Why the CX 9 leads it's class

That's why I shop for dealers as much as cars. Our local dealer has a rental car branch for loaners (no charge with warranty repair). The other dealer I went to loaned cards from their lot. Mazda (or any manufacturer) doesn't dictate how dealers operate, so they too, unfortunately, are at the mercy of their poor service sometimes.

Yes, I've had a few issues with our CX9, but they are nothing like the things owners of certain other makes have to go through. I had to have the information display changed to fix the clock, and the gas cap replaced, and 2 recall tasks done (both minor). Big deal. Mazda never tried to weasel out of these thing. In fact, the two recalls were brought to our attention BY Mazda. They are not listed with the TSBs.

At 80k our 99 CR-V started running poorly. It acted like it was dieseling and would even die sometime when I stopped. As it turned out, that engine needed to have a valve adjustment every 30k instead of 105k as stated in the service interval chart. Basically a misprint.
Honda chose to keep quiet about the problem instead of send a letter (like Mazda did) to owners instructing them to have the valves adjusted every 30k. So when the engine failed, it required the replacement of the entire head assembly. Over $1000 in repairs dumped onto the owners.
I didn't pay because I did some research after reading the codes myself. I did a search on the car model and code failures, and eventually found an online copy of the TSB. Armed with the codes and the TSB, I took our car in and demanded that Honda pay for the repairs. It took me hours of making noise at the dealer, but they finally agreed and did the repairs under warranty. Of course, the unhappy dealer (they lost) held the car twice as long as needed, and returned it after dumping a bunch of oil all over the engine (oops, I guess), but I didn't pay a cent, other than in aggravation.
Needless to say, we will NEVER buy another Honda. It worked out anyway, since no longer looking at the Pilot led us to shop around again and find the CX9.

I'll take Mazdas any day, since none of the 5 I've owned ever left me on the side of a road.

I had the oportunity to have an up close look at a 2008 Ford Taurus X Limited the other day. The lasting impression in my mind is the unbelievably cheap interior. This is a vehicle the lists at about $48k CDN, around the same as a GT CX-9. Even worse than the cheap materials though was the uncomfortable back seat. The head and legroom was fine, but the bottom and seatback felt like bricks. It was like the seat was made of plywood. The CX-9 is so far ahead of this vehicle in every area I really can't imagine anyone making a comparison between the two.

Even worse than the cheap materials though was the uncomfortable back seat. The head and legroom was fine, but the bottom and seatback felt like bricks. It was like the seat was made of plywood. The CX-9 is so far ahead of this vehicle in every area I really can't imagine anyone making a comparison between the two.

I rode in the back of mine this weekend for the first time and I was beyond impressed!

I am 6'3" and my wife who I was behind is 5'11" and I had tons of room. I reclined the back seat and was livin the life (guitar)

Most people don't compare. That's why lousy cars sell. There is a significant difference in quality and engineering between the CX9 and the Edge, even though they are based on the same platform. That goes for all Fords. Cheap Mazda must be really embarrassed to have the Flying M put on Rangers and Escapes. Both are garbage.

Pisses me off to see an Arizona Ford dealer trying to guilt people into buying Fords because they are American. My response is "Build a better car and I will"

A lot of 'American' cars are assembled in Canada and Mexico anyway, and even if they build them here, the PARTS come from other countries. So no blind loyalty here.

This is why they don't deserve a bailout for mismanaging their company. They flood the market with more crappy cars than there are buyers for, even if everyone settled for that junk, and then can't figure out why they lose money...just like the housing industry. What a mystery.

I can't imagine spending $48K and not doing some research and comperative shopping. The seats in that Taurus X were so bad I didn't even bother to drive it. I expect that quality of seat in a Hyundai Accent, not a $40k Crossover vehicle. Just imagine the amount of people buying these that never even looked at the CX-9. Really quite mind boggling.

