on hard times. I am wondering if I can use mount inserts for this.: http://protegegarage.com/342-product-342.html. Dealer price for a new mount is almost 200 bucks. I just got a new job but it is a 60 mile a day round trip so I will get caught up soon enough but I am looking for a way to make the drive a bit more comfortable for now. I saw I can get a SLS passenger side mount for $150. I checked and they have replaceable bushings; so that might be an option also. Need some advise; there isnt any bushing left from what I can tell.

Fill them with pl premium construction urethane its 5$ a tube at home depot! Thats what i did! Had a buddy do his still good after 3 track days and 30000 miles

I let mine be bad for a couple months and replaced it when I had the money, although it caused the other side to tear as well. I would stay away from sls if you want aftermarket solid mounts go with awr

I have one use motor mount just let me know which one you need , passager side or driver side .

I also have brand new awr insert .

pm me if you are interested

think it is too far gone for urethane; there isn't any bushing left. it is the passenger side. I didn't even know there was a drivers side?

Cut out all the rubber or torch then put duct tape on one sode then line up the metal pin as close to the middle as you can the put some urethane in there home mad poly mounts for like 15$

Wait I don't get it. You say it's a daily but you are looking at an SLS passenger mount? Just go to ebay and get a good mount for cheap. I recently bought a good one for a great price. I just sent you a PM with a link of the same one I bought and probably the same seller. Good mount there. Solid and connected on both top and bottom, not like many that are only connected on the lower section only. This would be maybe a mount worth filling in though but I wasn't planning on it anyways. I remember seeing a Protege5 at a local junk yard with filled mounts that looked new. They wanted like new prices for them though so I left them there.

My previous mount was toast and had inserts and was the type that was only connected to the lower section. I said eff it and placed the inserts back in again on the new mount. Feels great. Poly is going to take more money than buying a good cheap mount. If your not shifting hard, racing, AutoXing your Protege then get a normal cheap one.

You state your on a budget, there you go.

Last edited:
The stock one is almost 200 bucks. The SLS was 125, the awr was 175. The inserts even cheaper. I might try the fill situation but I dont have a shop; Im in an apartment and I never know when I will need the car so I dont know if I can be sure to give it time to cure. So Im looking for one to just swap out. DarkAngel sent me a link Im following up one. See how that works!

Back