Will Not Be Getting Another CX7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infymus

:
CX9, Mazda 3
This morning I filled up 18.9 gallons of premium gas costing me $58.19. It was my weekly Monday morning fill up. I went 277.4 miles on last weeks tank of gas.

Wow, my gas mileage went up from 13.5 to 14.6 this week.

This car is killing me on gas. At roughly $275 to $300 a month in gas, this car is one hell of a gas hog and after owning it for a year and putting 8k miles on it, Ive made my decision I will not be getting another CX7 when my lease expires this coming December.

Once the warmth comes out Ill drive my MX5 PRHT for the entire summer, and then start looking carefully at different Mazda models, and even looking at Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Infinity and Audi. I hope my MX5 (still on a boat crossing the ocean as I type this) gets better gas mileage than the CX7. It is estimated 20-28 so it should be.

The CX7 has been a great car otherwise, but the gas mileage is beyond terrible for a daily driver. Even my wifes CX9 gets slightly better gas mileage than this.

Sorry Mazda, but even my highly modified stage 2 Subaru Legacy GT at 350hp 320tq was getting 23 mpg when I didnt stomp on it.

I know that Mazda is working to eliminate the premium gas, but that is only a $.10 to $.15 cent per gallon decrease, which in the long run doesn't really make much of a dent.

Now that the economy is going into a recession and gas prices are a standard $3.00+ per gallon, it is surprising that Mazda hasn't made changes to increase MPG on its SUV line.

I'm curiuos how you got 18 gallons into a 15 gallon tank? Fuel tank on the CX-7 is 69 L in Canada which converts to 15.2 Imp gallons and 15.7 US gallons. I've never squeazed more than about 66 L into it.

Maybe you are pouring 3 gallons on the ground? :D

The CX7 is a 18.3 gallon tank in the US. Perhaps this morning in 14 degree weather, SMITHS gas station was off a bit. My light was on and I was on the empty line. In fact, I was worried I'd make it from home to the station before heading to work.

As much as my CX-7 is a piece of s***, gas mileage was one thing that never bothered me with it.

I get around 15-17 MPG in the city and I'm really not surprised by this.

I realize some people get pretty crappy mileage, and I don't have anything to say about that. But to be honest, there is no way any 4000lb car is going to get better than 16-18mpg in the city. Look up the EPA mpg ratings for any vehicle around 4000lb, you will get similar figures.

My wife's 2008 non-turbo Legacy is only rated for 20mpg city and its not really that big of a car. The CX7 is a big car with a thirsty engine.

I get 16-18mpg in all stop/go driving with a 10 minute commute. The car barely has time to warm up. I think this mpg is reasonable for the driving conditions.

Ok, it's 14 degrees outside and you want great MPG, in a 4000LBS(over that with people in the car) SUV, with an AUTO, and a Turbocharged overworked 4cyl engine, I seem to miss "it" here, but no where did I see Mazda advertise this car as a gas sipper, it is getting less than the sticker states but really Real World MPG can vary so much.

AWD makes things worse because of the added weight and the fact that it comes on as it pleases.

Also, I mean seriously the Subaru was highly modded any anyone that cares to read the boards here knows that the intake system, exhaust system, engine IC is all restrictive in-design and does not let the engine breathe.

If I CC on the Freeway at 70-75 MPH I get an impressive 22MPG, if not I get 15-16MPG, this is cycling back and forth, lots of passing, wind resistance, etc.

Now in the city I get 15-17 no matter what I do, because the engine is nearly always in boost when I drive.

AWD RW MPG said:

FWD RW MPG said:

The Tribute gets MPG just like the McCR-V.

Last edited:
Actually to be honest the gas mileage is quite good... my S2000 got me around 20 MPG in the city, and that's a 2800 lb car with a 2.2L 4 cylinder NA engine.

to be getting almost the same in this thing (2.3L turbo, AWD, automatic, 3900? lbs) is quite impressive.

Fan boys will be fan boys.
People who b**** about an SUV's MPG will not ever get a clue.

And you're in cold weather where the MPG will always drop, really, you need to get a grip on the situation.

You should have looked into what you we're getting into, because maybe 2 weeks ago I saw YOU saying inspite of it's shortcomings you would get another.

The links I provided, + weather the show that the MPG you're getting is perfectly normal for the CX-7.

Then you come here and start a thread contradicting what you said not too long ago, I really don't understand where you're coming from.

