Why no COLOR choices

Raymo853

:
2010 Mazda 3 Sport Five Door 6 speed
Why does Mazda offer no good color choices for the 3? It seems they just offer shades of gray, black, silver like every other car is offered in. The copper red and stormy blue are ok but still not great. How about something, anything with a little pigment. A real red again, how about a real green or something funky like a yellow or purple. Something that will not just blend in with the rest of the cars with rental car color.

mazda has offered funky colors over the years.

copper mica, phantom blue (still offered) there was a sunburst yellow one year.

the colors are dropped and rotated through the years so they can constantly change the lineup.

also, car colors are developed and chosen a long time in advance long before they are released. Its a long process that invovles research of whats in style, whats going out of style, what works, what doesnt, etc. They also look at what colors sell the most of. So if they see that more people by black and silver cars, they will put out more variants of those shades.

I love my copper red mica, but I understand what this guy is saying. I was originally looking at the mazda6, but I hated the color choices (when I looked it was black/white/bright red/silver/purple). It was just another reason I ended up with the Mazda3 instead.

easy. stick w/ simple color options and you will have an easier time selling the car versus a more unique color options.

There is a Mazda3 (4-Door) around here that is custom painted the same orange as the Mitsubishi Eclipse, the lastest body style, and it looks really good. They have black rims on it, and it kind of looks like a pumpkin but I like it.

Last edited:
I did know what ncz13 mentioned, it is really not Mazda's doing but the trend of the US car buyer. And yes Mazda is one of the few that has offered any real colors in the recent market. I cam to this conclusion after a long drive around the DC metro area and 1:00 of waiting in an office overlooking a major filled 8 lane highway. It was so rare to see any car that was not gray/silver/black/dark blue. The few colors I saw were bright reds. I even followed a copper red 3 for a bit but as it got further away its color really faded in to the rest of the cars.

On the most recent season of Top gear (uk) they discussed color trends during their little current events/news segment. They had the same conclusions, that all the car companys main color offerings were of the dark color spectrum. Blacks, greys, silvers, blues, and whites.

Both stock colors.

9883257229_256371911_IM1_08_565x421.jpg

8557163556_249472253_IM1_MAIN_565x4.jpg

Seeing the past yellow and orange only makes me more upset at the Mazda of today.

raymo853 said:
Why does Mazda offer no good color choices for the 3? It seems they just offer shades of gray, black, silver like every other car is offered in. The copper red and stormy blue are ok but still not great. How about something, anything with a little pigment. A real red again, how about a real green or something funky like a yellow or purple. Something that will not just blend in with the rest of the cars with rental car color.

They've offered both yellow and purple in the past.. iirc neither sold very well. Even though they have several "bland" colors the paints themselves are still rather dynamic. Most other cars that compare to the 3 don't have metallic paint, and most don't have the semi-color changing look of the paint in different lighting.

We had a similar conversation going on over on another forum about color choices over the years, what was common vs. what we reused vs. what was unique. This is the list I came up with.

-seven blues (winning, strato, aurora, icy, phantom, stormy, cosmic)
-four grays (titanium, carbon, galaxy, metropolitan)
-three reds (true, copper, velocity)
-three whites (rally, CWP, WWP)
-two gold/sands (shimmering, golden)
-two greens (nordic, starlight)

The only ones I can think of that they pretty much stood alone/didn't change are: solar yellow, lava orange, black mica, phantom purple, and sunlight silver. Actually this might be the first year that the 3i and 3s come with the same color options.

Well it looks like the velocity red is coming back for the new 2010, based on the Canadian market spec sheet. I am hoping that color is offered in the US too.

Any chance someone has a photo of a True Red and Velocity Red Mazda next to each other?

You think these options are bad? Take a look at Mazdaspeed 3 options. For 09they've only got black, white, red and a slightly lighter shade of black.

You think these options are bad? Take a look at Mazdaspeed 3 options. For 09they've only got black, white, red and a slightly lighter shade of black.

Treating 3 speed buyers badly is not justification for treating normal 3 buyers badly.

Back