Winter Tires For 20' GT

Hi- After reading the other posts- I am a little unsure as to the size of winter tires that will fit my CX-9 GT. I understand that 18' s will be fine. But will 17's also fit? Dealer is quoting close to $2000 for (18') tires and rims, which sounds ridiculous. Any thoughts/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Hi- After reading the other posts- I am a little unsure as to the size of winter tires that will fit my CX-9 GT. I understand that 18' s will be fine. But will 17's also fit? Dealer is quoting close to $2000 for (18') tires and rims, which sounds ridiculous. Any thoughts/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Check the tire rack. www.tirerack.com

Did you end up getting any winters? What part of Canada are you in? I live in the GTA and drove down to Port Huron Michigan and bought a set of 18" Enkei rims and Dunlop Grandsports which are H rated and paid around $1650 out the door including TPMS. I could have gotten a better deal if I had settled for cheaper tires.l

Reviving thread: looking at possibly getting either real good all seasons, or snows, for the next winter here in CT and New England. I found the stock tires were not very good last year -- really didn't dig in and I had a devil of a time with the traction control system because of it. I'd like to have better traction this year.

Now that we're a year out with these cars, anyone have any insight into very good all season tires that work well with the CX-9, or else whether to go with dedicated snows?

The best option is to get a second set of wheels and tires.

I got a set of 18" factory wheel takeoffs and bought a set of Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5 P235/65/18 winter tires. They are the same outside diameter as the factory 20" wheels and tires, so no speedo recalibration needed. They are WAY better in the winter than ANY all season tire.

If you don't insist on the factory wheels, www.TireRack.com can set you up with a complete set of mounted and balanced wheels and winter tires shipped directly to you.

The best option is to get a second set of wheels and tires.

Perhaps in Chicago, that would be the case. Maryland winters have been more than passable in my '03 Honda Pilot and Bridgestone H/L Alenza m/s tires, and I would expect similar results in an awd cx-9 riding on a good m/s tire.

If I were to purchase today, my choice would be the Yokohama Parada Spec-x in 245/50/VR20 with a 420/A/A and m/s ratings, partly because I like the tire, and partly because there's nothing better right now.

I thought hard about the dedicated wheels and tpms and blizzaks. At $1-1.5K, I just don't see enough snow where I live to justify the expenditure.

Last edited:
Tirerack.com has Blizzak LM-25's in 245/50R20's for $245! Will I be buying them... ummm, no. But for those who REALLY want a set for their OEM 20's, here you go.

Tirerack.com has Blizzak LM-25's in 245/50R20's for $245! Will I be buying them... ummm, no. But for those who REALLY want a set for their OEM 20's, here you go.

I have run Blizzak LM22's on my MS6 for the last 2 seasons before I traded for the CX-9. I travel to Montana pretty regularly in the winter, and I can tell you I would have gladly paid double for the traction and security they provide.

I have tried Michelin Pilot Alpin, Toyo's performance winter tire, and Hankook Icebear's on the MS6 and/or my Protege5 prior as well. None of these hold a candle to the Blizzaks, IMO.

I WILL be ordering these from the tire rack for my CX-9 this year, and consequently will not worry even a tiny bit about my ability to go where and when I like, regardless of weather.

Is AWD enough in the snow? Not by a long shot.

Allow me to pontificate: I find the whole snow-tires-vs-AWD debate confusing. In snowy conditions AWD helps you accelerate without excessive slipping, but doesn't help you brake and only marginally helps you turn. These seem like important elements of driving to me!(2thumbs)

I live in mountainous Colorado Springs where it snows regularly, but the snow doesn't hang around for long. Nevertheless, I don't simply assume that my AWD will give me the traction I need - in this regard I'm a firm believer in the effectiveness of snow tires. I've had front-wheel-drive vehicles equipped with snows that pulled away from AWD vehicles left spinning their wheels. Note the number of SUV's in the ditch this winter, led astray by the false confidence afforded them by their AWD or 4WD. The tread pattern and cold-temperature compound of snow tires really make that much of a difference.

So, I stuck a crowbar in my wallet on Monday and shelled out $1,500 for 235/65 18 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3 tires, 18x8 Sport Edition ST3 rims, and a full set of TPMS sensors (I wouldn't be able to deal with the idiot light throughout the winter) from the Tire Rack. Fred from the TR suggested the Z3's over the Z2's and the Pirelli's, and the narrower width won't plow as much snow. Since I have the GT with 20's, it was only $300 more for this package than the 20" snow tires alone! An easy decision considering I'll be able to make the swap when I see fit, and will save on the service fee each time.

Ultimately, the decision came down to the same questions I always ask myself when it comes to buying brakes and tires: would I be able to live with myself if my wife and child had been injured or killed in a crash that might have been prevented if I had not been such a cheap-skate? No. Would I pay the $1,500 to have them back or healthy? Of course. Then pay the man and live in the comfort of knowing you did all you could to keep them, and you, safe.

I think you make a very good point. AWD is good for acceleration traction (and handling traction marginally) only. Tires determine how well your vehicle accelerates, steers and brakes.