Don't forget the others that sell because the CX9 didn't get a look:

Tribeca (cramped and overpriced)
Murano (2 less seats for the same money)
Highlander (ick)
Pilot (why?)
Veracruz (very nice for less money, if you don't have 7 adults)
Edge (ball = dropped)
'Lambdas' (more room and towing, but no fun, either)

XC90 (retarded seats, no room)
X5 (way too small for the $$)
450GL (<1 sec faster with a premium gas V8)
Q7 (15k more for one front seat cupholder?)
Touareg (just plain overpriced)

Yes, I think the CX9 is fairly competitive with the last 5, since a GT is very similarly equipped for a LOT less money. It also offers features some of them don't, like BSM, and 3 zone auto climate control, etc. It will also perform quite well against them. Snobs can't be seen in a Mazda, though.

If you compare it to all of these and aren't hooked on status, the CX9 beats every single one, unless you need that 8th seat and better towing of the 'lambdas'.

I agree with Sporty.... The closest competitor to the CX-9 is the New Murano. However, the Murano doesn't seat 7. As for Toyotas, they seem to go the extra mile in cost cutting these days. Just check out the interiors of the Highlander and Venza.

Last edited:
Here's a question for everyone...

I define 'Crossover' as a SUV style car based wagon with minivan seating (7 or 8). Accurate?

Our title does list our CX9 as a Station Wagon, though.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter.

If you are not happy with what you purchased....trade it in.

If you are happy with what you purchased, stop comparing it. You bought it! Those are rounds down range, you can't change the ballistics.

If you are not happy, use the knowledge that you have gained from that purchase and buy something else next time.

I really don't care if brand "X" is better, what we have now is what we wanted.

It doesn't matter.

If you are not happy with what you purchased....trade it in.

If you are happy with what you purchased, stop comparing it. You bought it! Those are rounds down range, you can't change the ballistics.

If you are not happy, use the knowledge that you have gained from that purchase and buy something else next time.

I really don't care if brand "X" is better, what we have now is what we wanted.

Our forum members can compare their vehicles all they want. There is nothing wrong with this thread. If it bothers you don't read it.

Here's a question for everyone...

I define 'Crossover' as a SUV style car based wagon with minivan seating (7 or 8). Accurate?

Our title does list our CX9 as a Station Wagon, though.

Crossover is an SUV type vehicle that is built on a car-like platform where the focus is on the fact that it drives like a car not a truck.

A SUV should be more rugged with some off-road capabilites and a higher tow capacity.

A CUV should have a car like ride, but with more ground clearance than a car and more versitile cargo space like a wagon or SUV. You give up the off-road capabilites and towing to have a nicer driving vehicle. I don't think it has to have 7/8 seats, the CX-7 is still a CUV with 5 seats.

Fair enough, 3. Just curious.

I compare other vehicles because I want to get people to develop the mindset to go out and compare. You notice that I have specific points about each vehicle, rather than just saying the CX9 is better because I own one. There are plenty of people who bought CX9's because they never looked at anything else, just like every other car. I chose it because it fit our needs, AND is the most well thought out and functional version of this type of car.

Cars should be better or worse because of the individuals taste and needs, not because of build quality or engineering and design.

If more people comparison shop, then we all get better cars.

Our forum members can compare their vehicles all they want. There is nothing wrong with this thread. If it bothers you don't read it.

Sorry, I didn't articulate my thoughts clearly.

I didn't intend it to sound as a complaint or imply that there is something wrong with the thread. It doesn't bother me at all.

It was more or less my outlook on life, I should have typed 'needed' instead of 'wanted,'

..........probably shouldn't have posted it.

Sorry, I didn't articulate my thoughts clearly.

I didn't intend it to sound as a complaint or imply that there is something wrong with the thread. It doesn't bother me at all.

It was more or less my outlook on life, I should have typed 'needed' instead of 'wanted,'

..........probably shouldn't have posted it.

No problem. It's sometimes hard to tell how someone meant their message through a keyboard.

Last edited:
Back