Last edited:
The CX7 is a 18.3 gallon tank in the US.

Really?

That pisses me off. My biggest complaint on my CX-7 is the small gas tank. I'm fine with the mileage, I just wish the the tank was bigger so it would have a longer range. I thought maybe a bigger tank wouldn't fit or somehow throw off the dynamics, but obviously it fits fine. 80 L tank would be perfect. Wonder why they put a smaller tank in the Canadian version?

People who b**** about an SUV's MPG will not ever get a clue.

And you're in cold weather where the MPG will always drop, really, you need to get a grip on the situation.

You should have looked into what you we're getting into, because maybe 2 weeks ago I saw YOU saying inspite of it's shortcomings you would get another.

The links I provided, + weather the show that the MPG you're getting is perfectly normal for the CX-7.

Then you come here and start a thread contradicting what you said not too long ago, I really don't understand where you're coming from.

While it may seem perfectly normal for the CX7, the sticker said 18-23, NOT 12-15.

It wasn't two weeks ago, it was in November. I do reserve the right to change my mind? Jesus Christ what is it with these forums - anyone who bitches about the CX7 gets hammered by idiots like you. Typical fan boy.

Wow because the EPA is so Accurate right? I don't know why they needed revisions, their old method of testing underestimated the MPG on all cars ever built, I know my Prius got 60 MPG like the EPA said.

You came here to b**** about something that is common knowledge, and it should be expected from an SUV of this heft.

You sounded completely unhappy and as if you had tons of problems when you made that other post, but still willing to buy another?=fanboy.

I have never put anything above 16 gals into the tank, even when the empty light has gone on for a while. I think there is a 2 gals of so in the reserve for the 18-gal rated tank. I don't know how you could put 18+ gals in the car. Anyway, gas mileage for any SUV this size is about the same.

It's possible. The tank holds 18+ gallons, but I agree that in most instances, I use about 15 - 16 gallons myself. Once the light goes on, you have about 3 gallons or so left in the tank.

In any case, the point is moot. Mileage is a factor for most people and the fact is that 13-15 mpg is much less than most here are likely getting. I can tell you I would be pissed if I were getting so little! On average, I am at about 18-19 mpg; as high as 22 on some occassions.

To the OP; sorry the CX-7 didn't work out for you. I just hope it's not an unscrupulous gas station that is tainting your view of the car! Very strange that the pump was off by ~5%; maybe more!

I am quite satisfied with the mileage I'm getting. I get 19 city in the summer and 17-18 in the winter. Last hwy trip I took I got 25 MPG cruising at about 75 MPH. Good numbers for a 3920lbs CUV with 244 HP. I would just like that 18 gallon tank and things would be perfect!!

However if I was getting 12 MPG like Infymus, that's not quite good enough. I'd expect that in a HEMI Durango that weighs 5000lbs+, but not in something this size. Assuming he has all the latest updates, I don't know how I get 7 MPG better. Better gas up here I guess could account for some of that difference, but not all. I think most of us would agree that 12 MPG is too low. I do understand that lot of you are sick of hearing about it, but lets stay civil.

I'd like to tell you that a new 09 at the end of your lease will get better mileage, but I certainly understand if the sour taste left by your 07 is too much.

Same here Mazda3...I get 19mpg in summer...17-18 in winter....I am fine with that...it's what Mazda has stated... when in fact, most cars get much less than stated on sticker. I agree too...I would not be happy getting 13-14mpg at all....some cars just get that for some reason.

Last edited:
While it may seem perfectly normal for the CX7, the sticker said 18-23, NOT 12-15.

It wasn't two weeks ago, it was in November. I do reserve the right to change my mind? Jesus Christ what is it with these forums - anyone who bitches about the CX7 gets hammered by idiots like you. Typical fan boy.

My S2000 got 8-10 MPG on the track. Should I b**** about that being inaccurate? (The window sticker says 20/28 or something).

I think my CX-7 is the worst automobile I've ever owned (lots of problems with it), so I'm far from a fan boy, but let's be honest, the real-world fuel economy in the CX-7 is in the same range as comparable vehicles and I don't see how anyone can complain about it.

Is there a possibility you're not calculating your gas mileage correctly? I've witnessed numerous people quoting strange gas mileage numbers to find out their method for calculation is completely wrong.

I've been getting about 19.7 average with half highway half city driving for me. It costs me about $45/week for gas. A lot higher than my Cobalt was prior to my CX7, but not completely upset with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back