Winter tires not only help you through snow and ice, but also are composed of rubber compounds which remain more pliable in cold weather to provide more grip in dry, cold weather.

I view all season tires like the old saying: jack of all trades, master of none.

Ultimately, the decision came down to the same questions I always ask myself when it comes to buying brakes and tires: would I be able to live with myself if my wife and child had been injured or killed in a crash that might have been prevented if I had not been such a cheap-skate? No. Would I pay the $1,500 to have them back or healthy? Of course. Then pay the man and live in the comfort of knowing you did all you could to keep them, and you, safe.

Well said.

It makes no difference the car you drive, the drive system (AWD, RWD, FWD, Etc.), or what electronic aids (Traction/Stability control, etc.) you have. It all becomes a function of the tires.

I can't see cutting corners on any level with what is literally the ONLY thing between you and the road.

Just as an FYI to the original post, I just put 17" steelies on my 2008 CX-9 GT AWD with Firestone Winterforce 245/65/17s with a 109 load rating. Cost me $1,000 Cdn. The rim clears the front calipers by a *very* slim margin, but you don't really need much.

Good deal if you ask me.

As so many have stated here, tires are the one's doing the work, winter tires are great, just as all season tires really mean; three season tires.

I have LM-25 18 inch on five spoke tire rack aluminum wheels, 1465.00 They are sized at 13 rpm more per mile so the speedo reads 1.2 mph slower.

I love the 20 inchers for their ability to carve up on ramps (still not the best tire for handling, but ok) After sliding through an intersection on the first snow last year, I called tire rack. I would recommend tires that are for high performance suvs, because the grandtrek are for trucks and the handling suffers. You bought a good handling car, might as well use it.

The LM-25 is put on the X5 and some range rovers, that's good nuff for me.

get them tires before you spend the money on your deductable.

Hello guys. Newbie here and found this forum very useful.

My 07 CX-9 AWD GT was fine in the first winter last year. In fact on the first day of snow this year I thought it was fine but when the next snow came down I found out that the cx-9 is actually handling pretty badly in snow. It was very easily sliding and I had to drive really slowly to keep it from sliding watching other suv's and even cars (!) drive by me :-(
I have a 3 yr 45K lease and most definitely I would need to replace my tires come lease return time as I have 22K miles and now it barely passes the "quarter test". So I can either a) buy snow tires with wheels (17 or 18") and hope that the mileage I would get from them in two winters before my lease return would help me return my cx9 with the current original 20" Duelers. Or b) buy new 20" Yoko Prada's or Pirelli Scorpion use them for this and the next winter and return the vehicle with my Duelers. Which option would you guys recommend? The reason I'm even considering option b is because the Duelers did fine last winter when I had around 8K miles on them.

Thanks in advance.

I would not get the Prada's. Another memeber here has them and is not happy with their performance in the snow. I ordered the Pirelli Ice and Snow and they have fantastic reviews for snow traction. They rated better than the Blizzaks that any here are buying. To answer the ?-a new set of 4 tires will run about $800 plus the cost of switching. A winter set will set you back $1000-$1500 and you can sell them when you are done and not have to worry about switching tires seasonally.

I would not get the Prada's. Another memeber here has them and is not happy with their performance in the snow. I ordered the Pirelli Ice and Snow and they have fantastic reviews for snow traction. They rated better than the Blizzaks that any here are buying. To answer the ?-a new set of 4 tires will run about $800 plus the cost of switching. A winter set will set you back $1000-$1500 and you can sell them when you are done and not have to worry about switching tires seasonally.

Maybe 1 member is unhappy with the Parada's, however, plenty, including myself are very satisfied with the performance of the 20" Yokohama Parada's in dry and snow here in Chicago area. TireRack ranks it #1 in its category.

Winter wheels+tires will cost $$$$
Good set of all-season tires with cost much le$$ and no extra expen$e to change them out every winter and spring.

Maybe 1 member is unhappy with the Parada's, however, plenty, including myself are very satisfied with the performance of the 20" Yokohama Parada's in dry and snow here in Chicago area. TireRack ranks it #1 in its category.

Winter wheels+tires will cost $$$$
Good set of all-season tires with cost much le$$ and no extra expen$e to change them out every winter and spring.

I wouldn't risk totaling my car by riding M/S all winter in a bona-fide snow belt. For Maryland winters, the 20" Spec-X does an awesome job for up to a foot of snow.

For the record, the forum member who's unhappy with the snow performance of the Parada is running 22" not 20". All the folks running 20" seem to stand by them, I know I am.

For folks who are high on the factory Bridgestones, I've got three laying around (3,300 miles wear) I could let go for $180. In my opinion, they're not worth much more than that.

For folks who are high on the factory Bridgestones, I've got three laying around (3,300 miles wear) I could let go for $180. In my opinion, they're not worth much more than that.

Maybe you can sell your duelers to a company that makes those horsey tire swings. That's all they are good for anyway.

I'll be getting the Paradas for sure. Can't wait.

Back